2009 - 2014 F-150

2010 A/C Performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by papajohn
denied........ switchover to 134a became mandatory for all new vehicles '93 or '94. cant remember the exact year but it is one of those 2.
Right on. 1993, methinks.

MGD

Old 08-14-2010, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by papajohn
denied........ switchover to 134a became mandatory for all new vehicles '93 or '94. cant remember the exact year but it is one of those 2.
Not too bad then, I was only off by 10 years.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:23 PM
I have an 10screw lariat. I live in the Knoxville area and it is blazing hot. I traded in my 2005 Silverado for this truck. The tranny hopefully will improve with reprogram, but the AC has me concerned. The cooled seats seem to work sometimes and not so much others. Do you think this could be linked? It seems as though there are quite a few people experiencing the AC problem, and it should warrant looking into...is there truly a way to improve this?

Thanks everyone for their input.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Regarding the TSB posted, my truck was built in February 2010 and still has the A?C problem.

This is NOT a general Ford problem, as some of you may think. My other Fords are fine, including my 2011 Mustang GT. It has black leather and cools very quickly.

I love everything about this truck, except the A/C. It is down right miserable right now with 20 100+ degree days in a row. I guess I'll just have to drive the Mustang more!

Old 08-15-2010, 07:57 AM
god it sucks when you date yourself like that lol. gotta say though that selling r12 became a gold mine at that point. the prices we were able to get for the stuff was outrageous and people just did not want to convert to 134a at that time.

Old 08-15-2010, 11:13 AM
Wow this threads still going strong. My AC still runs fine but after I see people complain about coming from another truck to the ford and the other truck was better I paid more attention when in my friends trucks. One is a 09 chevy avalanche and the other is a 09 chevy silverado and they are no better at cooling than my f150 if anything mine cools faster because of it being white compared to dark green and orange. I will test the vents with my meter when I'm with them next but I know already they are no better.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:18 PM
I wonder if the same system is in the expedition. How do they keep that cool?

Old 08-15-2010, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by ksmustng
I wonder if the same system is in the expedition. How do they keep that cool?
Bro in law has a black 2009 expy that I'm always in. Works as well as my f150 but that does have the rear cooling controls but don't seem to get any coolder quicker than mine.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:03 PM
I will look at the TSB and see if there is signs of leakage.

It was 96F here and my truck was parked in the shade. I fired it up with the A/C on Max, Recirc and Max Fan and drove 30 miles at 70-75 mph. It took 10 minutes for the vent temp (Center Vent) to hit 64 DegF. At 30 minutes my vent temp was 46 Deg.F and Interior Temp was 77 Deg. If I turned the fan down 1 notch, temperature just started climbing.

Driving home, it was 92 and dark. Still best Vent Temp was 45 Deg.F, on High Fan, Max, and recirc.

Next, I will be looking for a way to modify the Fan Speeds. They missed the mark there as well. 5 is blowing like crazy and 4 is too low. Need something in between. I've never been able to run this truck on 3 or unless a long night trip with 75 degree outside temps.

BTW, it's a 2010 Red SCREW with 5.4 and 3.73 with Max Tow.
Light Tan Leather Interior. Drivers windows tinted to the same as the Rear Doors.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:08 PM
Here is a real world test on 2 Fords and 1 Chevy.
2010 F-150 Screw
2008 1500 Silverado SuperCab
2009 F250 Super Duty Super Cab

All trucks have been down overnight, sitting side by side. 96.3 F Ambient Temp.

This test eliminates all factors such as cab size, truck color, interior color/type and insulation.

Fan On Max on all vehicles. Max Cooling Off, Recirculate Off. and Doors wide Open.

This means we measure the vent temperature after the air has been cooled in a single Pass (Delta T).

Running 10 minutes until Vent temperature no longer drops.
Chevy stabilized @ 64.6 Deg.F 32 Degree Split.
F150 stabilized at 70.8 or a 26 Degree Split.
F250 stabilized at 74.3 or a 22 degree Split.

Normally in the A/C world, anything > 20 Degree Split is considered acceptable when in real life, most vehicles acheive > 30 Degree Split.

As you can see, the Chevy acheive a much better split and WILL frreze you out on a 100 Deg. Day. Fan usually on 1 or 2.

The Fords barely cool the Cab to an acceptable level (mid to high 70's) on a 100 Deg. Day with the Fan on Max (4).

Plain and simple, Ford cut corners on their A/C and the system while sized to "acceptable" standards is below par.

