magnaflow vs flowmaster

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep in mind now...everyone keeps saying 10ft. lbs.......I said that, but that was on a mustang. Trucks may be more or less, I don't know.

The one thing I do know is.....If I'm spending the money...I want the best performance I can get along with the sound. Losing "anything" is too much for me.

Old 09-01-2006, 09:26 AM
Spinal: Here's the true dual setup you're looking for. (Edit: Whoops, i just saw that you commented in there so you've already seen it! )

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=251057

The only thing I would do differently next time is move the x-pipe further forward. Here's what it sounds like...

http://media.putfile.com/My-Exhaust---Startup-and-Rev

Hope that helps you some!

Last edited by NCSU_05_FX4; 09-01-2006 at 09:39 AM.
Old 09-03-2006, 09:54 AM
ScrewUf150

Originally Posted by ScrewedUPF150
Fish, dude I can still spin my tires after my Flow install on my 03 5.4. I gotta call you on that one. A muffler aint all that serious. A Flowmaster is not robbing power like that and a Magnaflow is not generating much xtra HP especially on the low end.

Are you ready? Here is your proof .

MagnaFlow - 3" inlet / 3 " outlet, Offset / Center
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/12314350189.jpg&s=f5
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/12314342883.jpg&s=f5
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/12314334510.jpg&s=f5

Flowmaster Super 40 - 3" inlet / 3" outlet, Offset / Center
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/12314332164.jpg&s=f5
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/12314325738.jpg&s=f5
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=5/12314314156.jpg&s=f5

Sure looks like the MagnaFlow flowed about 220 cfm MORE than the Flowmaster...

Old 09-03-2006, 06:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
220 Cfm

Okay I dont think that as a big deal. Bang for buck that is negligible. My whole exhaust with SIDO Flowmaster muffler, custom bent tubing, and chrome tips all welded on the truck was $320. I know my Flowmaster exceeds the stock muffler that was on the truck. I dont think an extra 220 CFM is worth the cost. Any other opinions welcome cause I know what Fish says and aint buyin it.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:42 AM
Okay I dont think that as a big deal. Bang for buck that is negligible. My whole exhaust with SIDO Flowmaster muffler, custom bent tubing, and chrome tips all welded on the truck was $320. I know my Flowmaster exceeds the stock muffler that was on the truck. I dont think an extra 220 CFM is worth the cost. Any other opinions welcome cause I know what Fish says and aint buyin it.
Cost? 80 more bucks is what your concerned about? And that gets you a better flowing, no torque robbing, stainless cat-back. Seems like a no-brainer to me. But that's just my opinion.

If you want to lose performance just to save 80 bucks, then go right ahead. Just don't get so offensive when what we're saying has been proven time and time again. Just because you feel you have to defend the system you shelled money out for.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up Last Post on the Subject

After some extended thought on the subject I have concluded the following : Now some people claim they lost this with this muffler and gained this with this muffler. Flow and Mag both have a long line of mufflers. In the tests only two particular mufflers from each line went head to head. The results from that test can not speak for the whole line of each brand. So depending on what muffler you have on your vehicle will determine any loss or gain. This would probably be why some report a loss and others do not. I bought what I bought for the sound only. Like I said I am from the school of thought that not much is gained from a muffler. I believe my muffler flows better than stock so if thats the case I have not lost a thing. I bought a chip, e fans and CAI for performance mods. The chip is the most noticeable then a slight increase from the e fans. I have not noticed any seat of the pants gain from any other mod. THE END

Old 09-07-2006, 08:08 AM
After some extended thought on the subject I have concluded the following : Now some people claim they lost this with this muffler and gained this with this muffler. Flow and Mag both have a long line of mufflers. In the tests only two particular mufflers from each line went head to head. The results from that test can not speak for the whole line of each brand. So depending on what muffler you have on your vehicle will determine any loss or gain. This would probably be why some report a loss and others do not. I bought what I bought for the sound only. Like I said I am from the school of thought that not much is gained from a muffler. I believe my muffler flows better than stock so if thats the case I have not lost a thing. I bought a chip, e fans and CAI for performance mods. The chip is the most noticeable then a slight increase from the e fans. I have not noticed any seat of the pants gain from any other mod. THE END
Yes, but your not understanding the whole thing we're trying to say. It's the baffling system that Flowmaster uses in ALL it's mufflers that robs torque. That baffling system is different than your stock muffler. Yes, you gained more air flow and might have gained a little HP over stock. But on the same token, the baffling system also causes a loss in torque. So you gain on one side and lose on the other with flows. It doesn't matter which series of flow it is...they all use the same baffling system.

It's the exact reason why the Mustang performance world, many years ago coined the name "Slowmasters" for the flows. Because of all the tests done showing the torque loss. It's still the same today.

Now, if all you want is sound. Go with the flows. If you want the best of both worlds.....great sound AND performance...go with a straight through muffler design(without the baffling) like Magnaflow, Bassani, Borla etc.

