2015 - 2020 F-150

Lowering a 4X4

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 06:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowering a 4X4

I regularly need 4wd but don't do the off road thing anymore so have no need for the ground clearance and have had enough of big tires. I would like to lower a 4X4 to the same height as a 4X2.

Question: Do the front end parts all have the same geometry, particularly the spindles? Can I simply drop the front and redo the alignment? Rear is easy, but I'm not too sure about the front.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:28 PM
I think of you drop the rear 2" you'll be surprised how low it really is.
See if you can find several hundred pounds of something to put in the back and make it squat for a test.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:51 PM
How about the front? My original question.
Thanks

Old 07-27-2016, 09:37 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Well, your details indicate a 2001 4X4 but you're in a 2015-16 model year section. Not that I care, but not likely to garner the replies you seak.

There is this long thread to get you started .... in suspension section.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/su...x4-thread.html

I lowered my '07 FX4 to 2wd height ..... maybe a hair more in front .... love it.

Last edited by tbear853; 07-30-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by tbear853
Well, your details indicate a 2001 4X4 but you're in a 2015-16 model year section. Not that I care, but not likely to garner the replies you seak.

There is this long thread to get you started .... in suspension section.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/su...x4-thread.html

I lowered my '07 FX4 to 2wd height ..... maybe a hair more in front .... love it.
I assumed that since I was asking in the 15-16 sub forum, that people would understand that I would want the info for the year models 15-16. While I do own an 01, I am shopping a new truck and ability to set a 4x4 lower is one of several things that will play into the purchase decision.

Thank you for posting the thread, but I'm not seeing an answer to my question there. Anyone know if the 4X4 and 4X2 share front suspension geometry, more specifically spindle geometry?

Old 07-28-2016, 07:25 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
You will need 2wd shocks up front

You will need 2wd U bolts (block delete)

You will get approximately 1.5" drop out of this setup

Old 07-28-2016, 07:26 PM
Global Moderator &

Old 07-28-2016, 07:29 PM
While I appreciate the replies, the question was specific. Anyone?

Old 07-28-2016, 07:36 PM
Global Moderator &

They "share" common Lower and Upper control arms

2wd uses spindle with a two piece hub
4wd uses a knuckle with a bolt on hub

The ride height difference between the two is achieve with different length shocks.

The geometry is *slightly* different. They both are SLA (Short-Long Arm) style geometry.

If you were to lower a 4wd using 2wd struts, you *slightly* altered your factory geometry, but you would then be mimicking 2wd geometry.

You're arguing about a miniscule amount of difference, and pissing off people trying to help, because you can't read between the lines. Did I spell it out enough for you?

Old 07-28-2016, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Patman
You're arguing about a miniscule amount of difference, and pissing off people trying to help, because you can't read between the lines. Did I spell it out enough for you?

Old 07-28-2016, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by stuck screw
I assumed ... etc ...
Some people change their details, some don't change them. Some people post in wrong places, others don't. I don't assume much these days.

Anyway .... I see that Patman has spelled it out.

Last edited by tbear853; 07-30-2016 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2016, 08:33 AM

The ride height difference between the two is achieve with different length shocks.

The geometry is *slightly* different. They both are SLA (Short-Long Arm) style geometry.

If you were to lower a 4wd using 2wd struts, you *slightly* altered your factory geometry, but you would then be mimicking 2wd geometry.

Wasn't arguing about anything, just asking a specific question. Can't help that people find the temptation to speak up with non-answers irresistible.

Never asked how to lower the front, rear, or anything else. Just asked a specific question. If my continuing to push for a direct answer to a direct question pisses people off to the point that they stop providing advice I didn't ask for, that would be great. Even your supposed direct answer did not answer the simple question of whether the spindle has a different geometry. Thank you for clarifying that they share arms.

Seriously: A simple yes or no on the spindles would suffice. That is if anyone around here actually knows. If not, that's fine too, but I would rather my thread drift off into oblivion than read a bunch of crap where people try and show how much they do know when they actually have no idea.

Old 07-29-2016, 08:38 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Wasn't arguing about anything, just asking a specific question. Can't help that people find the temptation to speak up with non-answers irresistible.

Never asked how to lower the front, rear, or anything else. Just asked a specific question. If my continuing to push for a direct answer to a direct question pisses people off to the point that they stop providing advice I didn't ask for, that would be great. Even your supposed direct answer did not answer the simple question of whether the spindle has a different geometry. Thank you for clarifying that they share arms.

Seriously: A simple yes or no on the spindles would suffice. That is if anyone around here actually knows. If not, that's fine too, but I would rather my thread drift off into oblivion than read a bunch of crap where people try and show how much they do know when they actually have no idea.
Be careful what you step in, Patman knows about as much about lowering F150s as anyone, anywhere. he was just trying to assist and though he may not have answered the way you wanted, he took his time to try to help.

Old 07-29-2016, 09:21 AM
Global Moderator &

Question: Do the front end parts all have the same geometry, particularly the spindles?.
IAnyone know if the 4X4 and 4X2 share front suspension geometry, more specifically spindle geometry?
You will need 2wd shocks up front

The geometry is *slightly* different
. They both are SLA (Short-Long Arm) style geometry.

Originally Posted by tbear853
Anyway .... I see that Patman has spelled it out.
Even your supposed direct answer did not answer the simple question of whether the spindle has a different geometry. Thank you for clarifying that they share arms.

Seriously: A simple yes or no on the spindles would suffice.
The answer is No. 4x4 doesn't have spindles

The answer is Yes the distance/angle/geometery/relationship between the upper and lower ball joints is the same

Old 07-29-2016, 10:29 AM
That was a waste of effort .......

Last edited by tbear853; 07-30-2016 at 05:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Lowering a 4X4