New Brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 06:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Brakes?

Ok so i have been having some issues with my brakes.
About 30% of the time when i brake, my ABS goes off.
I thought this was weird so i went to the shop and we pulled the codes and saw that the Front Right ABS sensor was messed up so i just replaced it.
Also when i was in there they told me that i will need to replace my rotors soon (I have 120k miles).

What else could be causing my ABS issues?
Do I really need new rotors? Or are they jerking my chain?

If I do need new rotors, should i go aftermarket? I was looking at the ford ones and it looks like id have to spend 1200 plus labor to get it done with OEM parts.

I assume there are better brakes out there and if im going to spend this kind of money i want to make sure that it last me a long time.

Any advice?

Old 12-25-2009, 06:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im guessing you dont want to do the brakes yourself..

im not sure about rotor brands but im pretty sure you can get drilled/slotted rotors for cheaper than OEM

i would use wagner thermo quiet brake pads..thats what im gonna get when mine are due.

ABS light..a number of things could set it off..the most common is a bad wheel speed sensor from what ive seen

and yes you MAY need rotors at 120k im at 147k and im not sure if the rotors have ever been changed but i know they are getting thin

there is a way to see if the rotor is to thin..on the rotor it will say the minimum thickness..take that and grab a micrometer and check the rotor..then convert that over to (millimeters i believe?? maybe centimeters) and there ya have it

brakes are pretty easy..patman did a write up on his truck..its probably the same..i havent dont brakes on a NBS truck so im not much help there

Old 12-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Well i dont really want to do the work myself, but if it will save me a substantial amount of money, then i probably will do it myself.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:23 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
brakes arent really THAT hard..but yea im sure it will save you a LOT

at the shop i work at we charge $130 to change pads (130 for front 130 for back) and bleed them and grease the pins and all that..most of the time we charge around 100..we get the pads for about 30 dollars or so

Old 12-26-2009, 08:59 PM
If you can hold and turn a wrench, you should do your brakes. I found that Bob from Brakewarehouse.com is great. I got a great set of silent scorched pads and corrosion free calipers with drilled and slotted rotors.

I would not get drilled and slotted rotor as I did. I does not work any better and just cost more. Mabye slotted is good enough, but smooth regular good quality rotors are just as good as stock.

There is a great thread in the how to that explains a brake job done proper.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:12 AM
$1200 for parts!?!?!? maybe im missing something but it was like $75 a piece if i remember correctly for the oem front rotors for my 98 f150. i know for a fact i got some aftermarket rotors for under $300 (thats the price of 2 rotors + a $25 pair of s m pads) i would shop around for some better prices. or maybe they're just expensive for the NBS, well, newer than my truck. am i just missing something or is that price really high?

good luck with your brakes. and i looked through the how to for the NBS a while back and its a piece of cake. i did it before on my friend's altima which is almost the same and it was a piece of cake. anyways, good luck whether you do it yourself or pay to get it done.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:46 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
$1200 is about right for a dealer or a pricey shop. You can do them yourself for less than $400. Most aftermarket rptprs are better than the OEM and there is no reason to get slotted and you do not want drilled usless you do a lot of hard mountain braking and towing. The Wagner Thermoquiets are great pads.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:17 AM
what exactly do you mean by when you apply the brakes the ABS goes off? do you mean the light comes on or do you mean the ABS system itself starts pulsing the brakes?

Old 12-27-2009, 03:17 AM
you can get a pair of Baer Decela-rotors (cross-drilled and slotted) for $274 and wagner thermo quiet pads for 49.99 at O'Reilly Auto Parts... 324 to do your brakes yourself with the best quality parts vs 1200 for pretty much standard oem parts.

You can also buy the cheap stuff for 102 for rotors and 19 brake pads.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:42 AM
Your rotors can cause the ABS issue... If the sensor ring on the back side of the rotor is badly rusted, it can confuse the ABS.
You could pull the rotors and check them but the fact that you have 100 and something on them, get a set at Napa, Advance...ect. I did my front ones in the rain in less than 20 minutes per side. Get a dead blow hammer and a breaker bar the loosen some of the fasteners.

Quick Reply: New Brakes?