2004 - 2008 F-150

Caution - Pillar handle may break

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 10:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

As I stated before,replace the screws with ones an 1/8" longer. Its been well over a year since mine broke the last time.I figured out this easy fix after this happened 2 times to me.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wish I had seen this thread months ago. I came on tonight to search whether this was a known problem, and if there were good solutions.

I have an '08 Screw with side steps. My 84 year old mom is only able to get into the passenger seat by using the handle. It has been providing false sense of purpose - and security - for the 4+ years since new.

Today it snapped off with no warning. Fortunately, I have always opened and closed the door for her and placed my hand between her shoulder blades just in case her grip should slip, but never once imagining the handle could f-r-e-a-k-i-n-g break!! Thankfully, I caught her.

Unbelievable!! As stated in previous posts I read, this is a law suit waiting to happen. Once I got her balanced on her own feet, I investigated what had happened, and I simply could not believe how cheaply it was designed. Six trivial screws in plastic are never going to cut it.

I am an engineer, and to image that someone with design responsibility for that part actually signed off on it simply stuns me. I bet they saved a whole 1.5 cents on the cost of each handle by not using a proper piece of metal.

There are no words strong enough for my anger right now. If they are not going to build it strong enough to hold, don't put it there!! I can't help but wonder; are the seat-belts also only a mere "impression of purpose"? How about the brakes; did the same engineer sign off on those? Hey, maybe we can save another 2 cents by using Chinese junk metal on the steering tie-rods.

Old 04-22-2013, 06:14 AM
Originally Posted by AvalonRoad
I wish I had seen this thread months ago. I came on tonight to search whether this was a known problem, and if there were good solutions.

I have an '08 Screw with side steps. My 84 year old mom is only able to get into the passenger seat by using the handle. It has been providing false sense of purpose - and security - for the 4+ years since new.

Today it snapped off with no warning. Fortunately, I have always opened and closed the door for her and placed my hand between her shoulder blades just in case her grip should slip, but never once imagining the handle could f-r-e-a-k-i-n-g break!! Thankfully, I caught her.

Unbelievable!! As stated in previous posts I read, this is a law suit waiting to happen. Once I got her balanced on her own feet, I investigated what had happened, and I simply could not believe how cheaply it was designed. Six trivial screws in plastic are never going to cut it.

I am an engineer, and to image that someone with design responsibility for that part actually signed off on it simply stuns me. I bet they saved a whole 1.5 cents on the cost of each handle by not using a proper piece of metal.

There are no words strong enough for my anger right now. If they are not going to build it strong enough to hold, don't put it there!! I can't help but wonder; are the seat-belts also only a mere "impression of purpose"? How about the brakes; did the same engineer sign off on those? Hey, maybe we can save another 2 cents by using Chinese junk metal on the steering tie-rods.
Send this to FMC. Maybe they will address the issue in the spirit of self preservation [liability]. I doubt it though.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about replacing the pillar with smooth units?

Old 04-22-2013, 11:59 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thinking more into it now this explains why they are doing away with the handles in the newer trucks. At least the drivers side.

Ton of other people already mentioned it, lack of looking back a couple pages.

Last edited by DarrenWS6; 04-22-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by tbear853
Yeah, wife especially loves the grab handle on her side!

Didn't realize or notice they were absent 09 up?

Another good reason to lower her some!
I lowered her about 2 inches at both ends in Oct / Nov 2011 and it's pretty much at 4X2 ride height now.

Originally Posted by hmustang
Well i never use mine don't even use the factory running bords I just step on into the cab don't even grab on to anything to get in. I'm only 6ft tall and my truck is at the stock 4x2 hieght.I always thought the handles would be more solid than that glad I never use mine.
And now I, at only 5'10" almost never ever use the handle either, though I did stress to my wife to be careful.

Good thread to keep alive just for the sake of warning others.

Last edited by tbear853; 04-24-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by AvalonRoad

I'm very glad to have seen this thread now or my story could have been very similar. My 80 year old mother relies on me to get her around and she uses the grab handle all the time. What else would one expect it to be for? I doubt she weighs enough to pull it off (or wouldn't have thought so before seeing this anyway) and I'm always behind her in case she slips too, but still...

The difference is my F-150 is a 98. Does anyone know if the older ones are actually tied into the pillar with something substantial (as I and any reasonable thinking being would expect) ? I plan to take stuff apart for a look anyway once (IF) it ever warms up here. Until then it's hands-off the grab handle, or aka what? Scarf hanger? Or would even that be expecting too much of it?

Yeah, really, what was the person who designed (using the term loosely) that thinking?

Kudos to the OP for bringing this to light!

