crankcase breather?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2001, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post crankcase breather?

anyone know where to get a c/c breather filter that will fit the grommet in the driver's side valve cover on my '97 4.6 f-150?

Old 03-26-2001, 08:08 PM
what c/c breather ?

Old 03-26-2001, 08:56 PM
Are you refering to an element that replaces the oil fill cap? Those can be had at Mustangs Unlimited. just remember that it will allow air into the motor that doen't go through the MAF, and therefore is not accounted for when the EEC figures pluse timing.

------------------
2001 F-150 XLT S-CAB 4.6 "the full ride"
96 Taurus GL
93 Kenne-Bell Supercharged Mustang
"Injection is nice, but I perfer being blown!"

[This message has been edited by jstang (edited 03-26-2001).]

Old 03-27-2001, 08:47 AM
no, not the oil filler cap, the opening on the driver's side valve cover--that has a hard plastic tube attached to the intake just in front of the throttle body. i want to eliminate the crankcase fumes being drawn into the intake track by removing the tube and inserting a breather filter into the hole in the valve cover. where can i get a valve cover breather filter?
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jstang:
Are you refering to an element that replaces the oil fill cap? Those can be had at Mustangs Unlimited. just remember that it will allow air into the motor that doen't go through the MAF, and therefore is not accounted for when the EEC figures pluse timing.

</font>

Old 03-27-2001, 11:34 PM
I assume that you are pondering this to alleviate buildup in the T/B and IAC. If you are worried about it just clean them once ina while with a T/B coating-safe cleaner. It will take you all of 5 minutes. AS was posted before, the crankcase is part of the CLOSED system. The 70's are over. Opening it up with a breather will cause all kinds of operating problems. The MAF will not read the air entering the crank case. Basically it is a HUGE vaccuum leak. You are setting yourself up for mileage problems, pinging, poor idle and possible lack of power, just to name a few. Not to mention that the modification you are planning is a violation of FEDERAL EPA law in ALL 50 states, punishable by a $10K fine if you are caught. There is absolutely nothing to gain, and a lot to lose.

Old 04-17-2001, 06:10 PM
Nomopar4me...

I'm a bit confused about what you wrote. The MAF is right after the Air Filter. How will the installation of a valve cover breather, and a boot at the end of the hose that connects to the incoming air from the valve cover cause a vacuum leak. The MAF only senses the air that passes through the air filter. I agree that It wont provide much horsepower, but i'm not sure as to how doing this mod will affect the "CLOSED" system.

I don't at all think that mileage or idle would be affected by this. As long as a boot is put on the intake where the hoses used to be, there shouldn't be a vacuum leak at all.

I'm a frequent visitor to the Moroso motorsports park over in palm beach county, and just about on every modified lightning, mustang, camaro, and other hot rod (including little hondas) I've seen the valve cover breathers. Granted, some are for looks, but most of those guys don't spend a dime on appearance if they could spend a dime on performance.

The only point of having the pcv connected into the intake would be for emissions purposes. It is not a computer measured component in the car.

I'm not trying to bust your chop or anything, its just that i disagree. But by all means, if you have the information to back up your argument, i'm all ears.

I've been wrong thousands of times, and i'll be wrong a few more too.

Nelson
www.performancetruck.cc

Old 04-17-2001, 10:30 PM
I guess I did get a bit vague, so I'll try again.
The PCV is in effect a way for the engine to collect the fumes from the crank case. It causes a slight negative pressure aka, vaccuum to be drawn into the crank case. Basically it does this by using engine vaccuum thru a metered leak (valve). In effect the PCV is drawing air thru it. The fresh air is supplied after the MAF thru the tube to which you were referring, thus it is read by the MAF and calculated into the mix. To see what exactly it can do, pull the PCV valve out of the cover and allow it to run for a bit.
Basically it is a closed circuit, air flows thru the maf, into tube to the crankcase thru the case and thru the PCV valve into the intake.
Hope that makes more sense..
As for the idle and whatnot, you may find it acceptable, however most of the people that I see day to day (soccer moms, old farts) think that their trucks should be as smooth as a Town Car, run like a stang and get the economy of a Festiva!

Old 04-18-2001, 10:01 AM
Ok, maybe i'm a bit slow...

But this is my understanding of the system...

Air enters in through the filter, thru the MAF, thru the a tube, thru the TB, through an intake manifold, thru the head, into the combustion chamber, then back out the head, and out the exhaust.

a bit of the combustion gases slip throught the piston rings, and go into the crankcase. These gases, along with expanding oil fumes due to heat, enter into the intake after the MAF, and back into the combustion chamber in order to get burned up for emissions purposes.

Now, many people think that there is only one tube that allows the leaked gases and the expanded oil fumes to enter into the intake, but there are two. One goes attached before the Throttle, and the other goes attached behind the 90 degree elbow after the throttle.

If a boot is put on both of these holes, and then a breather is placed over the valve covers, and if you still have a vacuum leak, then you have damage to your piston rings. Piston rings create a very good seal, and any gas that passes through them is minimal. The fresh air that passes into the MAF should not be free flown past the piston rings.

If only one of the hoses that connect to the valve cover is removed, and only one boot is put in its place, then you will have a major leak cause you'll still have another hose still connected to the other valve cover, and the engines vacuum will suck air thru that hose, thru the valve cover, thru the crankcase, thru the other valve cover, and then through the hole (or breather).

Ok, let me catch my breath here for a second. My typing skills arent that good.

Quick Reply: crankcase breather?