2004 - 2008 F-150

05 f150 tranny out

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asinatra
Anyone else have thios problem with heat and the display of the edge ?
I had a problem with my display, after 3 weeks of ownership it started to sometimes go blank after starting the engine on a Sunday. Even thou it was blank it was still illuminated and would not do off even after removing the key.

One e-mail to Edge that Sunday night got me a reply and then an RMA # to return the unit on Monday. Edge sent me a new one 2nd Air to me for free. Works perfectly since.

Now that's customer service at it's finest.

Ironically after I first started having problems with the display and returned it I noticed the next day my battery was dead and the truck wouldn't start. I think in reality there was nothing wrong with my Edge and the issue was due to a low voltage condition from leaving the doors open a lot and running the stereo while cleaning it the day before I had the problem.

Still, Edge stepped up and took care of me immediately.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:26 PM
I had a problem with my display, after 3 weeks of ownership it started to sometimes go blank after starting the engine on a Sunday. Even thou it was blank it was still illuminated and would not do off even after removing the key.
Wife told me my EDGE did the same thing yesterday morning. Worked fine later in the day.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:27 PM
Im thinking the display is the same (or similar) to the thousands that they have sold over the last few years. If it was a design problem, it would have shown up before now. Asinatra, where did you have the display for it to go black? If it got direct sunlight through the windshield, it would turn it black. I had a cellphone do that one time. Did you have it laying on the dash? The sun does get mighty bright in Cali so i hear!

Old 02-09-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by expy03
Wife told me my EDGE did the same thing yesterday morning. Worked fine later in the day.
You LET your WIFE drive

What were you thinking?

Just kidding

My wife is scared to drive mine because she's afraid something will happen to it. She drove my last vehicle to work and somebody hit it while she was at work and they kept going. $3,000 worth of damage on a car that was only 3 mos. old.

Old 02-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by gobra
Im thinking the display is the same (or similar) to the thousands that they have sold over the last few years. If it was a design problem, it would have shown up before now. Asinatra, where did you have the display for it to go black? If it got direct sunlight through the windshield, it would turn it black. I had a cellphone do that one time. Did you have it laying on the dash? The sun does get mighty bright in Cali so i hear!
The rear of the pod was in direct sunlight. But it was only 74* outside and maybe 90*ish in the cab, when it gets to be 100* and 140*+ in the cab its gonna get ugly

Old 02-11-2006, 05:49 PM
Any update on the tranny situation?

Old 02-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Quintin
Not that I know of. I personally haven't seen many '04+ failures. Ford's had enough time to tinker and tweak the 4R70/75W to where mechanically, it's a pretty reliable slushbox. From AOD to AOD-E to 4R70W to 4R75W, over the course of 12 or 14 years. When something fails, it's something pretty oddball and stupid.

Unfortunately, its those "stupid" things that are expensive and dont seem "stupid" but actually very serious. WTF is with the trans failing?? Its not like theres a whole lot of power in front of it???

Old 02-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The way your trany is acting was the way my old truck trany was acting except it was 1st and 2nd gears shifts that it slipped and reved like crazy until it finaly made it to 3rd I traded that ruck in within a week of having the problem fom my new truck that i have been happy with for a little over 3 months now.

Old 02-13-2006, 11:25 AM
05DKStone,

Any update on your tranny situation?

Old 02-16-2006, 12:55 AM
hey guys, some good news. My dealer called me today and said my truck was ready to be picked up. The only thing that had went wrong was my speed sensor went out which made my truck confused as when to shift and what gear to shift in. They said when the speed sensor goes out and the truck dont know when to shift it messes up the gears in the tranny, which leaves them to put a new tranny in there or rebuild the old one. My truck got a new tranny in it. My dealer told me they have had 3 other trucks do the same thing and it was just the speed sensor on them to. They said the speed sensor comes from some company in New England. They also said that the company, were the sensors are made, has to pay for the tranny replacement because the sensor is not a Ford product. This also means that all this has nothing to do with the edge.

Old 02-16-2006, 02:09 AM
Originally Posted by 05DKstone
hey guys, some good news. My dealer called me today and said my truck was ready to be picked up. The only thing that had went wrong was my speed sensor went out which made my truck confused as when to shift and what gear to shift in. They said when the speed sensor goes out and the truck dont know when to shift it messes up the gears in the tranny, which leaves them to put a new tranny in there or rebuild the old one. My truck got a new tranny in it. My dealer told me they have had 3 other trucks do the same thing and it was just the speed sensor on them to. They said the speed sensor comes from some company in New England. They also said that the company, were the sensors are made, has to pay for the tranny replacement because the sensor is not a Ford product. This also means that all this has nothing to do with the edge.
Nice dude. I'm glad it wasn't your Edge that caused it.

Old 02-16-2006, 02:59 AM
This is great news. Sounds like you dealer gave you good info. My dealer plain sucked and said the tranny went out and they are putting in a new one. Hell the sevice guy had no idea what went out and I had no time to try and talk to the mechanic. Since it is a new tranny I was happy. That is great news for you and a good heads up for the rest of us.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:37 AM
Originally Posted by 05DKstone
That's good news.

Just a thought ....thinking about when the warranty is up and this sounds expensive . Sure would be nice if a faulty speed sensor would set off a code....might save a tranny?

Old 02-16-2006, 08:40 AM
Good news, thanks.

Bad news is we all may have a speed sensor go out!

Thanks for the update.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:23 AM
Replacing transmission

Add me to the list

Took my truck to the dealer for what I thought was the rear end whine.
got a call from the dealer yesterday they said it was the planetary gear in the tranny, They said ford has approved a new transmission.

9,000 miles

Quick Reply: 05 f150 tranny out