BG 44K and Techron concerns

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question BG 44K and Techron concerns

I've read a couple 'ping' threads recently, and some folks mentioned using BG 44K and/or Chevron Techron gas to clean out a little carbon from the intake and combustion chambers.

What effect does this 'cleaning' have on the downstream components like the cats and the EGR system? Is it really worth it if I have to replace a cat or dismantle and clean the EGR system after using these products? Also, I'm guessing that these products will only do a limited clean-up of the carbon, so won't I eventually have to remove the heads and clean them?

I'm probably going to have engine work done anyway, but I wanted more info on these products, and I'd also like to stir the turds a little and see some discussion on fuel additives and their effects.

Flame away, got my asbestos suit on!

Old 10-02-2002, 10:45 PM
Tom,

Good question. I've heard many opinions about "additives". I don't have any friends or relatives who are ASE certified mechanics but a few who have worked on cars for years.

From my own experiance with a 351 ci Ford motor I'd have to say stay away from additives.

I had an '89 with a 351 EFI in it. At about 45,000 miles I put some "Slick 50" in it. I didn't get any improvment in either MPG or performance. Two years or so later it developed small oil leaks from the valve cover gaskets. Later when the valve cover gaskets were leaking like crazy I had them replaced. I was told by my mechanic that the oil pan gasket was also leaking.(very expensive to fix as a major crossbar prevents removal of the oil pan) Also the water pump was leaking.

At this point I spoke to the people I knew who know about cars and they all said never never use any chemical additives in your car not to your oil not to your gas not to your radiator. They are ALL sh*t and will harm your engine in the long run.

Needless to say I haven't put any additives in my newer vehicle. But I'd like to hear other opinions.

Bill

Old 10-03-2002, 07:36 AM
AB
Hi,
I am not an expert; just want to give my 2 cents here…

First of, I think it's a "personal choice" matter sort of thing.
I do try not to pour anything in to the gas tank with no reason but I used Techron in my both cars (F-150 and Dodge Caravan), Berryman B12 Fuel system cleaner (don't remember exact name but if you search you'll find it), and at the moment I am going through RxP Gas Kicker thing.
I was skeptical at the beginning too…
But Techron completely eliminated idle hesitation on the Dodge (100000mils) and eliminated slight pinging I had on F-150 and increased MPG slightly (1-1.5 mpg) again 80000 mils. I made around 20000 mils after I poured it in. No problems what so ever.
Of course, slight pinging was back in around 10000 mils so I added Berryman B12 thing. I feel like it works even better – the same results but more noticeable, you know… 10000 mils after that – no problems.
I cannot tell you the results for RxP yet, it's still in the tank…but it feels like I have 93 gas though I have 87.
Maybe I am just lucky… which is unusual for me…
Just my 2 cents…

Last thing… no offence though but…
Bill, don't you think that the leakage after two years (!) after application could be because of something else???

Alex.

Old 10-03-2002, 07:39 AM
AB
small addition

Sorry, forgot to mention...
I think that there are "good" additives and "bad" additives. And it's up to you what to use...
Personally I would never put any Slick in... because I have not heard anything about it...
Alex.

Old 10-03-2002, 10:48 AM
article

Here is an informative article on oil additives through ford-truck.com:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/articles/oil-additives.php

Old 10-03-2002, 01:36 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In general, I'd agree we'd all be best to stay away from 'additives' however obviously that is a relative term as many 'additives' are put into your gas and oil from the manufacture on a regular basis. Personally, I would never under any circumstances add any aftermarket additives to my oil. From everything I've read over the last couple years though, Chevron Techron (and possibly other fuel injection cleaners) do not cause any problems at all, and are effective at fulfilling there intended purpose. Chevron Techron is the only additive I've ever used in my truck, and I've never noticed any problems related to it... It has been recommended to use Chevron Techron right before an oil change though since your oil will have a tendacy to get pretty dirty after the Techron's use due to the carbon being cleaned out of your engine. Other than that, I probably would not even consider useing any other additives for my truck for anything else.

