Reengineered a stock intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 04:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reengineered a stock intake

Decided to make a new intake that looked as cool as a commercial intake but would not put a dent in my wallet and would not require a tuning adjustment.

Started out looking for a stock intake off of any 04+ 4.6L F150. I found one for about $20 off of a 2006. Unfortunately I didn't realize they changed the design some time between 2006 and 2008 because when I got it this other intake looked quite a bit different. Ahead of the bend is exactly like mine.

I cut open the first large piece of the intake to expose the filter for two reasons. The first was to show off the aftermarket filter and second to keep leaves from collecting around the filter. Not sure how they get in there but I have to dump it out at least twice a year.

The results at this point

The next steps did not get pictures but I basically cut the resonator off of the intake, patched the hole for the resonator and put a few layers of glossy spray paint.

Here are the results

The only things I used besides the stock parts were a hack saw, screwdriver and 2 hose clamps because the rubber boots were originally glued to the plastic pipe. Total cost for me to do this $40. This included the $23 stock intake, $2 in hose clamps and the rest was gas to have a little fun testing it out. I dont feel any more power than I did with the gotts mod but it has more of a show look to it.

Last edited by Longshot270; 11-19-2010 at 01:12 AM.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks good!
But.....
??
WAI with a stock twist?

Old 11-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by 88racing
Looks good!
But.....
??
WAI with a stock twist?
More like a stock intake with a WAI twist.

Went ahead and painted the large plastic part.

Old 11-12-2010, 04:56 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Any drone?

Old 11-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Not a loud drone but you can hear a low whistle when it is pulling in air at slow speeds and between shifts. It is just loud enough I can mess with somebody riding like it is a supercharger but quiet enough I only have to roll up the window and turn on low music to cover it up.

I'll probably do some acceleration tests to see if it hurt performance. The pipe is a bit smaller than stock but the same size as the throttle body.

Update: No loss in power, still running 16.5s according to the programmer.

Last edited by Longshot270; 11-12-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 06:06 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I did the same thing, way back when, - well, sort of. You have to get rid of the slinky, - to much turbulence. Also, that air filter is junk. I've used one of those as well,- before.... - Just off it and use a full box w/dry element, a high flow element that has no ill effect on the pistons and rings.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
I did the same thing, way back when, - well, sort of. You have to get rid of the slinky, - to much turbulence. Also, that air filter is junk. I've used one of those as well,- before.... - Just off it and use a full box w/dry element, a high flow element that has no ill effect on the pistons and rings.
The turbulence obviously isn't hurting performance, just went out and tested it with a little 40 mile cruise and some 1/4 mile sprints. I've also had the filter on for over 20K. I got it because it would pay for itself, and it has. I have been going back to the original when it is super dusty and dry. I know there is more dust getting through the oiled just by seeing how much is stuck to the inside of the intake. The red filter just makes the truck around a half to a quarter second quicker.

Remember, this was intended more for looks. I go hang out with friends at car shows and wanted to make something like theirs to show off for a fraction of the price. I've got the original setup completely intact and can have it switched out in 3 minutes. I'll be putting the box back on anyways because of the higher temps. The lowest I've seen today was 86 degrees with an ambient of 77. The gotts mod is usually only 5 degrees above ambient when I'm moving. It certainly is a warm air intake. Why people buy the expensive ones when you can build the same thing is beyond me.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Longshot270
Why people buy the expensive ones when you can build the same thing is beyond me.
Yea, there isn't much of a temp difference. Allot of that depends on the headers, - IF you run them.

I think people purchase the CAI's because it's hard to find the right intake tube, -sold by itself.

Like I said, I made a few of my own in the past lol -

Old 11-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
looks kind of funny. never seen anyone take it apart like that!

Old 11-12-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally Posted by str8t six
looks kind of funny. never seen anyone take it apart like that!
It was actually really cool seeing how they had everything put together. This intake was made much smarter than my '08 stock intake. This one had the entrance for the resonator on the inside of the turn where there would be the most flow for maximum resonance (but that may also have been its downfall. Having more counter resonance than the intake actually caused). The resonator then went around both sides the intake to a small second chamber. It was a cool compact design, not like the '08 intake. That one has the resonator as a bulky separate piece feeding on the outside of the turn and directly branching out from there. I also didn't know that the intake pipe for this '06 intake is completely separate from the resonator around it. If I ever do it again I'll cut it open like a clam (kinda funny because it closely resembles a clam in the basic structure) and just pull the pipe out.

I think people purchase the CAI's because it's hard to find the right intake tube, -sold by itself.
Aint that the truth! You can find the tube kinda like I did but they cost just as much as a whole kit now. The only reasons I did this was to see if there were any gains, and there weren't, and for a CAI style look (not sure why they call it that now that I have used the concept and found it is a very ironic name). Other than that it was just to give me something interesting to do for today.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:29 PM

Aint that the truth! You can find the tube kinda like I did but they cost just as much as a whole kit now. The only reasons I did this was to see if there were any gains, and there weren't, and for a CAI style look (not sure why they call it that now that I have used the concept and found it is a very ironic name). Other than that it was just to give me something interesting to do for today.
- Yea, it was interesting at first, when I messed with it. No gains anywhere, - not that I noticed anyway. So, once I was bored with screwing around with it, - I ended up with this -

Which has been by far the most maintenance free system, - and that damn MAF stays clean lol.

There's also an Amsoil filter inside, - dry element which I can't say enough good things about. It's just the best, IMO anyway.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:35 PM
- Yea, it was interesting at first, when I messed with it. No gains anywhere, - not that I noticed anyway. So, once I was bored with screwing around with it, - I ended up with this -
Which has been by far the most maintenance free system, - and that damn MAF stays clean lol.

There's also an Amsoil filter inside, - dry element which I can't say enough good things about. It's just the best, IMO anyway.
I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking at. What is circled and what are those blue and green things?

Old 11-12-2010, 08:56 PM

Well, your suppose to be looking at the intake, not that other stuff.

That other stuff was for something else, - actually two different things I think, - for someone else.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Your the one that had stuff circled

Old 11-12-2010, 09:54 PM

Your the one that had stuff circled
Yea , I know - probably was showing someone - "the tubes are here" because they most likely asked the same question

Want me to circle the intake for yuh ? Say no, that's okay.

Quick Reply: Reengineered a stock intake