Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Autospring install with photos

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 08:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Nates06SCab
I just wanted to add a big thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread for educating me, and making the install a breeze. Thanks all!
X2 ,thanks for the pics and info.
I installed my 2" Auto Spring last weekend.Thanks to this thread, it made the job a lot easier.
I love my truck's new stance.

Old 09-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My AS 2.5" is currently in the mail -- should be ready for install by this weekend, I hope!! I'm excited to get started, i just wish the links to the pics weren't dead. There are a few pics re-posted on page 5, but not all of them are there...

Hopefully this is as easy as it looks...

Old 09-23-2006, 12:48 PM
Is there some secret to getting these ball joints to pop loose? I've beat this steering knuckle for a while and the damned thing just won't break free.

I've got it soaked in WD40 hoping it might work it's way in. I've tried to spin the ball joint bolt with a 3/8 socket but it's locked tight and the socket slipped doing some damage. So now it's end is stripped a bit and I don't want to do anymore damage there. I could fit a wrench on there still further up.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Impact9
Is there some secret to getting these ball joints to pop loose? I've beat this steering knuckle for a while and the damned thing just won't break free.

I've got it soaked in WD40 hoping it might work it's way in. I've tried to spin the ball joint bolt with a 3/8 socket but it's locked tight and the socket slipped doing some damage. So now it's end is stripped a bit and I don't want to do anymore damage there. I could fit a wrench on there still further up.

Are you allowing your lower arm or suspension hang freely?? I've got mine to pop off fairly easy with a good hit with a hammer where the picture shows.. I've had mine off and on more than I have wanted to though. There was one time where it wouldn't come so I used a gear puller and it worked great.

Old 09-23-2006, 02:46 PM
Yea it was hanging freely. I got them to break loose though using a butane torch to heat the knuckle while tapping. Broke free in no time once it got hot. Thanks for the reply!

Old 10-17-2006, 12:22 AM
Technical Article Contributor

I replaced most of the pics. I had to improvise with some other pics I had laying around so let me know if anything seems to be missing or confusing.

Old 10-22-2006, 04:52 PM
Thanks alot man, you saved me who knows how many hundreds of dollars the 4wheel store was going to charge. Ill try the install as soon as it comes in and ill tell you how it goes... thanks!

Old 04-13-2007, 02:26 PM
hey man, is your truck a deep blue XLT?

Old 05-01-2007, 12:45 PM
Sorry to bring the thread back up, but I have a few questions. Now that a lot of you have *** installed and some time has gone by, how many of you had the alignment done? Any problems? Warranty issues with any part of the truck due to the AS being installed? About to order one. Thanks for the great thread.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:31 PM
I had the AS 2.5" kit on my truck prior to my lift and had it aligned by the same shop that did the install for me. I never had a problem with it in the 8 months that it was on my truck and would easily do it again on any truck I own in the future. It only voids your warranty if the problem can be traced back to you having the leveling kit installed on your truck.

Do a search and you will find plenty of information about the kit and asnswers to all of your questions.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Originally Posted by wxscpo
I had the AS 2.5" kit on my truck prior to my lift and had it aligned by the same shop that did the install for me. I never had a problem with it in the 8 months that it was on my truck and would easily do it again on any truck I own in the future. It only voids your warranty if the problem can be traced back to you having the leveling kit installed on your truck.

Do a search and you will find plenty of information about the kit and asnswers to all of your questions.
Thanks for the info. Did a lot of reading on it last night. I just ordered a 2.5'' kit and found a Co. hear to install it for $70 plus $70 to do the alignment.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:36 PM
Nice write up

Old 05-16-2007, 01:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Haven't had a single problem with my AS. No warranty issues. But then again my dealer doesn't suck.

I am starting to wonder if the dealers mess around with the younger guys because they think they can get away with more... I rarely have a dealer problem. But I WON'T let Deb take her car in without me...

Old 05-30-2007, 09:58 PM
Cant wait to install mine... maybe in a few weeks.

Old 06-02-2007, 10:39 PM
just got my 2.5" as installed today, took a while to get the ball joint back together, but finally did, and after we got the first done in about an hour and a half, took us less than half on the other side lol

couple of concerns though, is an alignment necessary right away? and when i turn my wheel all the way to the left or the right it dips in that direction, is that normal?

followed the directions as close as possible, still looks gr8 imo

Quick Reply: Autospring install with photos