Attn: Neal Ready to swap heads!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2001, 09:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Attn: Neal Ready to swap heads!

Hey, Neal! First, thanx for all your help. I learn more and more each day from reading your posts. Secondly, I'm ready to try and swap my '97 4.6L heads (they have the Windsor code, by the way) for '99 5.4PI heads. I just have a few quick and simple questions.

1. Where did you find heads for $500; the cheapest I've found so far is $700?
2. How can I contact Sean Hyland Motorsports; I would like to have them do the stage3 head work since they are familiar with these heads and what needs to be done?
3. Would I need to use '99 5.4 headers or '97 4.6 headers, or does it matter?

Thanx for all your help!

Old 02-21-2001, 12:16 AM
Hi Elmo!

I've been keeping up with the head swap also and have investigated sources and pricing. I'm currently working on purchasing a set of ported/polished heads from a Lightning. A very good price!!

My local Ford Dealership quoted me today on the 5.4 PI heads. For one head $870.20!! Take a loan out now!

Your best bet is to use the web site parts@fordpartsonline.com and ask for a quote on the heads. I received mine today.
Part # -6049-HA right side, (list price: $531.62, my price: $398.72) Part #2 -6049-JA left side (list price: $540.90, my price: $405.68) Then you have to add shipping on to that cost. A tremendous savings over the Parts counter at you local delaership.

Now factor in the cost for having porting and polishing performed. Neal should be able to provide an estimated cost for that.

In my case, I'm also buying a new intake to have it extrude honed and ported, including the TB neck. Dealership price quote for a new intake was $233.00. I'm going to go online now to get a quote.

Anyway, I'm in the process of getting all the parts together, prepare them , and then disassemble my engine. This way, I can save the stock parts and also limit the down time of my truck.

------------------
'00 F150 SC w/ 4.6L, Oxford white, Gray Int., leather steering wheel, white faced guages, Lariat/4x4 fender flares (painted Oxford White), GTS slotted tailight covers (painted Oxford White), Lariat front grille/headlight assembly and front bumper cap (painted Oxford White), lower factory valance w/ driving lights, Ford billit hitch cover, Line-X-bed, carbon fiber hood/ bug deflector.
-------------------------
Performance: 75mm BBK throttle body, Poweraid (custom) spacer, Granatelli 80mm MAS, K&N Generation II intake system, ASP pulleys, 2-16" Hayden Rapid Cool electric fans, Gibson headers, Gibson cat back exhaust (split rear) 3:73 rear gears, custom (flip chip) Superchip.

Future mods.: Custom paint job, 2/4 drop kit, Lightening 18x9.5 wheels, 295/18 Z rated Goodyears, fiberglass tonneau cover, Stillen front bumper cover, MSD electronic ignition upgrade, 5.4 P.I. (ported & polished) heads, Ported (4.6/5.4) intake, JBA ceramic headers, (Magnacharger?)

Old 02-21-2001, 12:49 AM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
hey crazy... do me a favor and correct the spelling of "Lightning".

Thanks

Old 02-21-2001, 08:54 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
elmo,

I can't answer where Neal was getting his $500.00 heads but I can tell you you won't find 2 sets at that price.

Sean Hyland can be found at http://www.seanhylandmotorsport.com/ A word of warning, they are expensive.

Finally the outside dementions of the heads match the 4.6 heads. You must use headers from the 4.6. Using 5.4 headers could cause an allignment problem for the EGR fitting and the exhaust pipe.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks,
BFG 285/75 R16 MTs,
Borla Cat Back, Headman Headers,
Modified Air Cleaner Outlet Tube
and air box, Ported Throttle body,
Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,
Superchips

Old 02-21-2001, 09:05 AM
Hey Crazyaboutf150:

"Part # -6049-HA right side, (list price: $531.62, my price: $398.72) Part #2 -6049-JA left side (list price: $540.90, my price: $405.68) Then you have to add shipping on to that cost. A tremendous savings over the Parts counter at you local delaership."

I got a price of $308.27 for the right side and $406.50 for the left side from Bill Hood Ford down here in New Orleans. I don't know if you'd have to pay more for shipping, though. Why is there a difference in the price of each head? Also, I'm new to all this so please be patient, would I be correct in assuming I would only need to get the lower intake extrude honed?

[This message has been edited by elmo (edited 02-21-2001).]

Old 02-22-2001, 01:17 AM
Hi Elmo!

I don't know why there is a difference is the pricing on the heads. I would think, depending on geographical location, shipping cost would vary and that would be it.

Having the intake extrude honed will improve flow characteristics to the heads which have an improved flow cability. Unless I'm wrong, you would want to have the extrude honing done on the lower portion of the intake and TB elbow. You would also want to port the TB elbow for consistant mm size. Since I already have the 75mm BBK TB, I will have mine ported to 75mm if it is possible.

Hope this helps. Hey look further on this message board for a thread concerning "Heads or Modifications for My '97 4.6"?? and "Lightning Heads for a 4.6" by me. Neal had a lot of input on these threads.

