2009 - 2014 F-150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

2010 A/C Performance

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tbird69
The difference sits behind the wheel. Everybody has a different take on what they consider good A/C performance.
Well, I started this thread, and I consider that the A/C ought to be putting out cool air in less time than it takes to drive the ten to fifteen miles it takes mine. Even by opening all five windows and running the air on the normal setting until it feels cool then closing the windows and switching to Max A/C, it takes forever to cool off when the ambient temp is over 100°. As I described my Super Duty crew cab; even after being parked all day on a blacktop lot with the overhead reading 130°, it blew cold air before I was a mile down the road. In fact, it still does and it is almost eight years old. I guess I'm going to have to take this 2010 to another dealer and see if they want to look into things a little more than my selling dealer did.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:02 PM
well i must be one of the lucky ones the a/c in my truck works great no complaints here

Old 08-13-2010, 04:35 PM
My 09 is ok -- it gets better when driving. I live in Southern California where the average summer temp is 100.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by GoingGoingGone
Well, I started this thread, and I consider that the A/C ought to be putting out cool air in less time than it takes to drive the ten to fifteen miles it takes mine. Even by opening all five windows and running the air on the normal setting until it feels cool then closing the windows and switching to Max A/C, it takes forever to cool off when the ambient temp is over 100°. As I described my Super Duty crew cab; even after being parked all day on a blacktop lot with the overhead reading 130°, it blew cold air before I was a mile down the road. In fact, it still does and it is almost eight years old. I guess I'm going to have to take this 2010 to another dealer and see if they want to look into things a little more than my selling dealer did.
Good luck with that.

Here's what's gonna happen:

1. Check A/C refrigerant level - it will be in spec.
2. " They all do that" - (largely true)

Look under the hood on the SD - you will find a heater core check valve. Imagine that

MGD

Old 08-13-2010, 06:13 PM
Well I will chime in here as I had this post 2 months ago for the same thing. I have had a thermometer in the vent since this truck was new, because I have never thought the a/c was any good.
To give you some history, I stepped out of an 2007 Silverado into a 10 F-150 Spr Cru and there is not one bit of comparision to a/c performance. The bow tie is far superior than this thing. I could sit at idle on normal in the Chevy, and would keep me very comfortable on the hottest days. I can't even use the F-150 on normal a/c driving down the road on a hot day as it won't get cold enough to do anything.

I drive this thing about 35 to 40,000mile/year, so I am in it a lot.

Here is what I have found so far.
on normal a/c at idle 96 degrees, the vent temp is about 60 to 65 F.
on Max A/C it is about 45 to 50 degrees.
At Higway speeds, on normal it is around 50 F, on Max, it is 40 to 42 F.

However, the issue is that the interior is not staying cool. I took the thermometer out of the vent and put it in the cup holder, and it climbs to 80 F
Thats not cool.
I have found out that there is only 1.5lbs of freon in this new system when it was about 5 lbs just 3 years ago. They did this for cost and enviornment reasons I guess. However, it doesn't work.

The other thing is that even though on Max A/C the vent temp is 40 F, The air is not cold soaked enough to penetrate and overtake the hotter air in the cab and you loose cool. This seems to me, to be a function of a system that was way to closely engineered to be only adequete and nothing else. There is no extra in this system. I should not have to drive down the road on max a/c all the time and the fan on 4. That should be for getting it cooled off and then turning it down.
I believe the system is way to small for this truck and they did it on purpose. The evaporator is not big enough to soak the cold into the air quickly enough. So it feels cold, but doesn't stay cold. The other end of this equation is the condensor. It is not large enough to get the heat out of the system quickly enough.
It is a poorly designed system, and we should not stand for this.

