Brypink...Question About Zapco Amp

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dconder
Ok guys, a quick "if you were me". I am running the ED subs now. Got them brand new for around $150 shipped. They are good for what they are but, not top notch subs. I just got quoted $480 on a pair of BM subs. I will be running the same power to the BM's as the ED. Around 1,050 watts to both. Are the BM's going to be worth the money? We are talking 3 times the cost of the ED. Am I going to get 3 times the performance? On the same note, I can get a pair of IDQ 10" for $320 a pair brand new or even the 12" IDQ for around $400(not sure if I want to try and make them fit though). Let me know what you think.
Honestly Doug...I would just go with what you like from experience...the IDQs. We both know they are great subs in their class. I have not had the privilege of hearing the BM...so I can't comment on them other than the fact they are from SI. The BM10 did get a bad review on here (maybe because of his box...I don't know), but CA.com members have nothing but good to say about them.

Maybe wait it out and see if you can find some used ones (BM10) and see if you like them or not...if you don't, I'm sure you can get your money back out of them.

The other option is a DIYMA 12", they are in that price range and IIRC, they have a mounting depth of 5.5" too but don't quote me on that.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Originally Posted by brypink2
Honestly Doug...I would just go with what you like from experience...the IDQs. We both know they are great subs in their class. I have not had the privilege of hearing the BM...so I can't comment on them other than the fact they are from SI. The BM10 did get a bad review on here (maybe because of his box...I don't know), but CA.com members have nothing but good to say about them.

Maybe wait it out and see if you can find some used ones (BM10) and see if you like them or not...if you don't, I'm sure you can get your money back out of them.

The other option is a DIYMA 12", they are in that price range and IIRC, they have a mounting depth of 5.5" too but don't quote me on that.
I appreciate that.

I looked at the DIYMA but, I think it had a 6" mounting depth. Same as the Arc 12". The IDQ 12" has 5.75". I am almost positive I could get them to fit but, it means buildling yet another box, which I am starting to dislike with a passion

Old 12-13-2006, 06:09 PM
Getting the IDQ12's to fit without a seat lift would be really tough. It could probably be done but your not gonna get that much airspace. If you went with the IDQ10's you would have to cut your power down going to them. I was running 300 to mine and you had to watch out with the punchy bass but that may have been that the qlogic box it was in was thin plastic and flexed easily.

Old 12-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, you guys have a lot of home theater stuff. Im not home enough to get into it really. When I am home Im usually glued to the computer Maybe I should set up a nice system in the computer room here so I can listen to tunes.

Dcon, thats to bad that wont fit. Maybe its time to stop making stuff fit nice and start getting Xtrem. Anyone???

Old 12-13-2006, 07:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bartak1
Wow, you guys have a lot of home theater stuff. Im not home enough to get into it really. When I am home Im usually glued to the computer Maybe I should set up a nice system in the computer room here so I can listen to tunes.

Dcon, thats to bad that wont fit.
Maybe its time to stop making stuff fit nice and start getting Xtrem. Anyone???
I hear STOMPTHECHEVY has a sawzall for sale...

Old 12-13-2006, 08:02 PM
To quote Larry the cable guy " That's funny right there, I don't care who you are".

Smitty...I was kinda worried about 525 watts to the IDQ. Although I am running it to the ED sub with no problems. I could always get dual 2 ohm subs and run one to each channel sending around 275 to each. I still am undecided. Although, I think the BM is out. That is just a lot of money difference. Right now, I am leaning toward sticking with the ED or the IDQ.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:19 PM
Recomended rms power to the IDQ12 is up to 500 and the IDQ10 is up to 300. Max for the 12 is 750
I will be running 300+ each to my 12"s so I will let you know how they do.The only thing is that they are not an off the shelf IDQ but I will still beable to get you some info.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To quote Larry the cable guy " That's funny right there, I don't care who you are".