Old 04-24-2013, 03:17 PM
Thumbs up

Since I have put the longer screws in I have not had no more problems. I have to use mine all the time, being I am handicapped.
I also upgraded the passenger side.

Old 07-14-2013, 10:44 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Since I have put the longer screws in I have not had no more problems.
Put longer screws in my drivers side and it was ok for a while, one day I grabbed it lightly and something gave a lil and it is loose again. IMHO, the alum insert that goes into the metal pillar is bending, might drill these out and go with the ones that mushroom on the inside when you tighten it up. Don't really pull my big **** up into my truck BUT these would be nice to actually use as they were intended too.

BTW fwiw I find the drivers back seat rear grab handle a blind spot when you have to turn or merge into another lane, its directly in my line of sight, would be nice if we could find some smooth ones to replace these.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to resurrect a post but it is happening to mine now.

Anyone ever come up with a fix or a solution?

Mine is only weak and not completely broke yet. I have looked on Tasca but I can't tell if I found the correct replacement part or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:47 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dman81
Sorry to resurrect a post but it is happening to mine now.

Anyone ever come up with a fix or a solution?

Mine is only weak and not completely broke yet. I have looked on Tasca but I can't tell if I found the correct replacement part or not.

Any help would be appreciated.
If you actually read through every reply on here you would have seen that I came up with a fix to this problem. Go back and look for my replies and that's how you will resolve this problem.

Old 07-13-2015, 02:25 PM
Thanks Blue Oval... BUT... I *DID* read through all the posts.

In fact, I even read more than that and found another thread you started regarding the same topic where I requested you re-post the photos you had that have expired; and which I hope showcase how the repair was made allowing me the chance to compare our respective truck assembly methodologies to ensure they are indeed the same before I ram a longer screw into a location that may exacerbate an already existing issue.

Instead of assuming that I didn't read all the posts and lambasting me for it, maybe you could just provide us with some informative pics so individuals can do the repair and be void of these unnecessary back and forth posts that litter discussion sites like this.

Look forward to the pics.

And thanks for the assist everyone!!!

Last edited by Dman81; 07-13-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:42 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dman81
Thanks Blue Oval... BUT... I *DID* read through all the posts.

In fact, I even read more than that and found another thread you started regarding the same topic where I requested you re-post the photos you had that have expired; and which I hope showcase how the repair was made allowing me the chance to compare our respective truck assembly methodologies to ensure they are indeed the same before I ram a longer screw into a location that may exacerbate an already existing issue.

Instead of assuming that I didn't read all the posts and lambasting me for it, maybe you could just provide us with some informative pics so individuals can do the repair and be void of these unnecessary back and forth posts that litter discussion sites like this.

Look forward to the pics.

And thanks for the assist everyone!!!
Dman 81, I am very sorry for being arrogant towards you. I was working on my 3rd brake light (the post is on here somewhere) and was very furious with the light. I should not have been so aggressive towards you.
I am sorry but I don't have the pics of the repair work I did. But, I can tell you what I did and you can decide if you want to choose that route.
I used type "B" stainless self tapping screws that are 3/16" longer than the factory screws. Also, dip them in some type of glue right before installing them. This is for that added strength advantage. I was a pipe fitter/certified welder/journeyman plumber before becoming disabled and had some PCV glue. I used that.
Trust me, mine has yet to come loose or even tweak at all since the repair! I am disabled, 5'11" tall, weigh 190 lbs., and HAVE to use my OMG (Oh My God) bar/handle every time I get into my truck.
Good luck and I hope you decide to try my method. It works!

Last edited by BlueOvalFitter; 08-01-2015 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Dman 81, I am very sorry for being arrogant towards you. I was working on my 3rd brake light (the post is on here somewhere) and was very furious with the light. I should not have been so aggressive towards you.
I am sorry but I don't have the pics of the repair work I did. But, I can tell you what I did and you can decide if you want to choose that route.
I used type "B" stainless self tapping screws that are 3/16" longer than the factory screws. Also, dip them in some type of glue right before installing them. This is for that added strength advantage. I was a pipe fitter/certified welder/journeyman plumber before becoming disabled and had some PCV glue. I used that.
Trust me, mine has yet to come loose or even tweak at all since the repair! I am disabled, 5'11" tall, weigh 290 lbs., and HAVE to use my OMG (Oh My God) bar/handle every time I get into my truck.
Good luck and I hope you decide to try my method. It works!

Blue Oval, I appreciate the apology and I hope you got the brake light all figured out. I too know the frustrations that can be caused by your vehicle so I'm pulling for you.

I really appreciate your assistance as well as the added tip about the glue. Next nice day I have, I will rip it off again and see if what you describe could work for mine as well.

Quick Reply: Caution - Pillar handle may break