Oh, Closing off the heater hoses with needle nose vis grips on all three trucks made no difference in vent temp, proving the diverter doors are working properly.

Richard

Old 08-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Originally Posted by TakerEasy
Here is a real world test on 2 Fords and 1 Chevy.
2010 F-150 Screw
2008 1500 Silverado SuperCab
2009 F250 Super Duty Super Cab

All trucks have been down overnight, sitting side by side. 96.3 F Ambient Temp.

This test eliminates all factors such as cab size, truck color, interior color/type and insulation.

Fan On Max on all vehicles. Max Cooling Off, Recirculate Off. and Doors wide Open.

This means we measure the vent temperature after the air has been cooled in a single Pass (Delta T).

Running 10 minutes until Vent temperature no longer drops.
Chevy stabilized @ 64.6 Deg.F 32 Degree Split.
F150 stabilized at 70.8 or a 26 Degree Split.
F250 stabilized at 74.3 or a 22 degree Split.

Normally in the A/C world, anything > 20 Degree Split is considered acceptable when in real life, most vehicles acheive > 30 Degree Split.

As you can see, the Chevy acheive a much better split and WILL frreze you out on a 100 Deg. Day. Fan usually on 1 or 2.

The Fords barely cool the Cab to an acceptable level (mid to high 70's) on a 100 Deg. Day with the Fan on Max (4).

Plain and simple, Ford cut corners on their A/C and the system while sized to "acceptable" standards is below par.

Oh, Closing off the heater hoses with needle nose vis grips on all three trucks made no difference in vent temp, proving the diverter doors are working properly.

Richard
Did you close the rear vents on all vehicles? It makes a pretty large difference to air temp coming from front vents if it ain't got to split the cool air too 2 sets of vents.

Also remember that vent temps are not really a good indication of performance. You also need to know the CFM and PSI ratings of said vents. Just like the way a house a system is balanced a car system works the same way. You could have very low CFM but very cold vent temps but it won't cool the house. You could also have high PSI but low CFM and also have bad cooling. When testing a vehicle like that you need to test the temp in the drivers seat in all the trucks on same day in a covered location and as close as possible to internal size as possible. Not an easy task and far to many variables but much better than testing just vent temps. Testing vent temps would be like putting your thermostat next to your vent. It's an inaccurate area to test nominal temps.

Last edited by Barritia; 08-19-2010 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Originally Posted by Barritia
Did you close the rear vents on all vehicles? It makes a pretty large difference to air temp coming from front vents if it ain't got to split the cool air too 2 sets of vents.
No, none of these had rear vents. Agreed, CFM is required hoever Pressure is not, (Only flow or Pressure) and since this is not a house, with a maze of different size ducts, it is unimportant.

Also remember that vent temps are not really a good indication of performance. You also need to know the CFM and PSI ratings of said vents. Just like the way a house a system is balanced a car system works the same way. You could have very low CFM but very cold vent temps but it won't cool the house. You could also have high PSI but low CFM and also have bad cooling. When testing a vehicle like that you need to test the temp in the drivers seat in all the trucks on same day in a covered location and as close as possible to internal size as possible. Not an easy task and far to many variables but much better than testing just vent temps. Testing vent temps would be like putting your thermostat next to your vent. It's an inaccurate area to test nominal temps.

Now, I did not break out an Anem0meter to check CFM since both vehicles were at Their Max Fan. Yes, for a perfect test it would be required as well as some way to set them both to the same CFM or you could simply calculate it knowing the pressures and DeltaT's, but I do not think it's required. If the chevy blew considerably less air out the vents then it would make a difference. Do you want me to drop the Ford F150 down 1 notch on the fan to see if the temp really gets that much cooler?

Old 08-19-2010, 01:50 PM
No, a real test would be to precisly measure the evaporators inlet and outlet temps on the refrigerent lines (Not Air Temp).

It is very clear, by performing the test I did, and by daily driving both vehicles, the Chevy out cools the Ford by far. Now, why?

Is this F-150 like everyone else's or is there a problem. With a greater than 20 Delta T, Ford's not going to touch it.

Richard

Old 08-19-2010, 02:00 PM
The f150 screw had no rear vents? How do the people in the rear cool down?

Old 08-19-2010, 02:43 PM
The f150 screw had no rear vents? How do the people in the rear cool down?
Everyone I test drove had rear vents. I never imagined my wouldn't so I did not look. I think it has to do with the console configuration.

I'm just wondering how the people up front stay cool.

Quick Reply: 2010 A/C Performance