2004 - 2008 F-150

Need input Hard folding tonneau covers

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need input Hard folding tonneau covers

My extang tonneau cover is starting to crack after 7 years so I was thinking with replacing it with a hard folding one. Would like some opinions from those that have them. I would also like to know how they lock down. Wife wants me to get a shell but I really dont know how long I'll be keeping the truck and $1200 is a bit much.
Thanks

Old 05-05-2012, 12:27 AM
I had a Snuglid on my 05. They'll never see another dime from me. Spider web cracking in paint, chipped edges and horrible customer support. It weighed a lot, two guys could get it off but it was a pain. It was about $1200 shipped.

I put an Undercover on my 12 and love it. Easy to remove, doesn't need waxed, never squeaks over bumps. About $500 cheaper than fiberglass.

The only thing I liked about the Snuglid better was the remote power lock. The Undercover doesn't have this option. Programmed it on a three button Homelink. It would only take 3-4-5 times to unlock to get it to pop up. I adjusted that thing more than I care to remember. The day my wife went into the hospital to be induced one of the pop rods popped loose. She's in labor, I'm out in the lot trying to break into my own truck to get her stuff. Go Leer if you want painted, even Undercovers can be color matched now.

Old 05-05-2012, 12:33 AM
I actually broke down and ordered an ARE topper. After looking at lids and tri-fold tonneau's the prices went up to over $1000. For 150 more I got a damn good deal on the topper. I figured since I make at least 1 trip a year to Alaska, I have a dog, and I'm currently working in the oilfields of North Dakota I could use the room.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:41 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
watch the rubbing of the lid on the body just below the plastic on the top of the bed sides. Had one on my 05 and it rubbed it down to the metal. Everyone does it. I got an extang hard tri fold.for this truck . A lot less weight. Can take it off myself even when it is windy. Easier to store. Would get it again.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:43 AM
Bak flip is the only way I'd go.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:48 AM
I have the bak flip and I love it. It doesn't lock by itself but if you lock your tailgate you can't open it because the pull cord is inside so its pretty much secure. It sits flush with the top of the bed so it looks nice. You can completely remove it in less than a minute if you need to and it keeps the whole bed dry when its raining. It doesn't leak or squeak/ rattle at all. I have had mine for about 2 years.

Old 05-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Bak-Flip for sure!
I'm on my 2nd one. I put my first on on my 97 F-150 SCAB, and now I have one on my 2007 SCREW. They're very convenient, easy to access and when hauling a load of dirt or one of the 4 wheelers, it folds up against the rear of the cab to protect the rear window. My wife and I even use it as a seat while watching the fireworks each year at the park. I had mines installed for just over $700.
With it on my truck I can keep my fishing gear in the bed most of the Spring and Summer and I feel relatively safe with it there. You have to open the tailgate to pull on the release cords.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:00 AM
For those with a Bak-Flip... which one do you have and how hot does it get under there during the summer? Thanks for the info!

Old 05-30-2012, 02:02 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just ordered a Peragon and plan to do a quick 'review' of it as well. Stay tuned -- it's sitting in the garage at home awaiting install this coming weekend.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:13 PM
I went from an Extang Express soft roll-up to an Extang Encore low-profile hard tri-fold. This cover is great. My favorite feature is the fact that you can open it by the cab as well as the rear panel by the tailgate. Makes accessing things much easier.

It's easy to take off as well, just folds up, buckle it, and lift it off. Very nice cover. Not cheap, they retail for around $900, but I say it's worth it.

Old 06-02-2012, 01:03 AM
I have the bakflip g2. It gets hot about as much as the interior of your car does. The panels are Insulated with styrofoam so it isn't too bad under it. Now touching the actual cover is another story. That part gets a bit hotter that the plastic side rails that are stock on the truck.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by mkinttrim
I actually broke down and ordered an ARE topper. After looking at lids and tri-fold tonneau's the prices went up to over $1000. For 150 more I got a damn good deal on the topper. I figured since I make at least 1 trip a year to Alaska, I have a dog, and I'm currently working in the oilfields of North Dakota I could use the room.
PICS! .... at least one pic.

Cap or topper .... a slick floor and a piece of plywood with a raised edge (or carpet under the plywood , fuzzy side down) can sure ease strain on the back from trying to reach in all the time by sliding the floor out to you. When I was building my house I had a home made slider with "sections" and had a rear section for frequent tools.
A buddy made himself one where he slides it out near half way and two legs that are cross braced together drop and lock so he can pull it allmost all the way out.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:21 PM
I have a fold-a-cover on my f150....its great....locks down in the front and back! Also very easy to fold up and lock down! love it

Quick Reply: Need input Hard folding tonneau covers