Exhaust? I'm not sure yet. I think that you would want to buy 4.6 headers or keep the stock manifolds. As stated in the other messages, the 5.4 engine has a higher deck height. The 5.4 PI heads are a direct bolt-on to the 4.6L. You would have to use the cam gear and chain from your 4.6 on the heads though. Better read the information Neal wrote. Alot better explained!

------------------
'00 F150 SC w/ 4.6L, Oxford white, Gray Int., leather steering wheel, white faced guages, Lariat/4x4 fender flares (painted Oxford White), GTS slotted tailight covers (painted Oxford White), Lariat front grille/headlight assembly and front bumper cap (painted Oxford White), lower factory valance w/ driving lights, Ford billit hitch cover, Line-X-bed, carbon fiber hood/ bug deflector.
Performance: 75mm BBK throttle body, Poweraid (custom) spacer, Granatelli 80mm MAS, K&N Generation II intake system, ASP pulleys, 2-16" Hayden Rapid Cool electric fans, Gibson headers, Gibson cat back exhaust (split rear) 3:73 rear gears, custom (flip chip) Superchip.

Future mods.: Custom paint job, 2/4 drop kit, Lightening 18x9.5 wheels, 295/18 Z rated Goodyears, fiberglass tonneau cover, Stillen front bumper cover, MSD Stacker ignition control, 5.4 P.I. (ported & polished)Lightning heads, extrude honed/ported intake, 24lb. injectors, port matched/ceramic coated JBA headers, (Magnacharger?)

Old 02-22-2001, 09:03 AM
JMC

Crazy,

Check your engine code, 8th digdit in VIN.
Yours should be a W, code for Romeo, so your valve covers might not fit on the 5.4 PI heads. Something to look out for.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 02-22-2001, 09:14 AM
Mine is a 6 for Windsor.

Old 02-22-2001, 01:03 PM
JMC

Elmo & crazy,

The intake manifold is made up of 2 parts. The upper, that bolts to the heads and the lower, that is made of plastic and contains the tuning valve. The upper is the one you want to have extrude honed.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 02-26-2001, 01:45 AM
Hey JMC!

Yes, I have the Romeo engine and will need to purchase new valve covers. "Dog gone it!"

I also went back to my local dealership and asked for the print-out which illustrates the breakdown of the intake system for the 4.6. I found out that the lower intake is plastic, so you are correct. The upper intake will need to the extrude honing only.

Well, waiting to get all the parts together and have them prepared. My mechanic is lined up and ready to go.

------------------

Future mods.: Custom paint job, 2/4 drop kit, Lightening 18x9.5 wheels, 295/18 Z rated Goodyears, fiberglass tonneau cover, Stillen front bumper cover, MSD Stacker ignition control, 5.4 P.I. (ported & polished)Lightning heads, extrude honed/ported intake, 24lb. injectors, port matched/ceramic coated JBA headers, (Magnacharger?)

Old 02-26-2001, 08:31 AM
JMC

Crazy,

Does your mechanic have access to a shop manual? The reason I ask is the Helm manual gives the cam specs for the engines. My 97 shows the 4.6 and 5.4 as having the same cam.
I would like to know if the 99 5.4 has the same specs as the 4.6 of the same year. I suspect that it might have a little more lift thhan the 4.6. Let me know when you get the new heads. BTW what was your price on the intake online?

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 02-27-2001, 10:57 PM
Hey JMC!!

No, my mechanic does not have access to the manual yet. It's not available for the 2000 year model according to my local parts stores.

As far as the difference in the 4.6 to 5.4 cams, Neal has stated that you would need to run the 5.4 cams with the 5.4 PI heads. The 4.6 cams do not have enough lift. You would have to use the cam gear and chain off the 4.6 heads though, according to Neal. Remember, in '99 Ford improved the flow of the 5.4 heads, thus 5.4 PI. That's why the '98 and earlier 5.4 made 230 hp and the '99 and later 5.4 makes 260 hp. It's makes the same add-on horsepower for a 4.6 without any modifications. Port and bench flow the heads, hp increases.

Got my prices today on the intake pieces. List for the upper intake $233.90, my price $175.43. Price for the TB throat, list $132.92, my price $93.04.

I've got a lot of planning and work to do.

------------------

Old 02-28-2001, 12:09 AM
Cool

Hey Crazy
I have a question for you, What about late model 4.6 mustang heads will they give the same performance as the 5.4 pI heads and will they fit our 4.6 truck engines?. If i bolted on a set of stock 5.4 pI heads how much power will i gain?. Thanks in advance for any information you can give me. Larry

Old 02-28-2001, 12:12 AM
Cool

Hey Crazy
I have a question for you, What about late model 4.6 mustang heads will they give the same performance as the 5.4 pI heads and will they fit our 4.6 truck engines?. If i bolted on a set of stock 5.4 pI heads how much power will i gain?. Thanks in advance for any information you can give me. Larry

Old 02-28-2001, 12:15 AM
Sorry about the double post, Hit the wrong button by mistake.

Quick Reply: Attn: Neal Ready to swap heads!