magnaflow vs flowmaster

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 98Navi
No one bothers to notice that I have a 98 model 5.4, which had a flywheel stock 230HP. Now, transferred through the driveline and dyno tested, an exhilerating 164 HP hit the ground. Using basic entry level Powerdyne supercharger, and a few add ons, 262HP was a 60% increase. Now, for the rest of you GURUS who thing you know it all, show me a 60% increase on your vehicle. I run nonPI heads on a 100K mile motor with a stock bottom end. I challange just about any of you (less a coupe that aided me in my setup) to gain 60% working with outdated technology.
This is the funnest thing I heard all day.......just think what it would be w/out........never mind......this is like beating a live horse with a rusted Flowmaster causing it to get a Tetanus Shot .

Old 09-17-2006, 02:49 PM
I have a 2006 5.4l 3v. The piping is 2.5" so i decided to stick with that since I am not going to supercharge the truck.
Anyways, I used a Flowmaster 40 series that I had on my old 2000 gt mustang that I had laying around. It has a good sound and I am very pleased with it. The muffler is a 2.5" in and 2.5" out. All I needed to buy was a stainless tip to make it look nice. IMO this is the best route to go. It has a deep sound but not quite as loud since I didnt use 3" piping.

Old 09-17-2006, 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by Silverfish
This is the funnest thing I heard all day.......just think what it would be w/out........never mind......this is like beating a live horse with a rusted Flowmaster causing it to get a Tetanus Shot .
What you fail to recognize is that changing to magnaflow, I would increase flow, decrease backpressure further, and loose power along with quality sound for crap sound. Running the size pipe I have (3") I am already scolded by my tuner and suppliers for not allowing the necassary back pressure to optimize the blower.

Old 09-17-2006, 07:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The school I'm from taught me forced induction vehicles, turbo or supercharger, needs a free flowing exhaust. Flowmaster mufflers are more restrictive, magnaflow mufflers aren't, but everyone goes to different schools, and I dislike tit for tat arguments.

I do think my magnaflow sounds better than a flowmaster, just an opinion.

Old 09-17-2006, 07:54 PM
If the Flowmaster mufflers are more restrictive then why do you always tell us we lose low end torque from losing backpressure?

Old 09-17-2006, 11:40 PM
Originally Posted by Zaairman
If the Flowmaster mufflers are more restrictive then why do you always tell us we lose low end torque from losing backpressure?
I don't tell you that. I quote a recent article (which I stopped quoting after the umptamillionth time) that said you may loose 3% torque while gaining 2.5%HP based on the figured provided by the source. I don't agree that all applications loose torque. I find it quite frankly, to be a shallow ended attempt at other manufacturers to misnomer flowmasters name in the order of sales. Who was first to reinvent the exhaust revolution? Flowmaster. Who used to be a cheap off the shelf muffler at your local parts store? Magnaflow. It does get tit for tat very quickly, but I can tell you that through experience I have never had a negative from my flowmasters, and the one time I did use magnaflow, it was beyond negative. To each his own though

Old 09-18-2006, 12:08 AM
Navi buddy I'm on the Flowmaster side... I was quoting Stealth in his post...

Old 09-18-2006, 03:06 AM
I loved the sound of my flowmaster 40 series on my Dakota 4.7l. I had SIDO and it sounded great. With my new truck I will probably go Magnaflow unless I really don't like the sound. I don't want to lose any torque what so ever. I also doubt that anyone else will either. When you drive a truck that weighs around 6000 lbs, you shouldn't want to lose any torque either. It seems weird to me that some people can't feel a loss of 10 lb feet of torque but somehow claim to feel a HP/TQ increase from a different air filter like a K&N. To each his own.

Old 09-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Ill put my .02 in on this. I had both flows and maggie on my 02 never really did see a difference in them except for the rust. Here Jerzy they use a butt load of road salt, my flows lasted 2 years till the muffler rotted off. The flows did sound better than the maggie, as for the performance loss or gain ? didnt really look most of my drivin is highway. I eventually put a flow 40 on due to the maggie being tame on the sound. Now to do my 06 still in the air as to what im gonna put on!!!

Quick Reply: magnaflow vs flowmaster