2004 - 2008 F-150

Power Folding Mirror Install on F150

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 06:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Riverman
This is the diagram I was talking about

I have created a gallery with four diagrams that should help you figure it out.
Mirror Installation
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!!!

Old 03-13-2006, 09:16 PM
Do the power folding mirrors look exactly the same as the standard ones on a XLT? I have to replace the passenger side mirror, and would like to use a folding one without replacing the driver side.
Thanks

Old 03-13-2006, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by Ray_F150
Do the power folding mirrors look exactly the same as the standard ones on a XLT? I have to replace the passenger side mirror, and would like to use a folding one without replacing the driver side.
Thanks
They look exactly the same if you have the ones with the signal lamps. They also are heated if you have the heated options. The only difference is that they also have puddle lamps on the bottom. however, they are barely noticeable. i would say go for it.

Old 03-13-2006, 11:12 PM
Originally Posted by str8ace
They look exactly the same if you have the ones with the signal lamps. They also are heated if you have the heated options. The only difference is that they also have puddle lamps on the bottom. however, they are barely noticeable. i would say go for it.

Anyone know if the puddle lamps could be added to the LT power/heated/turn signal mirrors? I had those puddle lamps on my 99 Eddie Bauer Explorer and that is one nice option - surprised they don't come on the Lariat's...

Old 03-17-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by Riverman
Another place one could save a little money is the plug for the PFM Part # 3U2Z-14S411-ASAA. The plug layout is the same as a regular 5 pin ford relay switch so you can find cheaper plugs that will fit and do the same job. When you interpret the diagram for wiring the PFM assume you are looking at the receiving side of the plug with the wires coming out of the back.
Do you mean one of these? Relay Socket Also, is the PFM relay just a regular automotive relay, or is there something special about it that would prevent a cheaper relay (typical SPST or SPDT) from being used?

Old 03-17-2006, 01:58 PM
The relay for the pfm module is actually 2 relays. I saw it on a web page somewhere since obviously someone made it for ford.

Old 03-19-2006, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by Preyhunter
Do you mean one of these? Relay Socket Also, is the PFM relay just a regular automotive relay, or is there something special about it that would prevent a cheaper relay (typical SPST or SPDT) from being used?
Yes that is the relay plug I was referring to. Yes it will fit the PFM. To figure out which way is up use this drawing.

There is a lot more to the Power Fold Module than a regular relay switch. It is about twice as big and it operates similar to a garage door opener. When you hit it once it goes one way and when you hit it again it goes the other way to the end. I’m not sure how it knows when to stop, but it does.
For me the plug cost more than the PFM that is why I suggest an alternative. There are differences, the recommended PFM Plug has gauge 12 wire for all five pins, while the cheaper plug has thinner wire at pins 4 and 2. Gauge 12 is overkill for sure.

Old 03-19-2006, 08:05 PM
Riverman
are you sure you used the diagram that I drew up to make your mirrors work? Just asking because it was a guess as far as if it would work or not. And nice job on making sure the orientation of the plug was correct.

Someone that is about to do this mod should make a step by step and start a new thread post a link to it at the end of this one. That way we can just point people to this step by step process instead of the constant "has this worked yet". Make sense?

Anyone that has done this pics of completion would be nice as far as where the module was mounted etc etc.

Old 03-20-2006, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by Ascii
Riverman
are you sure you used the diagram that I drew up to make your mirrors work? Just asking because it was a guess as far as if it would work or not. And nice job on making sure the orientation of the plug was correct.
Yes I wired my mirrors the way your diagram shows, it was a great help and thank you. For one think it makes the wiring seem simple, and it is. No blown fuses, no blown PFM, no experimentation, it just worked the way it should. Before hooking it up though I did confirm the pin functions of the PFM by taking it apart. If you look closely at the little circuit board inside you can actually tell what each pin's function might be.
I agree with starting a new thread. Someone starting this project should put the new changes in a PDF file like the one on the first page. For myself I’m moving on to my next modification, shaved electric latches for my tonneau cover.

Old 03-20-2006, 09:08 PM
Pleased to see my diagram actually works....

I have started writing a tutorial on this mixing some of what i know and some of the original pdf.

Also I thought of one question while doing this.

the new mirrors up/dn/rt/lt movement at the joystick are reverse of the 2004 i think if you use the new switch and the new mirrors it will fix this without having to change wires around but i am not sure30 bucks or switch some wires.

Did you all tap into the int lights for the puddle lamps?

Also what are the new part numbers for the mirrors and what did you pay for them?

so many questions so little hands on experience for me.

Old 04-14-2006, 10:48 PM
tgt
Hey Fellas -

Any others have updates at all (re: the step by step 'new' thread). I read this one from top to bottom (GREAT info!). I'm going to attempt this on my '06 Lariat and want to make sure I have my ducks in a row first.

Anyone have those new PN's? (for the mirrors and relay). I have looked them up and e-mailed a few places for numbers. I will post them once I know them if someone doesn't first. After reading the posts again (second time through) and reviewing all of the said diagrams in detail, I'm going for it....sounds straight forward enough. Thank you all for the research!

Thanks!
Travis

Last edited by tgt; 04-15-2006 at 12:01 AM.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:56 PM
PFM Instruction Status?

Has ANYONE done a new step-by-step instructions using the factory switch?

Both mirrors on my 04 Lariat SCrew are broken and I want to upgrade to the PFM.

PLEASE help out those who want to do this. I am a bit confused about what info has gone back and fourth in this thread.

Thanks!

Old 11-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Cool

So nobody wants to share, huh? Ascii??? Riverman??

Just going to leave us hanging out here in the cold?

Old 11-09-2006, 09:40 AM
Has anyone tried these mirrors in place of the OEM?

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Mirrors/For...crn=&ovtac=CMP

According to the reseller, they are to the same specifications as the OEM mirros.

Old 11-09-2006, 12:51 PM
ya i always wanted to do it but never had instructions like that. can you do one for some other mods. like grilles,edge,elecfan ...haha

Quick Reply: Power Folding Mirror Install on F150