2004 - 2008 F-150

05 f150 tranny out

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ask your "cousin, the mechanic" what value(s) does the PCM use to control transmission torque reduction with spark retard.

If he knows, then good for him. And if i am ignorant and know more about the subject of the thread than you, what place does that put you in?

Old 02-08-2006, 07:11 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Let's try and keep this civil...

Yes, raising line pressure does help reduce transmission wear to a point. Everything has consequences though, ain't no such thing as a free lunch. Higher line pressure allows the clutches and bands to apply faster (harsher), for a cleaner shift, yes. But this can batter the bands, servos, and valves. There's a lot of stuff going on in an automatic transmission, and events have to be timed with each other to ensure a happy transmission and good shift quality.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
I had my transmission go out on me before.

Yep me too, and mine is almost gone again I think.

Old 02-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by 04 RED LARIAT
Yep me too, and mine is almost gone again I think.
And ive seen videos of the burnouts you pull off, i wonder what the problem could be....hhhhhmmmm....

.....Just Kidding RED

Old 02-08-2006, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Sick05Lariat
And ive seen videos of the burnouts you pull off, i wonder what the problem could be....hhhhhmmmm....

.....Just Kidding RED

Welllllllll I don't know lol. No honestly it has alot of things showing up lately. It has almost 30,000 miles on it, and I have never kept one that long, so I guess its time to trade up.

Old 02-08-2006, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by 04 RED LARIAT
Welllllllll I don't know lol. No honestly it has alot of things showing up lately. It has almost 30,000 miles on it, and I have never kept one that long, so I guess its time to trade up.
You know i dont get it....a guy just finally gets his truck all decked out and then they are ready to trade. Did it to my last truck and still trying to figure that one out. What are you going to do with all your add ons?

BTW..i think those rims would look good on my truck

Old 02-08-2006, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by trytokeepup

I was thinking the same thing.

Old 02-08-2006, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by trytokeepup
You know i dont get it....a guy just finally gets his truck all decked out and then they are ready to trade. Did it to my last truck and still trying to figure that one out. What are you going to do with all your add ons?

Yep they would look good on yours.

I don't know, I am going to hit up a few dealers and see what they offer me for red.

Old 02-08-2006, 09:14 PM
I was thinking tonight IF you have the EDGE. You can set to view the parameter of input and output shafts and trans temp. This would show you if its slipping at all if the two shafts aren't really close in revolutions. Also if the temp, off the chart you know something bad is about to happen. I'm not sure about other tuners you would have to look at their displays.

What's your display say Asinatra????????????????

Old 02-08-2006, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Thrill Racing
I was thinking tonight IF you have the EDGE. You can set to view the parameter of input and output shafts and trans temp. This would show you if its slipping at all if the two shafts aren't really close in revolutions.
That'd only apply if you were monitoring input and output shaft speeds in third gear (direct drive). The speeds between the two will vary throughout all the other gears.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:46 PM
I've been watching several tranny threads. All of them seem to be 5.4 setups.
Anyone seen any problems with the 4.6 tranny?
Thanks
Chris

Old 02-08-2006, 10:51 PM

Not that I know of. I personally haven't seen many '04+ failures. Ford's had enough time to tinker and tweak the 4R70/75W to where mechanically, it's a pretty reliable slushbox. From AOD to AOD-E to 4R70W to 4R75W, over the course of 12 or 14 years. When something fails, it's something pretty oddball and stupid.

Old 02-09-2006, 04:24 AM
Originally Posted by Sick05Lariat
a few questions:
How long were you running the tunes?
Are you still using your tuner?
How do you like those gears, is the truck "quicker" now?
Sorry been out trying to break in the new gears I was running the tunes about 6 months on 91 tune (cali gas ) Yep still running the tunes. since the tranny was replaced I ran the 87 performance tune bucause it seemed easier on the tranny. I now have the 91 back in so we will see. Much better with the gears! I lifted my truck about 1 week after I had it so I could not remember what I missed now I know. Seems to have brought back drivability and acceleration and the tunes also seem to be working alot better now since the truck is no longer on a constant strain. Overall I am very happy. I have not really got on it yet because I want to break them in right but I will by the weekend. I do not expect a major increase in full throttle performance but crusing around feels much better.

One more tranny for the mellow driving I do and it is out of here. I bought a truck so I expect it to be a little more durable than say a 99' Chrysler 300m I had for 6 years that I literally drove like a 16 year old kid in a rice rocket would and never had a problem with it.

The edge programmer to me is kind of risky since it is so new. They also have quite a track record I heard about blowing up diesel trannys. I helped Troyer on the 05 tunes since I was the first he did. After talking with him there is alot more to tuning than maxing everything out. It just scares me that the edge may have done some of this overdoing to create the hype but in the long run may hurt some trucks. For example these engines can run up to 6,200 rpm but anything past 5,400 and you are risking the convertor maybe not for 3 months or even a year but eventually it will happen.

As explained by Quintin the more you max out line pressures and other settings, you start going into damage territory. Everything has a trade off that is why I trust what Mike does as he would not even let me go as firm as I wanted on the shifts due to that very reason plus it can actually slow the truck down after a real hard shift. It may feel faster by knocking your head back more but in real world it is not always better. He also did not like me having 3.73 gears and 35" tires.

Overall I hope it was a bad tranny but I am sure we will all see if this will be a problem

Old 02-09-2006, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Thrill Racing
What's your display say Asinatra????????????????
I'd tell you, but it was so "hot" (74*) yesterday and having a black truck the edge display was pitch black cause the LCD screen got too hot.

Anyone else have thios problem with heat and the display of the edge ?

Old 02-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Yes, raising line pressure does help reduce transmission wear to a point. Everything has consequences though, ain't no such thing as a free lunch. Higher line pressure allows the clutches and bands to apply faster (harsher), for a cleaner shift, yes. But this can batter the bands, servos, and valves. There's a lot of stuff going on in an automatic transmission, and events have to be timed with each other to ensure a happy transmission and good shift quality.
Been there done that. Had a Bronco with a complete B&M Kit. Tough transmission. The weak link was the u-joints. Went through a set a year. Used to keep a spare in my tool box.

Quick Reply: 05 f150 tranny out