Polished wheels in winter.. what do you think..

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polished wheels in winter.. what do you think..

Heres my dilemma. I have eagle alloys polished wheels, with newer pro comp xterrains. Should I run these in winter. Or should I spend the money and get wheels and tires to use in the winter.. What do you think?? worth the shot, or am I just being stupid..?

Old 11-05-2009, 09:20 PM
I have chrome wheels that I have run for 4 years now without any problem. I think polished wheels would hold up fine Boyd

Old 11-05-2009, 09:20 PM
if u get the salt of as soon as you can. if you dont have the stockers i would just run them and keep them clean and put wax on them. i too have eagle alloys and they been in a few snow storms. i try to put my stock wheels back on though

Old 11-05-2009, 09:39 PM
Last year when winter came early I still had my wheels on and they didn't fare that well. After about 6 weeks in the salt they had sustained permanent damage. Granted my wheels may not be top of the line but still. IMO, I'd get a winter setup.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:16 PM
I dont know about washing everytime. Any wheel washed or not in winter around here in ny is virtually covered all winter in some sort of salt. I mean I wash my truck weekly in winter but salt salt and more salt is the modo here. I travel north every weekend to ride so thats also making the salt issues worse.. Maybe I better do something else for winter..

Old 11-06-2009, 01:00 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With chrome polished, keep a couple wax layers on them and shoot them with the pressure washer a couple times a week if possible, or atleast weekly. I'd offer you my OEM 17s but they have bad tires that I was actually waiting to burn off, and im actually waiting to see what damage may happen to them by spring time incase I need to have them repainted.

Try looking for a set of take-offs for $600 - $800.

Old 11-06-2009, 06:31 AM
What do you guys run for snow tires on stock rims???

Old 11-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by eastern
What do you guys run for snow tires on stock rims???
I ran toyo m/t' the last two winters. They were sic in the snow and ice!

Old 11-06-2009, 11:29 AM
Originally Posted by DarrenWS6
With chrome polished, keep a couple wax layers on them and shoot them with the pressure washer a couple times a week if possible, or atleast weekly. I'd offer you my OEM 17s but they have bad tires that I was actually waiting to burn off, and im actually waiting to see what damage may happen to them by spring time incase I need to have them repainted.

Try looking for a set of take-offs for $600 - $800.
I just talked to a guy here that has a jeep with the same wheels as me. He has had them on for 4 winters here and they look brand new. He said he just polishes them with mothers powerball and polish in the begining, middle and end of winter and washes regualarly, which I do, so maybe I'll go for it with your advice and his, lol!
I really just want stock 17" wheels so I can buy tires for them myself but I cant find any for a reasonable price.. My new wheels are 17" so I figure at least I could switch tires back and forth if I wanted to. I have stock 18" fx4s but obviously if I get tires for them they are stuck with them, lol!

Old 11-06-2009, 11:38 AM
I just have to say hats off to you guys that swap wheels and all for winter. I could never own wheels for a truck that can't be used in the winter time. There sure are some nice aftermarket wheels out there, but they need to design them for all season use!

Old 11-06-2009, 11:57 AM
Originally Posted by ChrisT
I just have to say hats off to you guys that swap wheels and all for winter. I could never own wheels for a truck that can't be used in the winter time. There sure are some nice aftermarket wheels out there, but they need to design them for all season use!
I bought mine used so I don't have big dough into, lol! I still like to keep em looking good though. I agree about wheels for all seasons too, kinda stupid they way they are made..

Old 11-06-2009, 07:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would get a set of winter wheels, I'm from New England..I see first hand how the wheels don't hold up too well in the long winters

Old 11-06-2009, 11:37 PM
Ok, so I need to find stock 17" ford rims... anyone selling???

Old 11-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Winter tires

Originally Posted by ChrisT
I have winter rims and tires for my trucks. Put the summer rims and tires away and put on the winters. When you live in the rust belt, you need all the help you can. Additionally, you don't risk having the bead damaged on the tires when switching from one to the other. You also don't have your good rims bathed in slush and salt all the time.

I have 3 vehicles with alloys and none get run in the winter. I have steels and winter treads for all of them.

My 2 cents

Paul

Old 11-08-2009, 10:01 PM
I bought some FX4 rims off a 05 F150 (17") to run on my 09 F150 XLT for winter rims, turns out that they rub on the caliper just slightly, wondering if I should just let them wear (alloy softer than the cast so the rim will wear)

Quick Reply: Polished wheels in winter.. what do you think..