Brake control module install help

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 06:59 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Brake control module install help

So I've had a time trying to get the factory controller installed on my truck. I ordered the part back in October or November and had my local dealer install it. It would not install properly so they tried again another day. Still not activated. They then ordered me a new one with the same issue.

After 2 more orders it gets to the point where it recognizes the gain but still no brakes are activating on trailers. It is now getting the 2 warnings popping up at every key cycle saying "wiring fault" and "brake control fault". They tried to reinstall my factory module to take it back to factory settings and I'm still getting the errors. It's been at the dealership 4 or 5 times in the last 6 to 7 months trying to work this issue out.
Has anyone else had this kind of issue with theirs? The VIN number matches the part number needed. So I know thats right. I really need help on this. The dealer is willing to refund me from my purchase but I still need to get one installed or at least get the errors to stop coming up.

Any advice?

Old 05-10-2024, 01:19 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
Forget the built-in one from Ford and get a Tekonsha Primus or Prodigy controller. I had a Prodigy on my old F150 and it worked beautifully. I suspect the factory controller you are trying to install needs some reprogramming in the truck's BCM and the dealership is not up to that task. If you are proficient with Forscan, you might be able to get it to work, but the Tekonshas need no such help.

- Jack

Old 05-10-2024, 09:50 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I looked into that brand but they are not showing any that work with my truck for some reason.

I do know for sure the techs have run through the programming but could possibly be missing something. They said after testing everything that they can see power going to where it needs to except the brakes. I watched one tech go through the programming process and check the boxes needed. He even had the directions pulled up from Ford on how to do it to make sure he wasnt missing something.

One mechanic told me they had to replace a computer module in a truck once and it took 9 or 10 to find the right one that decided it wanted to work. We are in a world of hurt right now with many different part issues and I don't see it getting any better. Couple this with 3 or 4 bad experiences from the dealer I purchased it from and it's made it a bad experience all around. And I love Ford's, but dang this is horrible to deal with 4 issues for over 7 or 8 months total.

Quick Reply: Brake control module install help