2004 - 2008 F-150

05 f150 tranny out

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 11:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DTEK
I also had the same problem on my 05 SCREW at 7,000 miles. 3-4 gear were gone and the truck going into neutral as I went down the road. Turns out it was second that went out (forget the name of the part). I have a 8" CST lift and 35" tires with Troyer Custom tunes. Troyer was way against me running 35" tires on the 3.73 gears. This is what I think the problem was and the tuner added to the stress.

Good news is they put a new transmission in and all has been great for about 4,000 miles and I just dropped 4.56 gears in it yesterday to prevent any other problems.
Hey DTEK...did you have to pay for the new tranny or was it covered under warranty even though you have all those mods?

Old 02-08-2006, 11:42 AM
It wouldn't be the first time an edge programmer killed a Ford Tranny. Remember when the first edge tuners came out for the Powerstroke? People were blowing up their trannys left and right. Edge made great power but the tranny tune sucked so they started stacking the Edge with the SCT shift program and the problems went away.

Old 02-08-2006, 11:51 AM
Technical Article Contributor

My friend blew the tranny on his '05 F250 diesel using an edge. He drives like an ******* of course, but I'm sure the tuner is what did him in cause he drove like an ******* before he got it with no problems.
He just put everything back to stock, including his tires, and he got a new transmission from the dealer under warranty.

Old 02-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm sitting on the fence as to how to respond to this thread. I'm frankly getting tired of dealership/stealership bashing. I know I ain't one of the bad ones, but it's amazing the folks who talk smack about the "stealerships," but when something breaks (often something that they may have broken), they're quick to run to the stealerships to get something for free that shouldn't be.

On one hand, yes, transmissions can and do fail out of the blue. Stuff happens.

On the other hand, Ford's official stance will be that the Edge unit bumped line pressures up and changed shift points outside of their factory parameters and blowed the transmission up, whether or not it really did. Yes, I know about Magnusson Moss, so whoever wants to mention that, save it. If I were working on your truck, I'd rather you tell me up front you're running a programmer and I'll do what I can to take care of you. It'd **** me off that you reloaded everything back to stock, trying to lie and hide it from me that you were running a programmer, and in that case I'd do everything I could to ruin your day. But since I ain't working on your truck, that don't matter. And since the vast majority of dealers in the country will try to tell you that the Edge unit caused your transmission failure, I dunno what to tell you to do.

If you want to get it warrantied, then yes, your best route would be to put everything back to stock and take it in. Just be advised that you're taking money out of people's pockets for a failure that an add on you installed may (emphasis on may - we still don't know what failed in your transmission) have caused. Please keep us posted.

Old 02-08-2006, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by Quintin
I'm sitting on the fence as to how to respond to this thread. I'm frankly getting tired of dealership/stealership bashing. I know I ain't one of the bad ones, but it's amazing the folks who talk smack about the "stealerships," but when something breaks (often something that they may have broken), they're quick to run to the stealerships to get something for free that shouldn't be.

On one hand, yes, transmissions can and do fail out of the blue. Stuff happens.

On the other hand, Ford's official stance will be that the Edge unit bumped line pressures up and changed shift points outside of their factory parameters and blowed the transmission up, whether or not it really did. Yes, I know about Magnusson Moss, so whoever wants to mention that, save it. If I were working on your truck, I'd rather you tell me up front you're running a programmer and I'll do what I can to take care of you. It'd **** me off that you reloaded everything back to stock, trying to lie and hide it from me that you were running a programmer, and in that case I'd do everything I could to ruin your day. But since I ain't working on your truck, that don't matter. And since the vast majority of dealers in the country will try to tell you that the Edge unit caused your transmission failure, I dunno what to tell you to do.

If you want to get it warrantied, then yes, your best route would be to put everything back to stock and take it in. Just be advised that you're taking money out of people's pockets for a failure that an add on you installed may (emphasis on may - we still don't know what failed in your transmission) have caused. Please keep us posted.
Well put!

Old 02-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Originally Posted by vjhpac
Hey DTEK...did you have to pay for the new tranny or was it covered under warranty even though you have all those mods?

No not at all it was fully covered. Now if I had 35k + then there may have been problems. I left everything on the truck as it was.

Old 02-08-2006, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by DTEK
I also had the same problem on my 05 SCREW at 7,000 miles. 3-4 gear were gone and the truck going into neutral as I went down the road. Turns out it was second that went out (forget the name of the part). I have a 8" CST lift and 35" tires with Troyer Custom tunes. Troyer was way against me running 35" tires on the 3.73 gears. This is what I think the problem was and the tuner added to the stress.

Good news is they put a new transmission in and all has been great for about 4,000 miles and I just dropped 4.56 gears in it yesterday to prevent any other problems.

I do not think this is a tranny problem we have to worry about. I have searched and seen nothing. The dealership has also told me they have not seen problems (of course they would) but they had the tranny in stock and if it were a problem they probably would have a backorder on them.

Overall I lost some confidence but I am slowly gaining it back. I am just chalking it up to a bad tranny in the first place. You should be fine after the replacement.
a few questions:
How long were you running the tunes?
Are you still using your tuner?
How do you like those gears, is the truck "quicker" now?

Old 02-08-2006, 03:02 PM
I am interested in knowning what level tune you were running AND if it was the stock Edge tune or had you played with your shift settings. I hate this happened to you but any info you can share with the rest of us to prevent it from happening to us would be VERY appreciated!

Old 02-08-2006, 03:10 PM
I bet if he had a tuner from tro......

Old 02-08-2006, 03:15 PM
Got to keep an eye on this thread!!!

Looking to buy a tuner myself.

I will however throw my 2 cents into this.
My truck is 3 months old. Is doesn't even have 4000 miles on it.
Its in the shop(dealership)right now for a brand new tranny.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:24 PM
Just watching the thread!

Old 02-08-2006, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD

LOL...I knew that was coming. Funny thing is that was your 666th post!

Old 02-08-2006, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by RamSS/T
LOL...I knew that was coming. Funny thing is that was your 666th post!

Old 02-08-2006, 03:57 PM
Originally Posted by FATHERFORD
yeah, but read DTEK's post, i *think* he had a troyer tune when his tranny went out also, and smokestone said he had no tuner, prolly just bad apple tranny's?

Old 02-08-2006, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by Sick05Lariat
yeah, but read DTEK's post, i *think* he had a troyer tune when his tranny went out also, and smokestone said he had no tuner, prolly just bad apple tranny's?
You are correct. I had no tuner, the only mod I have is a Roush exhaust.

Quick Reply: 05 f150 tranny out