Rotor time, slotted

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rotor time, slotted

I just replaced my seized & piston cracked front drivers side caliper today, discovered the back of the rotor was grooved to hell, so its replacement time. I have done a lot of studying on brakes since my initial brake enhancement of Wager TQ Ceramics last fall after buying my new 33s, and I just spend an hour researching ten pages of rotor upgrade threads and I have an even better view on things.

I'll begin by explaining my needs/expectations. OEM replacement should be fine, I do not tow a lot, barely at all anymore. I do not need to stop from 120mph to 0 in 10', I just want to replace with good durable rotors that will enhance braking slightly, and last me until I trade in years down the road. I also HATE seeing my rusty rotors after washing the wheels, dont want to see this if its possible.

Now questions:

From my research, I believe I want the Power Slot rotors, debating on Cryo treatment of not. Any input from those with basic and cryo treatment?

I found them with prices on SummitRacing. $130 for a front disk slot set seems fair, $160 for the Cryo does too if the Cryo treatment is really that much better. Where is the best place to purchase either?

I have the ceramic TQ pads currently, the stock rotors look decently fine, so fine I may only replace the fronts for now with new pads. Are the ceramics good for aftermarket stronger rotors? Or is it the same deal that semi-metallic is better for rotor durability on non towing/racing vehicles? If this is the case, I may consider the semi-metallic TQs this time around, but I have no grooving problems ( or dust! ) with my ceramics. Also considering the Hawk pads since they are spoken and appreciated as much as the TQs. Any good feedback here?

I'm also going to bleed/flush the entire system when I replace the front rotors. Motorcraft fluid? Or is there something people prefer more?

So my plan is Power Slots (cryo? ) and semi-metallic TQs. Or should I re-buy the ceramics for tougher rotors? How about these 'dimpled' slot rotors that look pretty, do they hurt the pads any?

Feedback for other rotors is welcome, durability against salt, rusting, and warping is what i'm after. Do not suggest any drilled rotors to me because I do not need them, just dimpled if anything.

Darren.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:28 AM

So not one person has any word of advice, or experience? Come on I know there are a lot of people on here with these rotors. Hopefully the low replies are from holiday celebration

Old 05-31-2010, 08:54 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, you know my opinion on the subject.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by AAK625
Well, you know my opinion on the subject.
Yep, and I greatly appreciated your feedback .

Old 05-31-2010, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think you know my opinion, too.

I know you really like the ceramics for lack of brake dust, so here's a theory for you: If cryo treating is not snake oil and does provide better thermal hardening / resistance to the rotors, they may be able to handle ceramic pads better. Then again, I don't really know enough about cryo treating to say for sure, so you'd be a guinea pig if you wanted to try it out.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:28 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think anyones ignoring your post, I just don't think there's been a lot of talk about cryo around here. As for Power Slot rotors, they have a great rep and don't think you can go wring with them. The whiole slotted and cross drilled, and any other rotor debate has been discussed many times with varying opinions...search around a bit.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:53 PM

My stock brakes had about 25k on them before i replaced them.

The rotors were rusty, pads threw out so much dust i was cleaning my wheels atleast once or twice a week and the brakes squeaked and squeeled terribly it was driving me nuts.

A few members recommend power slots and hawk pads. they didnt have the cyro at the time, so i went with the regular powerslots.

after i installed the pads and rotors i noticed the braking distance improved, less brake dust, ( i clean my wheels every few weeks now) and just a better overall feel in the brakes.

When they need to be replaced I def will be going with power slots again.

Trending Topics

Old 05-31-2010, 05:07 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
i dont trust cross drilled.
Dimpled rotors really dont do a whole lot, other then look good

I only use slotted rotors.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Galaxy
I don't think anyones ignoring your post, I just don't think there's been a lot of talk about cryo around here. As for Power Slot rotors, they have a great rep and don't think you can go wring with them. The whiole slotted and cross drilled, and any other rotor debate has been discussed many times with varying opinions...search around a bit.
I've done tons of research on numerous forums, just had a couple of durability report questions. Haven't heard too many. Since I have salty winters I have a fear of them rusting up like stock does. Thanks for your posting. So far I do believe I will try the Cryo treated rotors.

Originally Posted by IDNC76
My stock brakes had about 25k on them before i replaced them.

The rotors were rusty, pads threw out so much dust i was cleaning my wheels atleast once or twice a week and the brakes squeaked and squeeled terribly it was driving me nuts.

A few members recommend power slots and hawk pads. they didnt have the cyro at the time, so i went with the regular powerslots.

after i installed the pads and rotors i noticed the braking distance improved, less brake dust, ( i clean my wheels every few weeks now) and just a better overall feel in the brakes.

When they need to be replaced I def will be going with power slots again.
Thanks for your post man! Since you commute in the same salty winter as I do, how is the finish on them since your install of the basic Power Slots? Do they rust up after getting wet like stock steel does? Has the paint diminished and flaked off them?

Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw

What is your opinion on dimpled rotors effect on pads? Do you think they would cheese grade against the pads similar to how it is possible with drilled? Or are the drilling dimples edges well enough to be smooth as deep as they go?

Last edited by DarrenWS6; 05-31-2010 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by Patman03SprCrw

Why don't you trust cross drilled?

Old 05-31-2010, 10:55 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by kp02-150
Why don't you trust cross drilled?
Cross-drilled has the tendency to crack outwards from the holes if it's not a top quality item. I probably wouldn't worry too much about cross drilling from someone like Baer or Brembo...but that'd be about it.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
Thanks for your post man! Since you commute in the same salty winter as I do, how is the finish on them since your install of the basic Power Slots? Do they rust up after getting wet like stock steel does? Has the paint diminished and flaked off them?
they have abit of surface rust on them, but nothing like the stock ones did. i ll try and snap a pic for you tmr.

If you have the extra doh to spend i would give the cyro's a try

Old 05-31-2010, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by IDNC76
they have abit of surface rust on them, but nothing like the stock ones did. i ll try and snap a pic for you tmr.

If you have the extra doh to spend i would give the cyro's a try
I think I will go for the Cryo's, will need a couple paychecks to divide up the cash though, $465.16 for them all around from RockAuto. $235.18 for fronts only.

Still debating the ceramic pads with Cryos, or just get the semi-metallics.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey, hey...

I just put the Power Slot Cryo Rotors on the front of my truck.

I've learned, (and I am still trying to figure a few things out) so maybe you can avoid the same mistakes that I made.

First off, my experiences are with my RWD so for you it may be different, I honestly don't know.

On the positive side...

Pre-Installation: See the hubs

Is this stock, for the 4WD guys?

Final Product

Overall, I'll much happier once the Pulsation issue is resolved. While I do notice an increase in performance, I feel as though for as much money as I've spent on this project I wish everything was working smoothly.

I hope that this helps you avoid some problems that I've had.

Good luck with the project mate!

Edit: Forgot to mention that the Hawk Pads are ceramic.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:48 AM

Thanks for your posting Animated! Yeah 2wds have the bearings in the front rotors. 4wds are much easier to work with. Nice work, love the calipers too

Quick Reply: Rotor time, slotted