Attn: Neal Ready to swap heads!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2001, 12:25 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

HI... Hey guys I thought I would just pop in her for a moment. I will try to answer most of your questions as soon as I get back on line. I hav'nt had internet access for almost a month now. I'm going nuts!LOL! I should be back up at home in a few days, so please be patient.

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor, custom ported TB intake elbow, relocated ATS.

FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 24LB INJECTORS, CUSTOM SUPERCHIP FLIP-CHIP, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, 80MM PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC TRACTION BARS, EXTRUDE HONED INTAKE MANIFOLD, SHM CUSTOM FUEL RAILS, SHM "RACE WATER PUMP, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 DROP, EXPEDITION CENTER CONSOLE, HARLEY DAVISON F-150, LOWER FRONT VALANCE (painted oxford white) and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER.

ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 330H.P / 425ft/lbs of torque.

CURRENT PERFORMANCE : 1/4 MILE - 14.53E.T * MPH - 93.00 * 0-60MPH - 5.8 * 1/8 MILE - 9.2 * 60 FT - 2.0

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

Old 02-28-2001, 03:55 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Speeder,

John at Sean Hyland Motorsports says the heads for the Mustang 99+ and the 99 PI 5.4 heads are simular but that the 5.4 flows a little better and the cam for the Triton 5.4 has a little more duration vs the 4.6 Triton. If you order the complete heads the 5.4 PI will have a truck cam and the Mustang heads will have the car cam, no low end torque. So I would stay away from the Mustanf 99+ heads.

I am off to the Dealer tomorrow so I will check the cam specs on the 5.4 and compare to the 4.6.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks, MAC 8.8 Axle Girdle
BFG 285/75 R16 MTs,
Borla Cat Back, Headman Headers,
Custom air intake system with modified
air box, Ported Throttle body,
Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,
Superchips

Old 03-01-2001, 12:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Crazy or JMC

Thanks for the information, Im very interested in changing the heads on my truck to gain that extra power and want to make sure i have the information i need. First question do i use 99 5.4 pI heads only or 99 and up 5.4 heads?. question two, I need to use the cam gears from my 4.6 heads on the 5.4 heads?. And i need to use headers to clear the EGR valve?. And every thing is a direct bolt on to my 4.6?. Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure everything will work before i start spending money on parts. Thanks Larry.

JMC when you find out about the cam specs please let me know the diference between the 4.6 and the 5.4 cams. Thanks Larry.

Old 03-01-2001, 12:49 AM
Cool

HI!... SPEEDER : You can run "99" and up 5.4 "PI" heads on your 4.6. It might be cheaper to get a set of used "99" heads just for the fact that there is more of them out there. If your buying new then it does'nt matter. Yes, you will need to use your 4.6 cam gears on the 5.4 heads. You will have to use 4.6 headers because of the EGR tube location, so it will line back up with the stock location. Hope this helps you out.

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor, custom ported TB intake elbow, relocated ATS.

FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 24LB INJECTORS, CUSTOM SUPERCHIP FLIP-CHIP, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, 80MM PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC TRACTION BARS, EXTRUDE HONED INTAKE MANIFOLD, SHM CUSTOM FUEL RAILS, SHM "RACE WATER PUMP, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 DROP, EXPEDITION CENTER CONSOLE, HARLEY DAVISON F-150, LOWER FRONT VALANCE (painted oxford white) and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER.

CURRENT PERFORMANCE : 1/4 MILE - 14.53E.T * MPH - 93.00 * 0-60MPH - 5.8 * 1/8 MILE - 9.2 * 60 FT - 2.0

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

Old 03-01-2001, 01:30 AM
Angry

Hey Speeder!

I see Neal has temporarily returned to the board. He should be able to answer these heads questions better.

One word of advice though. I've been trying to find an answer on when these heads, stock or modified, are installed on the 4.6L in CA, how do you manage to keep the engine CA emissions legal? What I found out is, because of the improved flow capability of the heads, you are making the engine run more efficiently. This can introduce higher hydrocarbons into the exhaust, thus not meeting CA emmisions.

Now you ask. How does Ford make this happen on the 5.4 engine? The only answer I have is that, the stock 5.4 ECU has been programmed to accomodate this. Our stock 4.6 ECU has not been and would require chipping to use the heads with improved flow. You have to remember, improved air flow requires more fuel, you would not want to lean the engine too much, causing damage.

Okay, does the stock 5.4 PI heads cause this much headache? I'm not sure? But I have investigated this issue, with the provided flow numbers on a set of ported 5.4 PI heads that I wanted to purchase real bad! Well, the two mechanics I know, both experienced hot rodding guys, says that if I did all the mods I wanted to, it may not be possible to stay CA emissions legal. I've also discussed this with Mike T.