That's just my thing. If I put something on my truck, I do NOT want to take anything away from the performance side...when there are plenty of options that will afford both.

Old 09-07-2006, 12:21 PM
The End

So depending on what muffler you have on your vehicle will determine any loss or gain. I bought what I bought for the sound only. Like I said I am from the school of thought that not much is gained from a muffler. I believe my muffler flows better than stock so if thats the case I have not lost a thing. THE END
Do you need any more proof.....................

NCSU 05 FX4 did a dyno of 246 hp and 301 tq located in this post:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...51#post2278651

Troyer did a dyno of RP truck and got 268 hp and 325 tq located in this post:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...28#post2197428

I know that NCSU is running rich but I don't think he is going to make up 22 hp and 24 tq.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:12 PM
adt
[QUOTE=flashbang756]Yes, but your not understanding the whole thing we're trying to say. It's the baffling system that Flowmaster uses in ALL it's mufflers that robs torque. That baffling system is different than your stock muffler. Yes, you gained more air flow and might have gained a little HP over stock. But on the same token, the baffling system also causes a loss in torque. So you gain on one side and lose on the other with flows. It doesn't matter which series of flow it is...they all use the same baffling system.

It's the exact reason why the Mustang performance world, many years ago coined the name "Slowmasters" for the flows. Because of all the tests done showing the torque loss. It's still the same today.

We're only talking about 10 or so lbs. ft. of torque. You can see that on a dyno, you might lose a drag race because of it, but you won't feel it in the seat of your pants and that's the point. If you put on Flows, you'll get better performance and great sound and no one can dispute that. The best bang for the buck.

Old 09-07-2006, 08:56 PM
[QUOTE=adt]
Originally Posted by adt
We're only talking about 10 or so lbs. ft. of torque. You can see that on a dyno, you might lose a drag race because of it, but you won't feel it in the seat of your pants and that's the point. If you put on Flows, you'll get better performance and great sound and no one can dispute that. The best bang for the buck.

Now that is the funniest thing I heard all night!
What kind of point is that (keep digging)?

Last edited by Silverfish; 09-09-2006 at 07:24 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:13 AM
Silverfish, good job bringing facts to the table. I had a flowmaster muffler on my dodge dakota 4.7l. Man, it sure sounded great but the loss was noticeable. To me it is a no brainer, when you go to your local exhaust shop look at the flowmaster cutaway that they all have. It clearly shows the baffles that give the flowmaster its sound. Heck, even go to their website. If you can't look at that and think that it is more restrictive than a straight though style muffler you are crazy. If you prefer the sound of a Flowmaster over a Mangnaflow enough to disregard the loss is torque then you are a flowmaster kind of guy. I can't lie, my 40 series sounded great and turned a lot of heads. This time around I am going with Magnaflow. I want the performance or a staright through style muffler, the sound is pretty good, and the stainless steel is another plus.

Also, If you go from 250 torque stock to 240 with a flow, and go to 260 with a magnaflow that is a difference of 20 lb. ft. of torque. Too me that is a big difference if you are looking for performance upgrade.

Last edited by cskrmetti; 09-08-2006 at 12:16 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:04 PM
[QUOTE=Silverfish]
Originally Posted by adt

Now that is the funniest thing I heard all night!
What kind of point is that (keep digging)?
No no no my friend...please edit that. I didn't say that. It's just someone that has no clue how to quote. I said everything "BUT" that last paragraph. That was his statement.

You can refer to the rest of my posts and see where I stand on this.

Oh and for the record.....the only person to say 10ft.lbs. of torque was me. And that was on a mustang test. Not trucks. It could be much more, I don't know. So everyone get 10 ft. lbs. out of your head...sheesh.

Old 09-09-2006, 09:47 AM
so much stuff about both lol, im like tearing myself apart i read something good about one, bad about the other then the opposite way and so on. maybe i'll just go for the one thats instock at the store lol.

Old 09-09-2006, 10:37 AM
Originally Posted by Spinal
so much stuff about both lol, im like tearing myself apart i read something good about one, bad about the other then the opposite way and so on. maybe i'll just go for the one thats instock at the store lol.
Just buy a straight through muffler!! Like cskrmetti said, it's a no brainer that a straight-through type muffler will be better for air flow than one with baffling where the air has to work it's way around all the baffling before it gets out.

It's just up to you if want the flow sound and don't care about the performance. Or if you want the best of both worlds, good sound and best performance, then get a Magnaflow, Borla, Banks, Bassani etc. etc.

Old 09-09-2006, 03:39 PM
what exactly is a straight through one? i dont want anything affecting my emissions...and ya i kinda want the best of both worlds, performance and the sound but mostly performance i mean it doesn't have to sound like a nascar or something lol but decent.

Quick Reply: magnaflow vs flowmaster