Help! Oil on inside of filler cap looks like it has water in it.

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2001, 04:44 PM
WC
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help! Oil on inside of filler cap looks like it has water in it.

Hello,

I am a new member on this board. I have a 2001 F-150 Super Cab 4x4 with the 5.4L motor. I had the oil changed earlier in the week and noticed that on the receipt it stated that there was condensation on the oil filler cap. I checked the oil today and while the oil on the dipstick looked fine, the oil on the inside of the filler cap looked milky, like some water was in it. I assume this is not normal. I am using the 5w-20 like the book states. Can anyone please shed some light on this? Is it something serious like a cracked block? The overflow level on the radiator is fine and the coolant looks uncontaminated, if that gives someone a clue as to what is wrong. The truck only has 2500 miles on it. Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

Thanks,

Wayne

Old 02-25-2001, 05:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is normal if you make alot of trips where the engine doesn't warm up completely. If so then I would let the engine run a little while before driving.

Old 02-25-2001, 05:47 PM
There's a thread here about this subject. It's normal. One of the by-products of combustion is water in the form of water vapor. This vapor gets past the rings and into the engine where it circulates and condenses in the neck/cap of the oil fill.

Best way to warm up an engine these days, if you don't have a block heater, is to just start up the engine and start driving gently as soon as the idle drops.

Excessive idling at warm-up is what causes excessive moisture to get into the engine. The only way to get rid of this moisture is to get the engine oil hot.

Old 02-25-2001, 06:00 PM
WC
To Dennis and Frank,

Thank You. It puts my mind at ease to know this is normal. I guess I just freaked out a little and started having flashbacks. You see, I had previously owned a '99 Sierra that was in the shop constantly. Also, thanks for not making me feel stupid (my ignorance on auto mechanics shows). As I look around at this board, it seems like people are really interested in helping each other and not getting into a flame war. I hope to be posting here often and trying to help where I can. Thanks again for the information.

Wayne

Old 02-26-2001, 12:10 AM
Most likely normal. It is very prevalent in Cold climates, and goes away when the weather warms up. You've got the right idea on keeping an eye on the radiator level, and if it doesn't move, I wouldn't worry about it.

There are indeed a few more threads on this same topic if you need any more information! Welcome to the board!

------------------
1997 F150 XLT, Flareside , Moonlight Blue, 4x2, SC, Auto, 4.6L, 3:08's, Cargo Cover by Century, Penda bed liner, Blue Oval reciever hitch plug, Driver Design bug deflector, Monroe Reflex Shocks, 235/70/16 Firestone Wilderness AT's, sliding rear window, captain's chairs, Valvoline Durablend Oil, Purolator Pure One Oil Filter, 280 lbs. of traction sand (ahh, winter in the great white north! ), and 119,000 miles and counting!

Old 02-26-2001, 12:19 AM
WC,
it's a problem I have had to learn to live with.
For instance, it's only -30 out right now, and my daily drive has my truck running for about 10 mins, if i take the most direct route. I can plug my block heater in all I want, and I'll still get condensation on the oil filler cap.

I combat this by doing a couple things, aside from plugging it in during the winter months:
I drive an extra 15 mins or so, to give my motor time to warm up. And, I also chk my filler cap and dipstick and coolant level about every three days.

Then I drop my oil often too, luckily my buddy has a heated garage.

It'll be gone before you know it - as stated, when the warmer weather arrives.

FWIW, I know you can get oil pan heaters too, if you are not able to combat the problem in other ways...

hope this helped.
Bambino

------------------
Bambino Online
Owners Gallery Truck #179
1999 reg cab/short box/ORP - 3.55; 4.6l 5sp; factory snapless tonneau; twin 6" kicker sub tubes; Custom Exhaust

Old 02-26-2001, 03:13 AM
Bambino:
Where is Edmonton AB? I've heard of it but I don't know where it is. If it is -30 I know it's got to be up north.

------------------
1997 XLT Teal 4.6L Flareside 4x4. Automatic, Reg. cab, tinted windows, bug deflector, Dual exhaust, K&N Generation 2 air filter, BullDog keyless entry/remote start(installed myself), Custom 16" wheels, bedliner, Covercraft tonneau cover, electronic shift on the fly. Going to add headers.

Old 02-26-2001, 11:23 PM
King James

Edmonton is about 1000km or 650mi north east of Spokane WA, not sure if that is the best reference point from where you are.

It's not so much northerly as it is tucked in behind the jet stream which brings very cold arctic air upon us.

One day -30, another day above freezing. It does wonders for the roads and everything else here.

------------------
Bambino Online
Owners Gallery Truck #179
1999 reg cab/short box/ORP - 3.55; 4.6l 5sp; factory snapless tonneau; twin 6" kicker sub tubes; Custom Exhaust

Quick Reply: Help! Oil on inside of filler cap looks like it has water in it.