I'm at a turning point now. I've talked to Mike T. and he likes the Magnacharger kit for these engines. They are 50 state approved. These superchargers aren't for everyone, but for those of us in areas where SMOG emissions testing is required, what can I say!

I'll keep in touch and Neal, I'm open for any suggestions on this issue. By the way guys, let me know if you are interested in that set of ported 5.4 PI heads from the owner. Great price and great flow numbers.

------------------
'00 F150 SC w/ 4.6L, Oxford white, Gray Int., leather steering wheel, white faced guages, Lariat/4x4 fender flares (painted Oxford White), GTS slotted tailight covers (painted Oxford White), Lariat front grille/headlight assembly and front bumper cap (painted Oxford White), lower factory valance w/ driving lights, Ford billit hitch cover, Line-X-bed, carbon fiber hood/ bug deflector.
-------------------------
Performance: 75mm BBK throttle body, Poweraid (custom) spacer, Granatelli 80mm MAS, K&N Generation II intake system, ASP pulleys, 2-16" Hayden Rapid Cool electric fans, Gibson headers, Gibson cat back exhaust (split rear) 3:73 rear gears, custom (flip chip) Superchip.

Future mods.: Custom paint job, 2/4 drop kit, Lightening 18x9.5 wheels, 295/18 Z rated Goodyears, fiberglass tonneau cover, Stillen front bumper cover, MSD Stacker ignition control, Magnacharger supercharger or 5.4 P.I. heads, extrude honed intake, 24lb. injectors, port matched/ceramic coated JBA headers,

[This message has been edited by crazyaboutF150 (edited 03-01-2001).]

Old 03-01-2001, 02:45 PM
JMC

Speeder,

If you have a set of Headers for your 4.6 you should be able to use them. If not the heads from your 4.6 will work perfectly. The only thing that is different is the inside of the Head. The outside of both Heads are in essence the same. Headers for a 5.4 will fit on a 4.6 but it will be difficult to match the EGR tube and the exhaust system.

I finally have the specs on the 99+ 5.4 Cams. I was right Ford increased the lift.
4.6L in/ex total lift @ 0 Lash = 0.472 inches. 5.4L intake total lift @ 0 Lash = 0.512 inches and exhaust = 0.541 inches.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks, MAC 8.8 Axle Girdle
BFG 285/75 R16 MTs,
Borla Cat Back, Headman Headers,
Custom air intake system with modified
air box, Ported Throttle body,
Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,
Superchips

Old 03-01-2001, 11:35 PM
Cool

HI!... CRAZYABOUTF-150 : If you are concerned that much about passing your local emissions then I would forget about the 5.4 heads and go with the supercharger. I on the other hand am going ported/polished heads, supercharger, and nitrous!LOL!

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"

Old 03-02-2001, 01:32 AM
Hey Neal!

I am and then again I'm not! The one big thing that I and any others in CA have to worry about, it could get very expensive to get a vehicle back into CA emissions compliance. Plus, what the heck do you change or do!

I'm going to keep investigating this issue though. I still would like to change the heads, extrude honed the intake, change fuel injectors, etc., before supercharging.

I'll find the right person who knows emissions inside and out on how to ensure passing CA requirements.

Anyway, thanks for the info on the tranny and rear gear. How is your 5.4 truck drivetrain handling the hp? I'm not aware of the "Lightning's" transmission, but I do know it has a 9 3/4 rear end plus a different driveshaft.

------------------
'00 F150 SC w/ 4.6L, Oxford white, Gray Int., leather steering wheel, white faced guages, Lariat/4x4 fender flares (painted Oxford White), GTS slotted tailight covers (painted Oxford White), Lariat front grille/headlight assembly and front bumper cap (painted Oxford White), lower factory valance w/ driving lights, Ford billit hitch cover, Line-X-bed, carbon fiber hood/ bug deflector.
Performance: 75mm BBK throttle body, Poweraid (custom) spacer, Granatelli 80mm MAS, K&N Generation II intake system, ASP pulleys, 2-16" Hayden Rapid Cool electric fans, Gibson headers, Gibson cat back exhaust (split rear) 3:73 rear gears, custom (flip chip) Superchip.

Future mods.: Custom paint job, 2/4 drop kit, Lightening 18x9.5 wheels, 295/18 Z rated Goodyears, fiberglass tonneau cover, Stillen front bumper cover, MSD Stacker ignition control, Magnacharger supercharger or 5.4 P.I. heads, extrude honed intake, 24lb. injectors, port matched/ceramic coated JBA headers,

Old 03-02-2001, 02:28 AM
Cool

Hi Neal.

Thanks for all the information. I realy would like to do the head swap but with the smog test required here in ca im just not sure if its worth it,( damn it )i just might go with a magna charger, 75mm throtle body and a pro m maf and call it good with that. do you have any idea how much power i might gain wit these mods?.

