Brake Life Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 09:34 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Brake Life Question

I'm rolling 27k on my F150, and when I had my state inspection, at Ford, they tech who inspected it told me that I had 90% pad left on my brakes. Now my question is... do brake pads go bad?

I want to change the rotors and pads next year, but I can't see throwing away good parts, because I'd assume at that wear rate, I'd be at roughly 75% of the pad left. The brakes last forever it seems like.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The pads wear out eventually. When I traded in my '04 it had 71,000 miles and I still had the original front pads and had just replaced the rear pads at about 68,000 miles.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Originally Posted by JRVicHammer
The pads wear out eventually. When I traded in my '04 it had 71,000 miles and I still had the original front pads and had just replaced the rear pads at about 68,000 miles.
That's not bad. Maybe I won't do them next year then. The truck stops fine... it's just that I thought maybe I should change them. Cool!

Old 05-27-2009, 01:49 AM
My superduty had 95k on it when I traded it. I heard a grinding noise so I went and bought some pads because I figured they were bad. I pulled the tire off and I still had almost 1/4" of pad left. Returned the pads and the grind went away. Usually the front wears faster than the rear. In my experiece anyway.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:02 AM
If you can help it don't replace your brakes until you have to. It seems to me that once you do they never last as long as the factory setup.

Nate

Old 05-27-2009, 10:59 AM
I will spend the $50 to get these puppies to stop dusting so bad. I will throw out the OEM pads with pleasure even though they have a bunch of life left in them.

Old 05-27-2009, 11:04 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by BigNate
If you can help it don't replace your brakes until you have to. It seems to me that once you do they never last as long as the factory setup.

Nate
Not sure what you are putting on them, but the factory pads on a Screw are lucky to make 30,000 according to most members. I changed to Wagner Thermoquiets at 11,000 and have 75,000 on them. I expect to get close to 100,000.

Manual, as long as you have pad, they are good. They do not deteriorate with time under normal usage.

Old 06-01-2009, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by Bluejay
Not sure what you are putting on them, but the factory pads on a Screw are lucky to make 30,000 according to most members. I changed to Wagner Thermoquiets at 11,000 and have 75,000 on them. I expect to get close to 100,000.

Manual, as long as you have pad, they are good. They do not deteriorate with time under normal usage.
Pads are 100% application dependent. Some people may get 30k out of the stockers some may get more. It all depends on how you drive. If the stock pads are lasting that long for most people then they are. I just want to point out the fact that if you still have 75% brake life left why swap.

I have an 09 screw myself. I can hope to get 30 k out of them but I do 99% city driving with my car which is known to be very hard on pads. (do to the fact that you are doing a lot of starting and stopping and most of the time you never get the pads up to a good temp) I also have a Yukon Denali XL that has just under 60k on it with the stock pads. So ford and chevy must run different setups when it come to pads and rotors. I am going to look into this a bit more to find the best options for myself.

Nate

Old 06-01-2009, 02:34 PM
Not sure why you would even keep the stock pads on the truck.... First thing I did after buying my truck was buy brand new aftermarket pads to get rid of the eyesore brake dust covered front wheels.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:43 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by BigNate
Pads are 100% application dependent. Some people may get 30k out of the stockers some may get more. It all depends on how you drive. If the stock pads are lasting that long for most people then they are. I just want to point out the fact that if you still have 75% brake life left why swap.

I have an 09 screw myself. I can hope to get 30 k out of them but I do 99% city driving with my car which is known to be very hard on pads. (do to the fact that you are doing a lot of starting and stopping and most of the time you never get the pads up to a good temp) I also have a Yukon Denali XL that has just under 60k on it with the stock pads. So ford and chevy must run different setups when it come to pads and rotors. I am going to look into this a bit more to find the best options for myself.

Nate

As you are seeing here, many of us changed very early to eliminate the brake dust. I was not going to put up with that when $48 and an hour of labor would fix it. Had nothing to do with how long they would wear. However, several members have said they were getting around 30,000 out of the originals. Of course, it's true that there is a huge difference if you are driving in a congested city or on the highway.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Just depends on where you live. If you live in flat areas with no hills then the pads will last a very very long time. If you live where I live in the mountains and I can't go anywhere without pulling hills and going down hills then pads don't last long at all. I know on my cars I have to change them about every year to two years no doubt my truck I don't drive many miles on it so it lasts a little longer but when I did drive it alot every other year as well with it.

Same goes for fuel economy. Where I live 9-10MPG is what I average with my 97 F150 but when I goto Indy or down to FL where it's flat I get 14-15mpg because of no hills.

Hills kill both fuel and brake pads.

Lorenzo

Old 06-03-2009, 12:59 AM
It seems like everyone has a different experience when it comes to brakes, and I guess it mostly has to do with your driving style/enviroment. I just had to replace my brakes at 51,000 miles. My rear pads and rotors were shot and only my front pads were bad so i left the front rotors. I purchased the truck with 20,000 miles on it so I'd assume the front rotors are stock but weren't too bad at 51,000 so I left them. I guess it all depends... My thinking is spend as little cash as possible lol.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:31 PM
I've got 50k on my stock pads. Haven't looked at them, but they seem fine. However, I just bought new wheels and would love to avoid the nasty break dust if possible. What do you guys recommend for pads??

Quick Reply: Brake Life Question