F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2015 - 2020 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2015-2020-f-150-136/)
-   -   Lowering a 4X4 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2015-2020-f-150/511084-lowering-4x4.html)

stuck screw 07-27-2016 06:05 AM

Lowering a 4X4

I regularly need 4wd but don't do the off road thing anymore so have no need for the ground clearance and have had enough of big tires. I would like to lower a 4X4 to the same height as a 4X2.

Question: Do the front end parts all have the same geometry, particularly the spindles? Can I simply drop the front and redo the alignment? Rear is easy, but I'm not too sure about the front.

Scott91370 07-27-2016 07:28 PM

I think of you drop the rear 2" you'll be surprised how low it really is.
See if you can find several hundred pounds of something to put in the back and make it squat for a test.

stuck screw 07-27-2016 07:51 PM

How about the front? My original question.
Thanks

tbear853 07-27-2016 09:37 PM

Well, your details indicate a 2001 4X4 but you're in a 2015-16 model year section. Not that I care, but not likely to garner the replies you seak.

There is this long thread to get you started .... in suspension section.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/su...x4-thread.html

I lowered my '07 FX4 to 2wd height ..... maybe a hair more in front .... love it.

stuck screw 07-28-2016 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by tbear853 (Post 5199500)
Well, your details indicate a 2001 4X4 but you're in a 2015-16 model year section. Not that I care, but not likely to garner the replies you seak.

There is this long thread to get you started .... in suspension section.
https://www.f150online.com/forums/su...x4-thread.html

I lowered my '07 FX4 to 2wd height ..... maybe a hair more in front .... love it.

I assumed that since I was asking in the 15-16 sub forum, that people would understand that I would want the info for the year models 15-16. While I do own an 01, I am shopping a new truck and ability to set a 4x4 lower is one of several things that will play into the purchase decision.

Thank you for posting the thread, but I'm not seeing an answer to my question there. Anyone know if the 4X4 and 4X2 share front suspension geometry, more specifically spindle geometry?

Patman 07-28-2016 07:25 PM

You will need 2wd shocks up front

You will need 2wd U bolts (block delete)

You will get approximately 1.5" drop out of this setup

Patman 07-28-2016 07:26 PM

https://www.f150online.com/forums/st...screw-4x4.html

stuck screw 07-28-2016 07:29 PM

While I appreciate the replies, the question was specific. Anyone?

Patman 07-28-2016 07:36 PM

They "share" common Lower and Upper control arms

2wd uses spindle with a two piece hub
4wd uses a knuckle with a bolt on hub

The ride height difference between the two is achieve with different length shocks.

The geometry is *slightly* different. They both are SLA (Short-Long Arm) style geometry.

If you were to lower a 4wd using 2wd struts, you *slightly* altered your factory geometry, but you would then be mimicking 2wd geometry.

You're arguing about a miniscule amount of difference, and pissing off people trying to help, because you can't read between the lines. Did I spell it out enough for you?

Scott91370 07-28-2016 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Patman (Post 5199569)
You're arguing about a miniscule amount of difference, and pissing off people trying to help, because you can't read between the lines. Did I spell it out enough for you?

:thumber:

tbear853 07-28-2016 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by stuck screw (Post 5199564)
I assumed ... etc ...

Some people change their details, some don't change them. Some people post in wrong places, others don't. I don't assume much these days. :lol:

Anyway .... I see that Patman has spelled it out.:thumbsup:

stuck screw 07-29-2016 08:33 AM

The ride height difference between the two is achieve with different length shocks.

The geometry is *slightly* different. They both are SLA (Short-Long Arm) style geometry.

If you were to lower a 4wd using 2wd struts, you *slightly* altered your factory geometry, but you would then be mimicking 2wd geometry.

Wasn't arguing about anything, just asking a specific question. Can't help that people find the temptation to speak up with non-answers irresistible.

Never asked how to lower the front, rear, or anything else. Just asked a specific question. If my continuing to push for a direct answer to a direct question pisses people off to the point that they stop providing advice I didn't ask for, that would be great. Even your supposed direct answer did not answer the simple question of whether the spindle has a different geometry. Thank you for clarifying that they share arms.

Seriously: A simple yes or no on the spindles would suffice. That is if anyone around here actually knows. If not, that's fine too, but I would rather my thread drift off into oblivion than read a bunch of crap where people try and show how much they do know when they actually have no idea.

Bluejay 07-29-2016 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by stuck screw (Post 5199594)
Wasn't arguing about anything, just asking a specific question. Can't help that people find the temptation to speak up with non-answers irresistible.

Never asked how to lower the front, rear, or anything else. Just asked a specific question. If my continuing to push for a direct answer to a direct question pisses people off to the point that they stop providing advice I didn't ask for, that would be great. Even your supposed direct answer did not answer the simple question of whether the spindle has a different geometry. Thank you for clarifying that they share arms.

Seriously: A simple yes or no on the spindles would suffice. That is if anyone around here actually knows. If not, that's fine too, but I would rather my thread drift off into oblivion than read a bunch of crap where people try and show how much they do know when they actually have no idea.

Be careful what you step in, Patman knows about as much about lowering F150s as anyone, anywhere. he was just trying to assist and though he may not have answered the way you wanted, he took his time to try to help.

Patman 07-29-2016 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by stuck screw (Post 5199458)
Question: Do the front end parts all have the same geometry, particularly the spindles?.

Originally Posted by stuck screw (Post 5199564)
IAnyone know if the 4X4 and 4X2 share front suspension geometry, more specifically spindle geometry?

Originally Posted by Patman (Post 5199566)
You will need 2wd shocks up front

The geometry is *slightly* different
. They both are SLA (Short-Long Arm) style geometry.

Originally Posted by tbear853 (Post 5199576)
Anyway .... I see that Patman has spelled it out.:thumbsup:

Originally Posted by stuck screw (Post 5199594)
Even your supposed direct answer did not answer the simple question of whether the spindle has a different geometry. Thank you for clarifying that they share arms.

Seriously: A simple yes or no on the spindles would suffice.

The answer is No. 4x4 doesn't have spindles

The answer is Yes the distance/angle/geometery/relationship between the upper and lower ball joints is the same

:deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse::deadhorse:

tbear853 07-29-2016 10:29 AM

That was a waste of effort ....... :D