Ceramic, carbon metallic, or reg. semi-metallics?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 10:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ceramic, carbon metallic, or reg. semi-metallics?

I am buying new front pads for my 01 4x Screw. From what I remember reading, I think the general concensus was ceramics were great for breaking performance and dust, but wore faster.

So, which brakes should I use? Ceramics, Carbon Fiber Metallics, or just good semi-metallics?

Thanx!

Old 07-02-2005, 12:52 PM
Old 07-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Thanx for the link. I've done searches and read that post before. I know that Hawks and EBCs are great brakes. But, I don't recall seeing too many comments regarding carbon based pads.

I understand that ceramics give better braking and less dust than standard semi-metallics, but they just wear faster. I don't mind the faster wear, I just want good brakes.

So, I was just hoping that someone who's had experience with the carbon ones would say how they compare to either the ceramics or semi-metallics.

Wagner ThermoQuiets or Duralast Golds would be good choices for less expensive, lifetime semi's where Hawks and EBCs are the way to go for more money.

I also recall seeing in another thread where people had reported that the OEM pads took an excessive amount of time to break in and performed poorly due to that.

But thanx!

Old 07-03-2005, 10:57 PM
Actually "Performance Friction" carbon's are natorious for gliding before they are completely broken in.

Gliding...Appling brakes as hard as you want at low speed and the vehicle still moves.

Carbon's have lots of black brake dust too.
True ceramics will have no dust. They will also out last your truck. Your rotors on the other hand become the wear item.

The best luck I've had with Ford truck brakes is the OEM stuff.

Old 07-06-2005, 09:49 PM
I have read every brake thread posted in the last month. It has just confused me more about which type of brakes to get.

I agree that OEMs are good, but for $119.17, thats a lot of money for semi-metallic pads... at least the dealer told me they were semis.

I thought ceramics provided better braking and less dust, but there were comments made that they can wear the rotors faster.

Damn, never thought brakes would be such a difficult choice. Here are some pricing I got.

Ford OEM - $119
AC Delco DuraStop - $52
Bendix Ceramic - $94
Bendix MetLok - $87
Bendix TitaniuMetallic - $73
Bosch Premium SemiMetallics - $55
Bosch Ceramics - $55
Duralast Gold - $42
EBC 6000 - $60
EBC 7000 - $100
Hawk HPS – $63
Hawk LTS - $71
Hawk Performance Ceramic - $71
Morse Ceramics - $49
Performance Friction Carbon Metallic - $60
Satisfied Pro OEM - $41
Satisfied Pro Ceramics - $55
Raybestos PG Plus - $46
Raybestos QuietStop Ceramic - $60
Wagner QuickStop - $28
Wagner ThermoQuiet - $47

...HMMFFFFFF........

Last edited by tmanxx; 07-08-2005 at 07:39 PM.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:19 AM
I have the Duralast Gold semi-metallic pads and they brake awesome. Even with the slightly warped front rotors I have. But I'm getting the rotors turned to fix the problem soon. There is very little brake dust that has accumulated during the 500 or 600 miles I've put on them so far.

Old 07-07-2005, 03:14 PM
tmanxx - nice list you've compiled. I'm having the same brain drain issues selecting an alternative tothe OEM dust-master pads. They stop fine, but are much harder on the rotor than i'd like and dust way too much!!!

The brakes on the new 05 super duty 250 are excellent by comparison: no dust, no rotor wear. Ford advertised that they were updated materials, can we get the same for the 150?

With all the added Troyer performace I'm adding, i'll need all the dust-free stopping power my 05 can get!

Old 07-07-2005, 10:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had ceramic pads put in the dump truck 1800 miles ago with the rotors refaced..to this day..no change in the pedal and no dust whatsoever...i love 'em..and i have a 15.500 lb g.v.w. and use it every so often
...zap!

Old 07-08-2005, 10:36 AM
I've had my EBC 6000's since December and am very satisfied with them.

-Craig

Old 07-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't want carbon pads, reason being is they have to really get hot to work well. When cold they are less effective.That's why they are used for race conditons, specifically in road race.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Well, I just got a coupon in the mail today from Ford to have my local dealer replace my pads with Motorcraft ones for $99.95 + tax. And if they do them, I will take em back if they squeak

Now, if these are the OEM brakes, that is a heck of a deal since when I called the parts department, they said it would be $120 + tax for the Ford brakes.

I am almost positive that my rotors wont need to be turned. If they do, I will probably just pick up some new, slotted ones. I know that it is real easy to replace the front pads myself. I got an impact wrench and jack just waiting for me to get the pads...

Damnit! Why does finding great brakes for a great price that difficult.

And thanx for the info KevinMac. Did not know that about carbon ones, so scratch anything carbon off my list

Last edited by tmanxx; 07-08-2005 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-07-2022, 02:51 PM
Smile Carbon, Semi-Metallic, Ceramic, Brake Pads

-- Carbon pads are designed for racing. They work best under high temps. Perform poorly when cold .... Semi-Metallic are designed for heavy loads. They are long lasting heavy duty pads, that perform well at all times .... Ceramic are designed for low maintenance. They create little brake dust and don't warp the rotors .... They all have pluses and minuses, but best to pick the pad that matches your driving. It's really just that Simple.

Old 05-07-2022, 03:54 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
As long as we are bringing a 17 year old thread back from the dead, I got 115k miles out of Centric ceramics on the front of my 03. No dust, no rotor warping, no excessive rotor wear.

Quick Reply: Ceramic, carbon metallic, or reg. semi-metallics?