Hi crazy

if you get a magna charger would you put it on yourself or have it done by a shop?.
If i get one i would have to pay some body to put it on as i dont have the tools or much time, also thanks for the other information as well.

Hi JMC

Thanks for the information on the cams, I hope somebody does this swap just to see how it turns out.

Long post, Im out Larry

Old 03-02-2001, 08:59 PM
Cool

HI!... CRAZYABOUTF150 : My truck has the "PI" 4R70-W tranny and the LIGHTNING's STERLING 9.75 rearend in it. The rearend i've installed 4.10 gears and REDLINE synthetic gear oil. I was told by one of the SVT guys at the DETROIT "AUTORAMA" that the 9.75 rearend is good for around 600-650H.P. The tranny has a BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit in it on STAGE 5, REDLINE synthetic fluid, 10"X14" PERMA-COOL tranny cooler with 10" SUMMIT electric fan, PERMA-COOL auxilary tranny filter (remote) and all braided lines and RUSSELL fittings. With all these things combined I hav'nt had one problem with either one. KNOCK ON WOOD!lol!

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"

Old 03-04-2001, 01:30 PM
Hey Guys!

Speeder, if and when I do purchase the Magnacharger kit, I've got a great mechanic that will install it for me. I'm just like you, I don't have all the necessary tools nor the time. He can install the kit while I'm working.

What I have not given up on yet is the head swap. According to Neal, with my estimated 290 hp, just a few more mods and I will be pushing the limits of the tranny and rear end. Just adding on the Magnacharger would be a problem now at the current hp my engine is making. From what I've read on this board from guys with the 4.6 supercharged, they basically started from a stock 4.6 hp level. If they didn't, then they have had to beef up their drivetrain as Neal has.

Neal, if I'm not mistaken I've got the same transmission. The 4R70-W transmission. I have the 'U' code on the inside door jamb. I already check with B&M and they do not make a kit for the '00 yet. Any other suggestions on kits like yours?

I changed my rear gears from 3:55 to 3:73 in my 8.8 rear. The gears cam from FMS and I believe that they are not the standard issue considering the $ I paid. This may not mean much though, really need to beef the rear end size up, like yourself.

At this point, I'm looking at the least cost of making hp! Buying the 5.4 PI heads and having them ported and polished, buying a new intake and TB throat and then having them extrude honed, and new 24 lb. injectors still cost less than the Magnacharger kit.

Regardless of either direction, the transmission and rear end will need attention. Still got to figure out the CA emissions!

"The fat lady is not singing yet"!

Old 03-04-2001, 02:31 PM
JMC

Crazy,

I estimate I am between 270-280 hp and 345 lbs/ft of torque. I have gone through two 8.8 rear ends. And I am on my Second 5spd tranny. If $$$ is of concerne beef up the drive train first. It will not leave you stranded and out of cash. Granted mine is a 5200 lbs 4x4 so there is more strain on the drive train but eventally you will break parts. I went the other route, soup up the motor and wait for parts to break. I will replace the broken parts with better ones.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

[This message has been edited by JMC (edited 03-04-2001).]

Old 03-05-2001, 02:05 AM
Hi JMC!

Yes, I'm taking yours and Neal's advice. I'm looking at tranny coolers from Jegs and Summit. I'll have one in about a week.

I emailed Baumann Engineering today on a valve body/shift kit. I'll order it tomorrow from them.

Rear end? I'm going to have to look around for one. Talking with my mechanic on Friday, he mentioned that I should look at a salvage yard for one. We'll see, maybe I'll order a new 9.75 from Ford.

I still going to go with the 5.4 PI head (port & polished) swap and extrude hone the intake. I'm also going to change the exhaust to a true duel exhaust system. As this occurs, we'll put it on the emissions testing machine to figure out what tricks we have to play in order to stay CA emissions legal. By the way, I'll have to let Mike T. know the specifications on the changes so that the custom program can be changed to accomodate the mods.

Thanks for the input!!

Old 03-05-2001, 04:51 AM
Hey JMC. I got a stock 5-speed tranny, it shifts like crap. It is such a slow throw. It hangs between gears especially 1-2 gear changes. I gets worst the faster the engine is running. Is there a shift kit to make it smoothe like a mustang or is there something wrong with my tranny. It has shifted like this from day one, but I bought it used from a ford dealer. I need to know soon because I am at 35,869 miles and counting. I'm going to the dealer no matter what this week.

------------------
Ted (Lightning R)

Old 03-05-2001, 04:54 AM
Anyone with info or help please email me at tteten@hotmail.com

------------------
Ted (Lightning R)

Quick Reply: Attn: Neal Ready to swap heads!