Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Do It Yourself Intake Modification for 2004-2008

Old 08-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotts Mod-EZ

Ok, after reading all the various way you folks have done this, I took the plunge. However, with a very slight difference in going about it. My truck is a 2004 F150 SCab FX4 with only 54,000 miles.

To put it quite simple you need only one part for this mod. That part is the Speed by Spectre - Air Ducting Part # 8741 (number different if colored other than black) http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0&keyword=8741. It comes with rubber connectors/couplings on both ends, with a slightly narrower section that will fit perfectly into both the main body of the original 2004-2008 air intake and the oblong fender holes.

Simply work the Spectre (expanding bellows completely compressed) 3" hose to fill the rubber coupling that will go in to the abs plastic air intake, the work the coupling into the ABS plastic intake up to the larger section of coupling that will keep it from going too far in. Next you will then work the proper amount of the Spectre tubing (compressed once again) through the end that will go through both the inner and outer fender holes (use the measurement of the original fender grommet to the snorkel end and add maybe a 1/4"), then work the coupling into the fender hole up to the larger section of the coupling. The excess Specter tubing sticking through this coupling should get you through both holes and take care of the leaves that may get sucked etc. The rubber connectors are identical on both ends of the Spectre hose, just make sure you have the two large ends of the coupling facing each other. Once these are pushed in tightly they will not pull out easily. Also, you will notice in my pics that it leaves almost 3" of compressed hose next to the ABS plastic stock intake to compensate for any engine twisting for torque caused by hard acceleration or towing.

Now I added a stainless clamp to the end the original ABS plastic intake opening, and tightened it down just for piece of mind. However, I can say this ... I removed it twice (prior to the clamp addition) making the adjustments I wanted to the hose to get it through both fender holes and it was pretty hard to remove either end once pushed into the holes completely without the clamp, so the clamp is really not needed. Mainly I just wanted the plastic end to look cleaner.

As you can see from the pics below, I did not use any home depot or lowes downspouts etc, I used only the $19.99 Spectre hose and it took almost no time at all. Yes, you can do it a dollar or two cheaper, but this was one stop, one piece and very clean.

As for results, not exactly sure yet as I am waiting for my replacement Edge Evo to be returned from Edge, as my original one kept losing it's memory and having to have it's external memory re-flashed, so the good folks at edge are replacing it.

Here are a few pics and if I do say so myself it looks much cleaner.

I tried to add this to the original How To Thread, but was unable to. With that said I hope the administration and the rest of you good folks do not mind my me adding my version of this little mod to the forums.

Last edited by Tazfords; 08-24-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:54 PM
Just did this, easy as pie!!

Old 08-01-2012, 01:24 AM
Y'all can add me to the Gotts Mod now

Old 09-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by blueovelboy
well you will pull hot air in from the motor all you need is a 1 1/4 plug a 1" and a 3/4 plug you should be able to find at home depot in the sprinkler section and i did mine last week then put on duel exhaust and a k&n drop in and put it on the dyno at a friends shop and got a 13.9 more hp and think it was 7 tk and then this weekend did about 900 mile road trip pulling a 32' t ton trailer to LA. and the last time i did this it cost me 4 tanks of gas this time did it in 2 and a 3/4 tanks thats a great plus i went up the grape vine at 70 mph with peddle left last time it was 55 or 6o and no peddle left foot stayed on the floor if you would like to see the pics of my intake here you go

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...0-101-0091.jpg
good job

Last edited by mlaugh; 09-09-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by blueovelboy
well you will pull hot air in from the motor all you need is a 1 1/4 plug a 1" and a 3/4 plug you should be able to find at home depot in the sprinkler section and i did mine last week then put on duel exhaust and a k&n drop in and put it on the dyno at a friends shop and got a 13.9 more hp and think it was 7 tk and then this weekend did about 900 mile road trip pulling a 32' t ton trailer to LA. and the last time i did this it cost me 4 tanks of gas this time did it in 2 and a 3/4 tanks thats a great plus i went up the grape vine at 70 mph with peddle left last time it was 55 or 6o and no peddle left foot stayed on the floor if you would like to see the pics of my intake here you go

https://www.f150online.com/forums/me...0-101-0091.jpg
good job .............very interesting

Old 09-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by Tazfords
Ok, after reading all the various way you folks have done this, I took the plunge. However, with a very slight difference in going about it. My truck is a 2004 F150 SCab FX4 with only 54,000 miles.

