2004 - 2008 F-150

Evolution problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 07:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evolution problem

I have an 08 stx 4.6l with the Edge Evolution. When I would drive down my street from my house to the light at the end and make the turn, my truck would bog down and run like crap. I would pull over asap and look up the code through the Edge and it told me that it was an internal throttle control module problem or something like that. I don't remember the exact words. I always programmed it back to stock at that time and have no problems driving it in stock mode, other than the lack of fun. I am thinking that it happens the most when the weather is cold out and my truck isn't up to temperature yet because I just left my house. I also had this problem back when I had my K&N intake installed and just got the Edge. Any ideas what this code is telling me and is something wrong with my truck now? Also if I upgraded, would a Gryphon programmer not give me this problem?

Old 01-24-2010, 08:01 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkShadowSTX
I have an 08 stx 4.6l with the Edge Evolution. When I would drive down my street from my house to the light at the end and make the turn, my truck would bog down and run like crap. I would pull over asap and look up the code through the Edge and it told me that it was an internal throttle control module problem or something like that. I don't remember the exact words. I always programmed it back to stock at that time and have no problems driving it in stock mode, other than the lack of fun. I am thinking that it happens the most when the weather is cold out and my truck isn't up to temperature yet because I just left my house. I also had this problem back when I had my K&N intake installed and just got the Edge. Any ideas what this code is telling me and is something wrong with my truck now? Also if I upgraded, would a Gryphon programmer not give me this problem?
Wrong forum ...

Why dont you write these things down??? Difficult to help without exact codes. It's like going to the doc saying " I hurt"

Try Contact Edge Support - you paid for it

Perhaps you need a tune tevision update - from them. Did you check for one online?

All of that is in the manual....

Waiting for the code .....

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-24-2010 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:14 AM
I just remembered where I wrote it all down at. The code said P061F Internal Control Module Throttle Actuator Controller Performance. I'm new to the site and figured I would start asking here because I have searched about this code before and people have said that Edge doesn't help that much, all they tell you is to update. I have checked for updates 3 or 4 times and it tells me there are no updates.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:20 AM
New throttle body.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:23 AM
Ok.

Failsafe Mode...

Does not do it stock correct - confirm this first by driving it for a while.

If not, then yer TB/ETC hardware is probably fine ( I suppose you could try to clean it anyway), and there may be a marginal tune incompatability with your strategy under certain conditions.

A custom tune may address this - but do not depend upon tuning to fix a legitimate mechanical/electrical issue.

Plug that code into this site's advanced search engine & start reading - that's yer homework fer today

Aww cap - here's just one of many ===>https://www.f150online.com/forums/ch...de-w-edge.html

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-24-2010 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by Impact9
New throttle body.
x2 i had the same code awhile back. ended up at the dealership with a new throttle body

Old 01-24-2010, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by DarkShadowSTX
I just remembered where I wrote it all down at. The code said P061F Internal Control Module Throttle Actuator Controller Performance. I'm new to the site and figured I would start asking here because I have searched about this code before and people have said that Edge doesn't help that much, all they tell you is to update. I have checked for updates 3 or 4 times and it tells me there are no updates.
I would strongly suggest you contact Edge. My experiences with them (only one or two times) have been 100% positive. Their customer support is top notch.

I suggest you return to stock, remove the Evolution and connect it to your PC and be sure you have the latest software/firmware by doing an update through the Fusion software. Eliminate this as a possible problem before going any further.

Just my two cents...I don't need change.

Good luck.

Old 01-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by bdholsin
I would strongly suggest you contact Edge. My experiences with them (only one or two times) have been 100% positive. Their customer support is top notch.

I suggest you return to stock, remove the Evolution and connect it to your PC and be sure you have the latest software/firmware by doing an update through the Fusion software. Eliminate this as a possible problem before going any further.

Just my two cents...I don't need change.

Good luck.
^^ X2

Eliminate the tuner variable first. I'd hate for you to R&R that TB if the root cause was actually something else ...

Lots to read ...

Old 01-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Going to leave this one in this forum as it may be more engine related than tuner. if it becomes more of an Edge issue, will move it to the Chips and tuner forum. Thanks

Old 01-24-2010, 01:40 PM
Another thing that has also happened was where the odometer is, 2 different times after startup it would say trans fault. I then shut off the truck and waited a minute or so, restarted and the message went away. I didn't have to change the programming level so I don't think that was my tuner but I have no idea. Anybody come across that before?

Old 01-24-2010, 02:27 PM
To me it is starting to sound more and more like a PCM communication issue. Try disconnecting the three connectors and blowing on them to clear out any potential debris. You do this by lifting the grey lever on each connector at the PCM (located on the passenger side firewall) and then pulling back, CAREFULLY, on the connector. Don't forget...DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY FIRST!!!! Just wanted to be clear on that. Let's eliminate that possibility as well. I'm not saying it IS a PCM issue but go ahead and spend the 5 minutes doing this and get that out of the picture.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:05 AM
Just heard back from Edge about the P061F code. They said to go to the dealer because there is a TSB for the codes and that the dealer has a PCM update that would resolve that. What will that do to me as far as using my Edge after they update the PCM and what would the dealer charge me to do this? My truck is under warranty so would it be covered????

Old 01-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Make sure you are returned to stock before you go to the dealer. Not sure what the dealer will say, but have them check it out. Normally, they will reflash underwarranty, mine did. Your Edge will work afterward if that HEX is in it's list. If not, you will need to get Edge to update their list of HEX codes.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Make sure you are returned to stock before you go to the dealer. Not sure what the dealer will say, but have them check it out. Normally, they will reflash underwarranty, mine did. Your Edge will work afterward if that HEX is in it's list. If not, you will need to get Edge to update their list of HEX codes.
What should I tell the dealer? I have the day off today and could take it in today but should I tell them I have an Edge or should I just say that I have been getting codes, looked it up online and found out there was a PCM update available?

Old 01-25-2010, 11:41 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
And remove your Edge from the truck after returning to stock. Do this for two reasons:
1. It will keep them unaware that you have a programmer. Some dealers don't endorse programmers.
2. It will prevent anyone with sticky fingers from slipping your Edge in their pocket.

Quick Reply: Evolution problem