Last edited by STX/98; 10-03-2002 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-03-2002, 04:04 PM
Fuel additives and Oil additives are two completely different topics. Personaly, oil additives are a waste of time and can cause more harm than good. The oil manufacutrers blend their oils with the proper additives to do their job and using an additive can throw off the chemical balance. Oil additives stay in the engine until the oil is drained, which can be 3,000 miles or more.

On the other hand, fuel additives are burned through the combustion of the engine, thus they are rapidly depleted. Because of this they can offer some benefits. The benefits of a good fuel additive (Techron being one of the best) is that it can help keep the fuel passages and injectors from becoming slightly clogged, reduce varnish build up and also helps in removing some of the carbon buildup that can occur over time. It can be especially beneficial if you use an unbranded fuel that may not have the additive package a Chevron or other major gas producer puts into their gasolines. Even if you are youusing a quality gasoline, I would still recommend a can of Techron yearly.

Old 10-03-2002, 11:28 PM
Navi Man,

I've been reluctant to put staight Techron in my tank because I use nothing but Chevron gas. If I mix the Chevron 91 octane gas w/ Techron additive, will this be overkill? How effective is the Techron treatment on Carbon build up?

Thanks.

Old 10-03-2002, 11:46 PM
mf150,

Using the Techron additive won't hurt anything and it's not a bad practice to use it once a year along with a good quality gas such as Chevron. The Chevron tech reps I have spoken to have suggested this more as a preventative maintenance procedure. The Chevron gasoline already has a techron type additive in it, but the Techron in the bottle is a heavier duty concentrate.

As far as carbon build up, I have never seen any actual test results, but just on the propaganda that passes my desk from Chevron. It's definitely not a cure all product, but it will help. Another product that I have heard some good results about is Heartland Fuel additive cleaner. It's a little more difficult to find though. A quicklube that I use to sell Chevron oil to carries it and they swear by it.

Last edited by Navi Man; 10-04-2002 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-04-2002, 02:31 AM
I too am a non-believer of 99% on the market.
As for the fuel system, I know the shevles at work are stocked with this crap and most people do not know the difference in the $1.99 bottle of crap and the $10 stuff like Techron. The benefits like you stated are limited and nothing in a bottle is going to fix mechanical problems. With that being said the only thing I've used that helped was Techron Heard good things about the Lucas upper cylinder lubricant and injector cleaner and good on the RXP.
Todays good oils should do their job in a properly operating vehicle with no additives needed if proper service is involved. If you change your oil every 3-5K with the better stuff and use a good filter that's all you should need. In a few cases where I know the customers has issues I might recommend an additve to stop an oil leak or quiet a rattle but I usully try to tell them it's not a cure-all and only a temporary fix. The best oil additve I recommend would the Lucas oil additve. I only recommend it to people who are looking to just make that engine last a little while longer. You know the ones that rattle like a diesel and drip oil everywhere, usually you Chevy V8's. I wouldn't even wish Slick 50 or any additive with PTFE on a Chevy.
Now Pro-blend makes a nice radiator additve that lowers cooling temps. I had a fellow coworker with acurate Sun-pro guages try some and lowered his average temp by a few degrees, not what the bottle said it would, but some. I've heard good things about Redline Water Wetter too.
Pro-blend also offers a trans additive that has produced fair results in more than one slipping tranny for a few customers. I've had customers buy the Lucas trans stuff to and rave on the results but that stuff is so thick I wouldn't put it in mine.
All in all I think in a properly maintained and operated vehicle most of this stuff doesn't have to be used or used very often.

Old 10-04-2002, 03:16 AM
I've used the Redline Water Wetter and it does keep the running temp. a tad bit cooler (maybe 10 degrees). I think the main benifit of running coolant additive besides reduced engine temps. ( correct me if I'm wrong) is electrolysis protection--better protection against corrosion.

Quick Reply: BG 44K and Techron concerns