Articles & How-To's *NOW WITH VIDEO SECTION!*

Do It Yourself Intake Modification for 2004-2008

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 01:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I read somewhere that pvc getts brittle over time and could break up in the intake. I didnt think it would do that but just to be safe I went with the abs and shaped it down with a grinder so I didnt use the rubber parts.

Last edited by che22879; 04-25-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by che22879
I read somewhere that pvc getts brittle over time and could break up in the intake. I didnt think it would do that but just to be sake I went with the abs and shaped it down with a grinder so I didnt use the rubber parts.
I know that PVC gets brittle after being in the sun a lot but I don't know how it would be that much different just being under the hood

I see where you are coming from though

Old 05-03-2010, 01:34 AM
would do the intake mod help a V6 very much and is it a good louder like make it seem meaner or is it just a loud noise?

Old 05-03-2010, 03:42 PM
the entire ribbed tube on the outside of the intake tube is the baffle right? i wanna do this mod but dont wanna screw anything up either

Old 05-26-2010, 06:52 PM
This seems the simplest. I went to Lowe's today and they didn't have abs piping. I'll Home Depot per suggestion. Don't have a sander or Dremel however.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Got the install done today, took about 2.5 hours, most of the time was spent on trying to shape the new intake to fit the hole, wish mine looked as clean and well done as JackandJanet's, but we will see if there is anything noticeable on the highway tomorrow when I need to pass someone or get onto the highway.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:27 PM
I'd like to add some testing I've been doing the last few weeks specifically for the gotts mod. Can't make claims on power increase but there is evidence for it....
http://forum.gopowerhungry.com/conve...t-mileage.html

Old 11-15-2010, 09:55 PM
can someone please tell me why everyone does this. i honestly dont see how just adding a piece of pipe at the end of the filter. i understand it will let in a little bit more air, but everyone overlooks the rest of the intake system.

all those air mufflers, and and chambers and bendy tube/flex tubes dont help at all, since the smoother it is the better it would be.

why not make an entire intake ?? it will cost a little bit more, but you guys could still make it out of pvc (paint it black) and you can still add you little piece of pvc at the " end of the filter, so you can get you "cooler" air. all you would really have to make that would take a little more time (prob like an extra 10 min) is to make an adapter to go to the maf

would prob see more power for it than this gotts mod

Old 11-15-2010, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by pongorulz
can someone please tell me why everyone does this. i honestly dont see how just adding a piece of pipe at the end of the filter. i understand it will let in a little bit more air, but everyone overlooks the rest of the intake system.

all those air mufflers, and and chambers and bendy tube/flex tubes dont help at all, since the smoother it is the better it would be.

why not make an entire intake ?? it will cost a little bit more, but you guys could still make it out of pvc (paint it black) and you can still add you little piece of pvc at the " end of the filter, so you can get you "cooler" air. all you would really have to make that would take a little more time (prob like an extra 10 min) is to make an adapter to go to the maf

would prob see more power for it than this gotts mod
You COULD do that but those rubber boots and resonators dont really do anything performance wise. Look at my latest experiment for example.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/ex...ck-intake.html
I took a stock intake and made it look like a commercial intake. Compared to my gotts moded intake, there is no difference in performance aside from a 5-20 degree increase in intake temps. That is why the gotts mod is a preferred mod. It increases the tube diameter at its highest point of restriction while still maintaining a true cold air intake.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Gott's Mod 2006 F150 4.6 Liter

The set up on mine was different than everyone else's 5.4 pictures. I finally found some intakes that looked like mine in the Gott's mod for 97-03, The same 3" coupler (fernco) and 3" pipe. There were no bolts to take loose on mine, the filter box just popped out of rubber grommets. i got the pipe from my neighbor and there wasn't any writing on it, so I dont know if it was schedule 40 or DWV I cut the pipe to 4" but could have got by with 5", with the 4" piece you just dont push it in all the way into the fernco until its flush, there will be a gap between the intake and pvc which is fine because the fernco is so wide. I took a grinder and ground down 2" to fit in the fender hole. I also made sure to disconnect the negative battery cable to reset the PCM. It spit my CD out and lost all my stations so I figure that should do it. Something else I might add is that I always heard a whistle coming from the snorkel. There was a dried up leaf that had been in there forever but wouldn't pass through to the filter. Another reason to get rid of the small opening. There is about 1" of the white PVC showing between my fender and the coupling but my truck is white so it doesn't bother me

I cant remember what the great WIX filter was though that everyone spoke so highly about, maybe someone will comment. For now Its a Fram

Phillip

Last edited by 405; 01-04-2011 at 07:58 AM. Reason: Typo!
Old 01-04-2011, 02:11 PM
I think I spent around $40 for the Airaid Jr. Intake Tube... It pulls air from behind the d.s. headlight. I also added a K&N filter and single in/dual out exhaust turned down before the axle...

Old 01-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by che22879
I read somewhere that pvc getts brittle over time and could break up in the intake. I didnt think it would do that but just to be safe I went with the abs and shaped it down with a grinder so I didnt use the rubber parts.
Wouldn't your air filter catch any small particles breaking up?

Old 01-18-2011, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by credurdead
Wouldn't your air filter catch any small particles breaking up?
Yeah but your MAF could get damaged by the particles.

Old 01-18-2011, 10:30 PM
3-6-09 is born on date and some one just revived it it lives

Old 01-18-2011, 10:38 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Name:  SnorkelTwist.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  43.9 KB

giggity giggity giggity, and dang thats a tight grip you got

Quick Reply: Do It Yourself Intake Modification for 2004-2008