I never ran my Silverado on max a/c ever. And I could not keep the fan on high for very long. So, my point is, if Chevrolet can make A/C that works, why can't Ford?
It's ridicolus to spend this kind of money and have to put up with a marginal at best system.
I agree that taking it to a dealer is going to be futile. I took mine in 3 days after getting it, and they slapped in on Max A/C and said its blowing 40 down the road, you are good. However, I am not good. It may be blowing 40 down in the vent, but its not cooling it down suffciently. Very Frustrating.
I like the heater core valve idea. My 1972 Chevy Custom Deluxe has a dang heater core control valve on it factory. Seems like they still use these, but I guess not.
If there are any Ford Technicians on this sight, I would really like to hear what they have to say about this poor excuse for A/C.

Seems like the guys with the Climate Control systems are not having this issue as much as us XLT guys. Wonder if there is anything to that?
I bought this truck to give Ford one more try. This is going to be it, if they don't fix it.
Sorry for the rant, just frustrated.

Old 08-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Yep, most likely the last one for me to. I've tried three Ford Trucks, the rest were all Chevy. I personally did not like the way the 2010 Chevy looked but the GMC was okay (I should have got it)

I loved the way the Ford looked and the like the interior size, but my Chevy gets 20 to 21 driving 75 to 80 from San Antonio to Sonora everytime. My Ford, although advertised for that only get 15 to 16 at the same speed on the same trip.

1980 F150 Lariat - Junk Rusted to death and was always in the shop.

1998 F150 Lariat - Ran good but was uncomfortable. Way too cramped, felt like the door window was in my face. Kept it 3 months and traded back for a Silverado.

2010 F-150, Love most of it. I don't like some of the stupid things like mashing the gas and waiting 2 or 3 seconds before anything happens, then when it does, it drops to too low of a gear and doesn't move until it shifts up one. A/C is very poor, and the MPG is flat out Lie. I've had the truck take off on me twice when my foot was not near the accellerator. I was doing 35 and floored it to pass someone and it went to low gear and hit the rev limiter and scared the hell out of me. It never shifted up until I let off the gas a few seconds.

Just so you know this isn't a FORD Rant, I have several others as well and they have been decent.

Now, I have two Rangers (99 & 01), and just sold a 2000 Crown Victoria with 248,000 miles on it. The Rangers and the Crown Vic always treated me great.

I've been a mechanic for 35 years and I know the heater valve test. I just need to go try it. Maybe the mix doors aren't sealing good on some. Problem is, if that were the case, the AC would only be affected mainly after the engine water got nice and warm, it should be pretty cool on cold start up.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by TakerEasy
Yep, most likely the last one for me to. I've tried three Ford Trucks, the rest were all Chevy. I personally did not like the way the 2010 Chevy looked but the GMC was okay (I should have got it)

I loved the way the Ford looked and the like the interior size, but my Chevy gets 20 to 21 driving 75 to 80 from San Antonio to Sonora everytime. My Ford, although advertised for that only get 15 to 16 at the same speed on the same trip.

1980 F150 Lariat - Junk Rusted to death and was always in the shop.

1998 F150 Lariat - Ran good but was uncomfortable. Way too cramped, felt like the door window was in my face. Kept it 3 months and traded back for a Silverado.

2010 F-150, Love most of it. I don't like some of the stupid things like mashing the gas and waiting 2 or 3 seconds before anything happens, then when it does, it drops to too low of a gear and doesn't move until it shifts up one. A/C is very poor, and the MPG is flat out Lie. I've had the truck take off on me twice when my foot was not near the accellerator. I was doing 35 and floored it to pass someone and it went to low gear and hit the rev limiter and scared the hell out of me. It never shifted up until I let off the gas a few seconds.

Just so you know this isn't a FORD Rant, I have several others as well and they have been decent.

Now, I have two Rangers (99 & 01), and just sold a 2000 Crown Victoria with 248,000 miles on it. The Rangers and the Crown Vic always treated me great.

I've been a mechanic for 35 years and I know the heater valve test. I just need to go try it. Maybe the mix doors aren't sealing good on some. Problem is, if that were the case, the AC would only be affected mainly after the engine water got nice and warm, it should be pretty cool on cold start up.
Shoot, mine gets 20 mpg going 75 regularly. Going 80+ will drop it down to 18. This is an FX4 with 3.73 gears and 20" wheels.

