Bad coil packs

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2002, 06:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Bad coil packs

I have read several other people having problems with coil packs. I have an 02 F-150 Lariat 5.4 with less than 12,000 miles. It has been in the shop no less than 5 times for bad coil packs. It is going back in today after work for the same. Is anyone else having this problem. Is my truck a lemmon or what. After this experience and all the other problems I've had with my 9 month old truck, Im' ready to go Chevy.

Old 06-21-2002, 07:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
BrianD:

I am not a Ford mechanic, however I don't believe the coil packs would be responsible for five (six) trips to the Service Garage.

From what I have been told, a bad coil pack will set a Code that the mechanics can see when diagnosing.

I suggest you find another Ford Dealer to service your truck, or hold your current Dealer's feet to the fire to accurately and correctly diagnose and fix your truck.

Good Luck.

Wilk

Old 06-21-2002, 08:00 PM
sounds like the computer is the real culpret

Old 06-22-2002, 12:15 AM
Ford's coil packs due degrade over time - say 30 to 40k miles. While they don't perform as say a good set of Accel coil packs, something else must be going on here. This may well be inconvenient, but perhaps a different dealer is in order.

Clearly at 12k miles something is wrong.

Do you know if the ecm is generating any codes? What is the truck doing or not doing?

Old 06-23-2002, 04:32 PM
Angry

I here you. I have had my truck in the shop approximately 6 times in the last 2 yearrs. It is a 1997 ford f150 with a 5.4. I am ready to drive it into the lake. I would appreciate it if anyone could find out why the coils keep shorting out. Please let me know if you resolve it. Good Luck !!!!

Old 06-23-2002, 05:02 PM
There has been threads on the heater hose leaking on the #3 and #4 coil packs. You didn't say which ones went bad, but it's a thought.

Old 06-24-2002, 03:26 PM
I am not sure what the comptuer is telling the dealer. I know the first time I took it in, they told me the computer told them it was the coil pack. I can tell they are going out because the engine will start stuttering when it happens. Last Friday, when one had gone out several days before, the truck completely shut down while I was driving down the freeway.

As far as wich one, I think it has been several different ones. The dealer told me about the heater hose issue but said that wasn't the problem. I have never seen a service engine light come on when it happens.

I drove the truck into one dealer when it was having some problems and they told me I was imagining things. I took it back to my normal dealer and they will at least acknowledge the problem. That is the main reason I have stayed with them.

Old 06-24-2002, 03:54 PM
Brian:

Don't go Chevy yet. Which dealer is servicing your truck?

ernie

Old 06-24-2002, 09:49 PM
i,ll bet i can guess...

does it start with an M ?

Old 06-24-2002, 11:18 PM
u r not alone

A man at work bought a used Screw with 4.6 and is having alot of probs with his coils. He has taken his in 4 or 5 times I think for running rough when it is raining. Each time it is coil packs...different coil each time, of course.

I think there has to be a central cause, though. Seems strange for each coil pack to "take turns" going bad....

I wish you luck. Please don't go over to the dark side just yet. give it some time to work out. Chevies are having more probs than us right now, another friend at work has more trouble out of his one chevie than all us Ford guys combined.

Old 06-25-2002, 06:25 AM
Stray thought....When the coil packs were replaced, was anything mentioned about the spark plugs? Maybe they got fouled when the coil packs went bad?

Old 06-27-2002, 06:09 PM
I have been going to Prestige Ford in Garland. I don't really think it is the dealer that is the problem.
The spark plugs have been replaced. Funny thing is they only replace the one that is on the bad coil pack. I always thought you should change all of them at once.
It seems that it happens most often when I am pulling a heavy load behind me. It is not strictly limite to that though.
It doesn't look like I am going to be able to go to Chevy anyway. I am about $7000 upside down on my payments and what I can get for it. I'm stuck.
Anyone here want to buy a slightly used F-150 for way more than market value. lol

Old 06-27-2002, 06:11 PM
I am thinking about putting a Diablo chip on tommorow. Is this going to affect my warranty next time I take the truck into the dealership? I wasn't sure since it is a pre existing condition.

Old 06-27-2002, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by BrianD
I have been going to Prestige Ford in Garland. I don't really think it is the dealer that is the problem.
Prestige Ford is where my truck came from. I looked online in the inventory and found that they had it, and then had North Cities Ford ship it over. Just thought I'd chip in with the N. Dallas folks, seeing as I know absolutely SNOT about coil packs and all of their various ways. Hope you get it figured out man.

P.S. Which Ford dealership that starts with "M" are you talking about? Mid-Cities perhaps?

Quick Reply: Bad coil packs