2004 - 2008 F-150

05 f150 tranny out

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006, 11:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 05 f150 tranny out

I have an 05 f150 sc 5.4L 3.73 lariat with around 23,000 miles and my tranny went out today. I have had the Edge Evolution installed for almost a week. Do yall think it could be edge's fault? What do yall think could have been the cause?

Old 02-08-2006, 12:02 AM
What went out on it?

Old 02-08-2006, 12:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How are you going to explain that one to the dealer?

Old 02-08-2006, 12:08 AM
Well I was going home for lunch and everything worked perfect, but after lunch when i left home it started slipping into 3rd gear until 3rd and 4th were all the way out, i could rev it as if it were in neutral. I put the stock file back in and tried it again and still 3rd and 4th were still out and i started hearing a loud wine much louder than a normal tranny whine. After that loaded it on a goose neck trailer and hauled it off to the dealer with my dads truck

Old 02-08-2006, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by 05DKstone
Well I was going home for lunch and everything worked perfect, but after lunch when i left home it started slipping into 3rd gear until 3rd and 4th were all the way out, i could rev it as if it were in neutral. I put the stock file back in and tried it again and still 3rd and 4th were still out and i started hearing a loud wine much louder than a normal tranny whine. After that loaded it on a goose neck trailer and hauled it off to the dealer with my dads truck
Interesting.... Did you try restting the truck by unhooking the battery?

Old 02-08-2006, 12:27 AM
I had a 04 sohc 4.0 ranger did the same thing with the Apten custom chip. Also it would kick really hard while shifting even after chip was removed. All I can say friend is deny deny deny, and make sure you remove anything that could possible make the dealer think you was the cause of the malfunction. With this said I know some people are going to be saying aftermarket parts don’t void warranties. Whatever. Ford Dealerships=Stealership. First thing out of dealerships techs’ mouth was have you been running any types of computer programming? I said no and he took me for my word. I guess he seen a 21 year old coming in with a loud exhaust, dark windows, and all the speed essential stickers lol. They did rebuilt tranny, 4 days down time. Soon as they rebuild my tranny ran it for close to 3 months and traded for my 05 F150 Running superchips progammer now for close to 5 months No problems. Happy camper!

no sure didnt, i dont think it would have helped though because the loud whine, its weird, i couldnt believe it, i dont have a clue what could have caused it to do this at 23,000 miles

Sounds like the edge totally cuts out torque reduction (this would explain its violent shifts) and doesn't allow proper fluid moment: which probably burned out some bands! Or maybe your TC burned up and has a bright blue burnt metal look. For the tranny to just fail on its on is a .01% chance.

Another reason why the edge sucks.

Old 02-08-2006, 12:38 AM
The weird thing is my edge never missed a shift and the shifts werent violent, they were just nice firm shifts never banging any gears. Thats why im so confused of my tranny going out. i thought firmer shifts were suppost to make the tranny last longer

Old 02-08-2006, 12:51 AM
The weird thing is my edge never missed a shift and the shifts werent violent, they were just nice firm shifts never banging any gears. Thats why im so confused of my tranny going out. i thought firmer shifts were suppost to make the tranny last longer

Were you running level 2 or level 3?; Also did you have the latest updates? Now you got me concerned. Just want to make sure what to avoid. If you hear anything about it from the dealer please let us know. I also have 5.4 4x4 with the 3.73. What's the number on your transmission?(4R70W OR 4R75E) Thanks.

Old 02-08-2006, 09:23 AM
I have an 05 f150 sc 5.4L 3.73 lariat with around 23,000 miles and my tranny went out today. I have had the Edge Evolution installed for almost a week. Do yall think it could be edge's fault? What do yall think could have been the cause?
Please tell me this is an isolated case...I was thinking about buying a tuner, but hearing things like this really scare me.

Please keep us posted...sorry to hear about this.

Old 02-08-2006, 09:33 AM
asinatra doesn't have a shred of evidence to back up his banter .

My Edge doesn't have violent shifts, I think now the tranny actually feels like it does on other vehicles. Before it always felt like it was slipping.

THE SKY IS NOT FALLING, EVERYONE CALM DOWN!!!!!!!

Good lord talk about a bunch of people about to freak. Trannies go out sorry they do. A TINY particly could have plugged a valve body and burnt that baby up. Stock tune, let the dealer put a new one in it and put your Edge back on. If you don't want to I will take your Edge,lol.

EDIT: 05Dkstone, I am not in any way saying you did this, BUT, no one knows how he drives his pickup. Maybe he's been doing D-drops, or horsing the hell out of it since he got his Tuner. Everyone has to think of all the issues before you jump on one thing causing a failure. Like I said, I'm sure 05Dk knows better than to do this but unless you are in his truck everysingle moment it may have been his driving. I saw a thread a long time ago some guy was telling people to drive and let there tranny slip and keep it slipping until it failed, what idot does something like that.

Last edited by Thrill Racing; 02-08-2006 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally Posted by Thrill Racing
asinatra doesn't have a shred of evidence to back up his banter
I really dont need anything to back me up, considering i have felt the shifts first hand on my truck, but maybe it is just my cal code. Then for this to happen for one of the many cal codes, it could be very possible for the others as well.

And don't give me **** considering you *more than likely* know nothing of how the pcm controls the transmission.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:33 AM
....and here come the open flood gates....I can't see into the future, but I somehow envision this thread being closed in a day or two and the Edge turning into a AF1 type CEL debate.

Fun stuff.....

Duke

Old 02-08-2006, 11:32 AM
I also had the same problem on my 05 SCREW at 7,000 miles. 3-4 gear were gone and the truck going into neutral as I went down the road. Turns out it was second that went out (forget the name of the part). I have a 8" CST lift and 35" tires with Troyer Custom tunes. Troyer was way against me running 35" tires on the 3.73 gears. This is what I think the problem was and the tuner added to the stress.

Good news is they put a new transmission in and all has been great for about 4,000 miles and I just dropped 4.56 gears in it yesterday to prevent any other problems.

I do not think this is a tranny problem we have to worry about. I have searched and seen nothing. The dealership has also told me they have not seen problems (of course they would) but they had the tranny in stock and if it were a problem they probably would have a backorder on them.

Overall I lost some confidence but I am slowly gaining it back. I am just chalking it up to a bad tranny in the first place. You should be fine after the replacement.

Quick Reply: 05 f150 tranny out