To put it quite simple you need only one part for this mod. That part is the Speed by Spectre - Air Ducting Part # 8741 (number different if colored other than black) http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0&keyword=8741. It comes with rubber connectors/couplings on both ends, with a slightly narrower section that will fit perfectly into both the main body of the original 2004-2008 air intake and the oblong fender holes.

Simply work the Spectre (expanding bellows completely compressed) 3" hose to fill the rubber coupling that will go in to the abs plastic air intake, the work the coupling into the ABS plastic intake up to the larger section of coupling that will keep it from going too far in. Next you will then work the proper amount of the Spectre tubing (compressed once again) through the end that will go through both the inner and outer fender holes (use the measurement of the original fender grommet to the snorkel end and add maybe a 1/4"), then work the coupling into the fender hole up to the larger section of the coupling. The excess Specter tubing sticking through this coupling should get you through both holes and take care of the leaves that may get sucked etc. The rubber connectors are identical on both ends of the Spectre hose, just make sure you have the two large ends of the coupling facing each other. Once these are pushed in tightly they will not pull out easily. Also, you will notice in my pics that it leaves almost 3" of compressed hose next to the ABS plastic stock intake to compensate for any engine twisting for torque caused by hard acceleration or towing.

Now I added a stainless clamp to the end the original ABS plastic intake opening, and tightened it down just for piece of mind. However, I can say this ... I removed it twice (prior to the clamp addition) making the adjustments I wanted to the hose to get it through both fender holes and it was pretty hard to remove either end once pushed into the holes completely without the clamp, so the clamp is really not needed. Mainly I just wanted the plastic end to look cleaner.

As you can see from the pics below, I did not use any home depot or lowes downspouts etc, I used only the $19.99 Spectre hose and it took almost no time at all. Yes, you can do it a dollar or two cheaper, but this was one stop, one piece and very clean.

As for results, not exactly sure yet as I am waiting for my replacement Edge Evo to be returned from Edge, as my original one kept losing it's memory and having to have it's external memory re-flashed, so the good folks at edge are replacing it.

Here are a few pics and if I do say so myself it looks much cleaner.

I tried to add this to the original How To Thread, but was unable to. With that said I hope the administration and the rest of you good folks do not mind my me adding my version of this little mod to the forums.
I did exactly as you said. I was impressed with how nice it looked by your pictures. So...........................I did it.
The next day I took my truck on a 300 mile trip pulling my trailer. Well It did seem to breathe a little better. So I am happy ..............I just wanted to thank you.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:43 PM
hey guys auto zone has these also. Thats all i have to shop at in this town.. not by choice. but they do have them

just finnished mine easy as pie

Old 09-19-2012, 06:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Link is bad in post #91.....here's a better link>>>
Amazon Amazon

Old 01-17-2013, 05:48 AM
Spectre installed

Did the SPECTRE mod install.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:28 PM
OOG
Just completed this install this morning. Took my truck for a drive and noticed a change in the throttle response. Since the day I purchased my truck there has always been a hesitation whenever I accelerate above 30 MPH. Did not matter if it was WOT or just normal driving my truck always felt like it took a second before the power kicked in after pushing on the gas pedal. That hesitation is completely gone. I have a few hills in my neighborhood and the truck had great throttle response while climbing. Well worth the $20 investment.

Old 09-07-2013, 09:10 PM
i did this to my 2004 4.6 supercrew. it has the diablo predator. any recommendations on what tune will optimize the improved breathing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do It Yourself Intake Modification for 2004-2008