Iridium Plugs????

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iridium Plugs????

I have seen the Iridium plugs on E-bay and was wondering if anybody has used them and if some of the claims are correct. Is there a noticible power increase? (Doubt it) Do they last longer the Platnum? With as tough as these plugs are to change I could probably justify them if they lasted an extra 20,000 miles or so.

Old 03-20-2002, 07:41 PM
Tim:

Many of the Lightning owners are useing Iridiums. They work very well in our engs. and are know to have the lowest rate of misfires of any of the popular plugs available to us. They should outlast the stock platinums. If you get them, be very careful when adjusting the gap. The electrode is brittle and can be broken easily if mis-handled.

Dan

Old 03-21-2002, 03:11 AM
Question ???? For Ya'..

LIGHTNINROD,

I will be doing a plug change soon, 113k and, and there are a few misses. My question is would they be any good in my N/A motor, or would they be a waste..Just Curious..

Thanks

Old 03-21-2002, 07:37 AM

The Iridiums are expensive(around $90.00 for eight) and may be 'overkill'. I don't currently use them but probably will for my next plug change on my L.

I am useing NGK's(BR7EFs--very 'cold'--for my extra boost). Many of the L guys use the NGKs too and find them almost or as good as the Iridiums. If I were changing the plugs in my f150-xlt, I would use NGKs TR5s. They are only $1.50+(?) per plug and very suitable for the N/A engs.

Dan

Old 03-21-2002, 09:44 AM
Thumbs up Thanks Dan..

Well maybe some day I will have some boost, but not on this motor...well I will keep this in mind. Thanks for the info Dan
I will try the ngk's out..

Old 03-21-2002, 06:32 PM
I am in need of a plug change and was considering the Iridiums. My truck is a 97 4.6 but just because it's older with lots of miles, I don't mind spending a few extra dollars to get better stuff. Now 90 is a little high on plugs but I would happily pay 60.
On the NGK's, is that all of the par# just TR5, I mean usually they are like TR5ES or TR5EB or something. Those are just a regular plug which is great for straight out performance but will not last as long as platniums. I mean for us guys that are not on boost having to change the plugs a little as possible is a big plus.

Old 03-21-2002, 07:44 PM
KYFord:

I just did a 'google' (best search eng. according to my Ga Tech graduate son ) and found www.ngksparkplugs.com and they said use TR55VX but these are their platinum plugs--not the standard, $1.50 plug. Should last longer though?

Auto Zone or Pep Boys, etc should have them.

Dan

Old 03-21-2002, 09:37 PM
LIGHTNINROD
Thanks for checking. I work for Advance and found that same part# in the NGK book and computer but can not get them at work. In fact I don't remember seeing just a TR5 listed for the F150 at all. I am basically wondering what the best choice was. Do you think the NGK TR55VX's would be the best choice out there on N/A 4.6. At work I have my choice of Autolite standards, platinums, and platinum pros (double platnium). Bosch platinum, +2's, or +4's. Champion stnadards or platinums. We might have a standard NGK to fit but for some reason we do not carry the NGK platinum on the F150.

Last edited by KYFordFreak; 03-21-2002 at 10:14 PM.
Old 03-22-2002, 07:44 AM
KY:

I would go with one of the NGKs. Many L owners(both stock and modded) report complete satisfaction with these plugs. I don't think it makes a difference(in this instance) whether your eng. is NA or not.

Dan

Quick Reply: Iridium Plugs????