New F-150 or New F-250

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2000, 05:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New F-150 or New F-250

Hi All,

Need some opinions, I have a tough decision to make. I am in the market for a New FORD Truck ( the ONLY truck, in my opinion ) and am not sure what to get. I had a 99 F-150 Supercab 4X4 with the 5.4 and had some problems ( piston slap, leaky rear window etc. ) with it and last winter smashed it up in the snow. Then I traded it for a 2000 Expi and love the Expi even though it is underpowered with the 4.6 engine. What I am going to do is keep the Expi and buy another truck, best of both worlds that way. My problem is that I don't know if I should get another F-150 Supercab 4X4 with the 5.4 or if I should get a Superduty F-250 Supercab 4X4 with the Powerstroke Diesel? I intend to keep this truck for 5 - 10 years and I will put about 25K miles a year on it. I like both trucks and I really don't need a Superduty and have never owned a diesel. How about some pro's and con's.

------------------
2000 Expedition XLT, 4X4, 4.6, 3.55
C & C Group
K&N air filter
WeatherTech Vent Shades
Hellwig Sport Tech Anti-Sway Bar
Ford Dual Media AM/FM/Cassette/CD

Coming Soon

Cat-Back Exhaust
Performance Shocks
Fender Flares and Mud Flaps

Old 11-13-2000, 05:21 PM
Talking

There are a lot of pros and cons to this one, but if it were me and I was going to keep it 5-10 years and run that amount of miles, I think I would go with the SD Diesel. That's just an opinion. Course the diesel will cost more up front,(but with the miles you are projecting you will be past the "break even point"), but gets better mileage, and has all the power you will ever need, but oil changes and maintenance are more expensive than a gasser. Good Luck with your decision.

------------------
2000 F-150, XLT, SPORT 4X4, BRIGHT RED/DARK GRAPHITE, SUPER CAB,
SHORT BED, 5.4L, AUTO, 3:55LS, TOW PACKAGE, HD COOLING/ELECT, SKID PLATES
SPORT CLOTH SIX WAY POWER CAPTAIN'S CHAIRS, CONSOLE, SINGLE CD,
CRUISE,ESOF,REMOTE KEYLESS, FORD SNAPLESS TONNEAU COVER, FORD BEDLINER,
FORD MOLDED SPLASH GUARDS, FORD BODY COLOR CABSTEPS,
MODS: CATCH ALL FRONT MATS, LUND DEFLECTOR, FORD VENT SHADES,
GIBSON SWEPTSIDE CATBACK,
K&N GENII FIPK,
FORD HITCH COVER

NEXT: SUPERCHIP!!

Old 11-13-2000, 07:19 PM
Dear Pumpermike,
I currently own a 1999 F-250 Super Duty extended cab with the 5.4L. I do alot of driving in my business, approximately 300 miles a day. In my opinion, I feel that in a F-250 with the 5.4L that it is way under powered when I have any load in the bed of the truck, approximately 600 to 800 pounds or when I am towing boats or my mustang. I never owned a F-150 with the 5.4L so I cannot tell you how it is to drive. Last week, I priced a new F-250 4x4 with the extended cab and six foot bed. The price was $37,000. The cost for the diesel engine alone was $4,700. But, in my case, it is worth it because I do so much driving. In your case, it may not be worth the additional expense of the diesel engine and or maintenance costs associated with the diesel. Bugman.

Old 11-13-2000, 07:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Diesel freezes, You have to plug them in
in winter.. At least I did with my Mercedes.
And I never could get used to the smell.

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Clear Euro tails(Altezza style)
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper 500HF Security system
On the way/wheels,tires,air dam, etc..etc.......
doin the monochromatic boogie
on the front end.Billet grilles on order
www.my-f150.com .still want to lift it,YES!
Fender Guitars,ROCK!!!
http://www.bigsandy.net
officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

Old 11-13-2000, 09:28 PM
Cool

Those two trucks are as different as yesterday and tomorrow.

There is no way that you can justify the expense of the diesel UNLESS you cannot pull something with the gas -- and you pull a lot.

Justification aside, there is nothing like driving a diesel. They're powerful, as smooth as a gasser, and equally reliable.

Everything is more expensive with the diesel. You need to change oil sooner, glow plugs go out, filters are expensive, starters need replacement, mechanics are elusive, diesel fuel is disproportionately expensive, don't make much heat, and they're noisy. If they leak, they're stinky.

They start quickly, rev willingly, will pull at WOT forever, never overheat, will pass anything pulling the same whatever that you are pulling, and don't run out of steam when pulling up mountains.

They're also a Man's truck.

Resale is great until they get old -- then people shy away because they're tough to fix.

In short, they're a huge fix for a small problem.

But you sure feel great driving them.

------------------
Y2K™ Jim - N8JG@Hotmail.com

Toreador Red, Keyless XLT SC SB 5.4L E4x4 4wDisc/ABS, 3.73LS, Skid, HD 7700# Towing, LT-245's on Chrome, Tube-Steps, Captain's, 6CD, Tonneau, named: "Nick"

Old 11-14-2000, 12:43 AM
Location: the great stinkin' desert national monument and nuclear waste dump
Exclamation

Well I dont own a truck right now, but..

I have driven both some. Last week I took a 2001 F250 Supercab shortbox (I think) XLT out for a spin. This one had a 5.4L...it is quite a hass, and the 5.4 is sluggish, but hey, this is a BIG truck! If I was towing a lot, and/or hauling a lot, like for construction, farming, bulk delivery, carrying a camper, long distances, I would go for it with a diesel.

The interior is very nice but utilitarian, not like the F150. This one had vinyl floor coverings, so I guess it makes it easy to hose it out after it gets muddy, or, uh, you "step in it"! The seats are nice, you sit up a bit higher because the hood isnt slopped like the F150.

If it was just for a ride around town with occasional light towing/hauling then get the F150. If heavy-duty work/hauling/towing then get the F250 with diesel.

--karl

Old 11-14-2000, 12:56 AM
Thumbs up

Hell man, by all means buy the Superduty F-250 Supercab 4X4 with the Powerstroke Diesel, it's the best value for your money!!! You get the power; the looks (from the rumble) and you get the value! Right now Diesel is so much cheaper than gas (at least where I live)! Spend the extra cash now, and save in the long run! The only problem with the Superduty F-250 Supercab 4X4 with the PowerstrokeŽ Diesel is that the suspension is so damn hard, unless it's loaded down, it won't ride anything like the F-150!

But again, that's my $0.02 cents, and in American, that would be my $0.03 cents! LOL

Peter
ilikedellcomputers

------------------
1995 Ford Explorer Limited / Metallic Evergreen Frost / 4.0L OHV V6 / Hooker Aero Chamber Muffler / Drop in K&N Air filter / Xenon Headlamps / 2 10` MTX 6000 Subs / 2 MTX Blue Thunder Amps / Clarion DRX6675Z Deck / 4 180-watt Pioneer 3-way Speakers / Police Issue Strobes / Blue Fluorescent Light in headliner

Old 11-14-2000, 06:03 AM

Also the Super Duty has good ole SOLID axles and leaf springs (much easier to lift)

I couldn't afford the SD but sure wanted
didn't need it, but sure wanted it

Old 11-14-2000, 08:35 AM
I think Y2K 7700 4x4 said it best. Could not agree more.

Quick Reply: New F-150 or New F-250