Article on Best FIPK(AIRAID WON)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2001, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Article on Best FIPK(AIRAID WON)

Got the latest issue of Petersons 4 Wheel and Off Road last night. They did a heads-up dyno test on 7 different aftermarket FIPKs, filters and the Tornado. All test done on Chev/350, three runs on each test and figures at rear wheel, base hp was really low, I think 124hp, don't have article in front of me. Anyway, AIRAID, came out on top, a little over 8hp and 10 ft/lbs. at rear wheel. They didn't do K&N FIPK but did do two of their filters, the filter by itself gave minimal improvement, The filter with open canister(off road only) came in second. Tornado did almost nothing. Good article if you get a chance to read it. They did an article last year on different exhaust systems on same engine mounted on test stand and dyno, Great mag, except they sure seem to pay a lot of attention to GM products and Jeeps.

------------------
98 Nascar Edition, Superchip, Airaid, Flowmaster 70 series, bedliner, in bed tool box, Profile bug deflector and window vents, Class III receiver hitch.

Old 03-06-2001, 09:43 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks for the post from an Ex-Houstonian. That's interesting stuff to read. Now I may have to go buy it.

------------------
2000 EDDIE BAUER EXPEDITION 4x2
-->Come share my Addiction<--

Old 03-06-2001, 09:52 PM
Hey H-town is the best Town in Texas, that is besides College Station. Johnny what else did they say about the Airraid.

Old 03-06-2001, 10:26 PM
Talking

Glad I bought the Airaid.

------------------
98 F-150XL 4x4
Black over Silver
4.2L V-6
Airaid FIPK w/ K&N filter
Ventvisors
Bugflector 2
Emergency Lights and Siren
Wild Spirit Radial DTX Tires 285/75/16

Old 03-07-2001, 09:19 AM
Cool

How could anyone do a comprehensive testing of 7 FIPKs and mysteriously leave the K&N out? Alot of times those magazines do stuff like this. I always wonder if those companies that provide them those free products sponsor the tests and give kick backs for the articles/advertising.

------------------
2000 F-150 XL, RC, LB, 5.4L, 4R70W, 3.55LS,
Class III tow, Payload #3, & Convenience pkgs.,
4-wheel disc/ABS, Chestnut/Parchment 40/60,
Ford bedliner w/Paintsaver & gas/wheel/spare locks,
K&N F.I.P.K. w/Outwears pre-filter, Superchip,
Dynomax ultra-flow welded 3" cat-back w/ 3" Y-pipe,
Hellwig front & rear anti-sway bars, Rancho RS 9000s,
Mobil 1, K&N oil filter.

Old 03-07-2001, 09:37 AM
97,What else did they say? Said it was not street legal and like several of the others it sucks in hot air from under the hood. The tests were done with the hood of the truck up and a big shop fan blowing toward it. The article, like their other articles when they do testing, doesn't really push or endorse any product, they just do the test ans show the results.

And to Max, they didn't leave K&N out. They acknowledged the K&N filter on the Airaid and two of the other systems they tested were K&N products, a staight filter replacement and a K&N off-road open canister system. The old truck they were testing looked to be a mid-80s modle. K&N probably doesn't even make a FIPK to fit it.

Old 03-07-2001, 05:10 PM
Some objective test - when you leave the largest competiter out. I would say that, related to the newer trucks, the test was fairly useless. Huge difference between an 80's truck and a y2k one.

------------------
2000 F150 XLT SuperCab, Short Bed, 4X4, ORP, 5.4L, Auto Trans, 3.55LS, Captains Chairs with power drivers seat, rear slider, class III towing package, remote entry with alarm and just about everything you can get on this truck. Added a Ford bug deflecter, floor mats, a Dynamax Race magnum muffler and 3" mandrel bent pipes, Superchip, K&N FIPK Gen II, Bilstein shocks, Redline Synthetic oil, Kenwood stereo system and an MTX Thunder 204 4 channel amp.

[This message has been edited by Ron Kaltenbach (edited 03-07-2001).]

Old 03-07-2001, 05:15 PM
Whatever.

Old 03-07-2001, 07:25 PM
Question

K&N makes an FIPK for every F-150 back to 1987. They probably sell more FIPKs than all the others combined. They are one of the few who pass CARB certification. They invented the gauze filter and that's why some other systems utilize their filter. The Airaid and K&N have similar HP figures on 97-01 modular engine F-150s. I wasn't trying to knock your post. Magazines, distributors, manufacturers, and websites all compete for business by advertising products. My only point was that I've rarily seen wide spectrum, unadulterated tests in car/truck magazines; they rarily say their sponsors suck.

Quick Reply: Article on Best FIPK(AIRAID WON)