Smitty...
I was kinda worried about 525 watts to the IDQ. Although I am running it to the ED sub with no problems
. I could always get dual 2 ohm subs and run one to each channel sending around 275 to each. I still am undecided. Although, I think the BM is out. That is just a lot of money difference. Right now, I am leaning toward sticking with the ED or the IDQ.
Good to know ED will handle that much power, I'm running 300W rms to my single 11Kv2 D2 wired at 4 ohm, but my Eclipse XA5000 will do 450W rms at 2 ohm... was thinking about switching out the sub from a D2 to a D4 and wire to 2 ohm to pick up another 150W rms... just was'nt sure on a 11Kv2 taking 450W rms....

how much differance do you think another 150W would make in the Sub Stage of my system???

Old 12-13-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by F150Truck'in
Good to know ED will handle that much power, I'm running 300W rms to my single 11Kv2 D2 wired at 4 ohm, but my Eclipse XA5000 will do 450W rms at 2 ohm... was thinking about switching out the sub from a D2 to a D4 and wire to 2 ohm to pick up another 150W rms... just was'nt sure on a 11Kv2 taking 450W rms....

how much differance do you think another 150W would make in the Sub Stage of my system???
Roughly 1.5 db

Old 12-13-2006, 10:27 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
^^Something like that.

Unless you can swap for a dual 4 pretty cheap I would probably pass on it...JMO though.

Now this thread almost has me wanting new subs...almost. No idea what I would get though. A pair of 12's, something that would work off 600 watts each. Whats better than the Mag though? Would have to sound as good as the Mag and get mucho louder.
I spose if I got something else I would end up kicking myself for not getting another amp and tossing the other Mag in...Probably nothing out there that will get that loud and sound that good doin it.

I need to put my mind on a leash...

Old 12-13-2006, 10:54 PM
Originally Posted by Bartak1
^^Something like that.

Unless you can swap for a dual 4 pretty cheap I would probably pass on it...JMO though.

Now this thread almost has me wanting new subs...almost. No idea what I would get though. A pair of 12's, something that would work off 600 watts each. Whats better than the Mag though? Would have to sound as good as the Mag and get mucho louder.
I spose if I got something else I would end up kicking myself for not getting another amp and tossing the other Mag in...Probably nothing out there that will get that loud and sound that good doin it.

I need to put my mind on a leash...
No you dont. Just need to win the lottery.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:26 AM
49 pages, 733 replies, and 19,498 views. Are we good or what

My set of ID mids are suppose to be here today and last night, I bought a full set of used Chameleons. They look kinda beat up but, I paid $100 for the entire set. I have $235 in 2 sets of mids, one set of tweets and 2 sets of crossovers. Now, hopefully, they will all work, lol.

Old 12-14-2006, 12:48 PM
49 pages, 733 replies, and 19,498 views. Are we good or what

My set of ID mids are suppose to be here today and last night, I bought a full set of used Chameleons. They look kinda beat up but, I paid $100 for the entire set. I have $235 in 2 sets of mids, one set of tweets and 2 sets of crossovers. Now, hopefully, they will all work, lol.
Yes it is a rather large thread

Thats a good deal on those comps. Hope they all work too.

Old 12-14-2006, 02:21 PM
Oh Bryan my friend. I need some tips. It looks like to mount your mid, you took the door panel off, mounted the mid to the door frame, and then made the door panel fit around the mid. Does that sound right? These ID mids are huge. What is the mounting depth of your mids? These are in the 2.75" range. My poor 5 1/4 Contours look tiny up next to these.

Old 12-14-2006, 03:46 PM
Oh Bryan my friend. I need some tips. It looks like to mount your mid, you took the door panel off, mounted the mid to the door frame, and then made the door panel fit around the mid. Does that sound right? These ID mids are huge. What is the mounting depth of your mids? These are in the 2.75" range. My poor 5 1/4 Contours look tiny up next to these.
Yes, that's correct. The mounting depth on my PLs is almost 4". I made a 1.25" MDF adapter (mounted to the door skin) and had to trim the speaker bucket (as I call it) on the door panel completely flush. Does that make sense?

Quick Reply: Brypink...Question About Zapco Amp