Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Do It Yourself Intake Modification for 2004-2008

Old 01-19-2011, 12:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow im shocked that it took some one that long to make a dirty comment about that pic.

Last edited by TRUCKMAN63; 01-23-2011 at 04:01 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw

giggity giggity giggity, and dang thats a tight grip you got
good thing you didn't use the "D" or "P" word for that device there or you'd be in trouble or even worse

Old 01-27-2011, 01:43 PM
I went to both Lowes and Home Depot looking for 3" abs pipe and could not find any. Is this the right pipe: http://www.amazon.com/Charlotte-Pipe.../dp/B002KIG0FY

Old 01-28-2011, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by wesshipman
I went to both Lowes and Home Depot looking for 3" abs pipe and could not find any. Is this the right pipe: http://www.amazon.com/Charlotte-Pipe.../dp/B002KIG0FY
i cant believe home depot didn't have it. just wondering if you checked the plumbing section. or was it they had everything else.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:38 AM
Nobody is really selling ABS anymore. It was a cheap alternative to PVC when it was around but it was much more prone to leaks when used in plumbing and that's why it has just about disappeared. Only cheap builders used to use that crap and it's even hard to find adapters to go from ABS to PVC to fix drains.

BTW wesshipman, that looks like the right pipe but you could buy the same size and length white PVC at Home Depot for only $6. Just spray it black if you really had to.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:51 AM
This is a much better way of doing this mod. Much cleaner. I just did this mod in 10 minutes time. Total cost for the Spectre duct (8741), K&N filter (33-2287), and the rubber downspout connector was ~$73.00.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/3818781-post74.html

Old 01-28-2011, 08:12 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by lidxfld
This is a much better way of doing this mod. Much cleaner. I just did this mod in 10 minutes time. Total cost for the Spectre duct (8741), K&N filter (33-2287), and the rubber downspout connector was ~$73.00.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/3818781-post74.html

It's not 'better', only different. And certainly more expensive.

Most folks paid anywhere from 'free' to ~$15.

The K&N panel is just a needless waste of money, IMHO - it flows no better than the OEM MC filter, produces ZERO perf gains, and is less effective at keeping the air clean. And now you need to keep a close eye on the MAF for any oil contamination.

But - choice IS a great thing! And it does look good!

MGD

Old 01-28-2011, 08:26 AM
You are correct. It is different, not better. Wrong choice of words. Without the K&N the cost was $20.00.

Old 01-28-2011, 11:15 AM
I will probably just get some regular white pvc pipe and spray paint it black, it seems like the quickest and cheapest method.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by DarkShadowSTX
Nobody is really selling ABS anymore. It was a cheap alternative to PVC when it was around but it was much more prone to leaks when used in plumbing and that's why it has just about disappeared. Only cheap builders used to use that crap and it's even hard to find adapters to go from ABS to PVC to fix drains.

BTW wesshipman, that looks like the right pipe but you could buy the same size and length white PVC at Home Depot for only $6. Just spray it black if you really had to.
wow here in the quake capitol of the word(S.F. California). all we can use is ABS for a waste line? reasons are due to it's strength and lack of failure. (straight out of the 1999 code book ) are you sure your not confused with that black thin wall crap (p&c type pipe) thay used back in the 70s for drinking water and not for waste?

Old 01-28-2011, 10:22 PM
^^ Um I'm sure. Completely different types of pipe. ABS sucks, end of story. 1999 code book? Get with it, its 2011 now.
Since when did they use black pipe for drinking water? Never heard of that, besides 70's are before my time.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:35 PM
I dont think it really matters what you use for this intake. If you can set a good sized brick on it and it doesn't crunch it will work for this project.

I do know of the black pipe and it is kinda junky. One thing it is good for is running water under ground past high traffic areas because it wont crack like PVC. It has enough give to it that it lasts for a long time. I think the overflow pipe we have from our windmill water trough was put in the ground over 40 years ago, placing it in the correct time period. That pipe was dry for over 10 years and when we hooked it back up it washed all the bugs and snakes out, been working great since.

I think it was JUST waste water that it was used for. I have never seen it used on drinking water.

And 1999 isn't THAT old for building codes, heck, they arrested two guys in Austin TX a few weeks ago because of laws that were written in the 1800s.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:11 AM
1999 was the only one i have. most of your major cities are at least two code books back if not more. reason it takes forever to adopt the new codes? training there inspectors / getting contractor's to comply?. thats just a guess.
darkshadowstx are you a plumber or in the trades? i know when i was in the carpenter union way back in 1988 we used ABS in new homes! now in electrical since 1994 and every plumber i have seen uses it. that around here but who know in place's like Ohio where you live it's different?

enough sorry for the thread jack

white PVC will work as well. might even get some paint on it. you know give it the custom look!

Old 01-29-2011, 08:03 AM
White PVC works just fine. That's what I used on my truck. You don't even see it on my 4.6L since the fernco is right up to the fender when its all done.

Blueovalboy, I work for a general contractor and we do everything there is. Sewers, excavation, additions, painting, plumbing, electrical, roofing, etc. You name it, we do it or have guys that do it if we're too busy. From what I see, Ohio uses a 2007 code book for plumbing. We have never used ABS on our jobs, even new houses, and the only times I have ever seen it used was in poorly built houses by other builders. Every drain is ABS in those houses.

Old 02-07-2011, 09:04 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Did the mod today on my 07 screw. My opinion on this is still up in the air a bit. On the con side shaping the 3" ABS pipe was a PITA. Now, granted I did not use electric tools. I used a rasp and a file and took my time. I was concerned about taking too much plastic off so I kept taking material off and then checking the fit repeatedly. After grinding nearly half of the pipe material off the end, I was able to make it fit. I will confess to being a bit concerned that someday the end could crack, a piece come off, and suddenly I am sucking pieces of ABS up into the intake. One would think the filter would stop it but... Other than the hassle of grinding down the pipe to fit, the rest of the assembly was a piece of cake.

First impression on driving it is that it has better throttle response and slightly more power. However, I also cleaned my MAF while I was at it. So, I do not know if the slight gains are all from the intake or a combination of both. I think come summer when I am driving up and over the Sierras the real benefit may be revealed up in the thinner air. I have the materials to do the same project on my 01 Expedition but I'm tempted to source some pipe that is more flexible first. Waste of time and money to do that?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do It Yourself Intake Modification for 2004-2008