Old 08-14-2010, 08:48 AM
I just picked up my 2010 XLT the other day. I am totally shocked by all the complaints here about AC and transmission. So far my tranny is fine. It seems to be shifting properly. I know for a fact(read it in multiple message boards) there is a TSB to flash the computer for the shifting issue. Talk to your dealership.

Also the AC in my new XLT is just fine on max AC it was like an icebox. On regular AC it was plenty cool.

It was 92 degrees ambient outside with very high humidity. Its like a sauna.

I am also happy to see anywhere from 18-21 on the MPG AVG. If you drive agreesively expect 14-17. If you drive a truck like a truck is supposed to be driven 18-20 is very possible(assuming you live in flat area)

Old 08-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by GoingGoingGone
Eight year old SD still blows pretty cold huh? I'm trying to remember when the switch from R12 to R134a started. I believe it was about 8-9 years ago, meaning there's probably a good chance your SD has R12. The manufacturers would have used up their stock of R12 before making the switch. That's about the best reason I can think of for the SD performing so well.

Can somebody confirm or deny me here?

Old 08-14-2010, 04:19 PM
just to chime in on the lack some of you fill

if you have a front plate and holder try taking it off

i took mine off and now it cools much quicker and colder

Old 08-14-2010, 05:24 PM
the a/c in the older trucks 03 f150s and back do work better, had a 04, 06 and now 2010 f150 and the a/c lacks compared to my 03 150. i know they dropped the charge amount down on the 04-10. we have some complaints on these trucks all we can do is check charge amount and check temp blowing out if in specs thats all we can do. i think some of you guys are right to much inside space and not enough ac size. there are tsbs out il try and post

Last edited by jhunt47; 08-14-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: wording
Old 08-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Printable View (47 KB)
TSB
10-13-5 A/C PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE DISCHARGE - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 12/15/2009

Publication Date: July 7, 2010

FORD: 2010 Expedition, F-150
LINCOLN: 2010 Navigator

ISSUE:
Some 2010 F-150, Expedition and Navigator vehicles equipped with 5.4L engine and built on or before 12/15/2009 may exhibit A/C pressure relief valve discharging. This may be caused by the engine cooling fan motor strategy at idle, resulting in insufficient airflow across the condenser.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Inspect the A/C compressor pressure relief valve for signs of discharging. If there are signs of discharging, then evacuate and recharge the system to establish proper fill, refer to the Workshop Manual, Section 412-01.
Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 67.06 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2010.5 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
101305A 2010 F-150, Expedition, Navigator 5.4L: Reprogram The PCM And Inspect A/C Compressor Pressure Relief Valve (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.4 Hr.
101305B 2010 F-150, Expedition, Navigator 5.4L: Reprogram The PCM, Inspect A/C Compressor Pressure Relief Valve And Recover, Evacuate And Recharge System (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.6 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
RECAL 04

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2010 Ford Motor Company

Old 08-14-2010, 06:41 PM
A/c

I have a 2010 Ingot Silver Lariat Scab with a black leather interior. My A/C works perfectly, I set it on A/C, Auto, and Recirculated air. I only set the temp at 70, sometimes 68 when it’s real hot outside in S.C. At that setting with the cooled seats I’m extremely comfortable. My wife has her “hot flashes” sometimes and I go dual mode and set her side on 64-66, she even turns it back up to 70 herself. I have noticed on lower settings, it just seems to make the blower stay on high all the time. More noise from the blower and not much more cooling. She can take the cooled seats on high all of the time, where I can not. Once the seat cools down, I have to place the switch on the low setting, otherwise, it’s just too much for me.

Bob G

Old 08-14-2010, 06:45 PM
X-2 bob

Old 08-14-2010, 06:48 PM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
I'm trying to remember when the switch from R12 to R134a started. Can somebody confirm or deny me here?
denied........ switchover to 134a became mandatory for all new vehicles '93 or '94. cant remember the exact year but it is one of those 2.

Quick Reply: 2010 A/C Performance