New 02's have plastic upper intake!!! WTF?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2001, 11:35 AM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New 02's have plastic upper intake!!! WTF?

Crazy aint it.... its plastic! (at leas on the 4.2) Ford is getting cheap.

Wonder if a 99-01 upper intake will fit to a 02?

Old 10-07-2001, 12:13 PM
Not just for $$$, but it doesnt get as hot as metal and gets colder air thru there.

Old 10-07-2001, 12:20 PM
The 5.4 and 4.6 have the same thing. Ford had to fix a bunch a 4.6's where it was failing. Don't forget how much weight you're not hauling around with a plastic intake.

Old 10-07-2001, 12:50 PM
Actually all the other auto makers have been doing this for about 2 years, on their cars at least. I actually think they are more durable than a conventional intake. They don't corrode and can take just as much heat. Plus look at the major weight savings. And if you ever have to remove it, it is less likely to have corroded itself on there. Most Toyota/Lexus vehicles have the starter on top of the engine under the intake. So a plastic intake definitely makes replacing the starter easier in their case.

-Jon

Old 10-07-2001, 12:58 PM
welcome to technology!

Sure is different than carbs, hey? And that is just the tip of the iceberg

Old 10-07-2001, 02:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs down

HI!.... YA too bad that the plastic intakes can't be extrude honed in race applications like the aluminum ones. FORD is also having problems with the plastic intakes warping especially between the still aluminum TB elbow and the top of the plastic intake. The plastic intakes also use helix coils for threads and they spin out and are easily damaged. By the way I heard of a few instances where guys of tried bolting a KENNE BELL supercharger to these intakes and after a few hard throttles, have actually ripped the helix coils right out of the intake. IMO, I'll take a aluminum intake over plastic any day. By the way I checked out my freinds 2002 F-150 yesterday and FORD has switched to a smaller 6 rib belt set-up. My "99" is a 8 rib set-up. I can here the problems with that already!LOL!

Old 10-07-2001, 02:49 PM
neal, you are the exception to the rule.

I would not use a plastic intake with forced induction to start with. That is only asking for trouble. The 6 and 8 rib belts, big deal. The stangs and most every other ford uses 6 rib. Just makes for more hastle getting the right parts at the parts store.

One of the main advantages of the plastic is that out of the box they flow more than the aluminum and do not retain heat as much. All the bores are smooth for better flow. You would have to extrude hone an aluminum for the same smoothness. Also they can cast the plastic thinner for a larger volume of air.

So for most of us, like 99% it will never be a problem or issue. Just the few that use forced induction, it will be another expense on top of the 3-4K for the blower already. I can hear the orders for the magnachargers now! I also see in the future no more vortecs for the trucks as there will be to many problems.

Old 10-07-2001, 03:20 PM
Neal... you are thinking right along with me on the intake! I'm going for forced induction REAL soon (1 year)... Guess i'll buy a pre-honed upper and lower intake to replace. I'm sure the upper intake won't bolt to the lower on this piece of ****.

I've got a budget of $400 a month to spend on this truck so i'm modding it very quickly. hopfully in 1 year I'll have all mods excluding supercharger. check the v6 forum for my mods.

Old 10-07-2001, 04:16 PM
Trying real hard to not sound like a wiseacre, but with $400 a month to spend on mods, why did you buy the V6? Why didn't you use some of the $4,800 on the 4.6L or 5.4L (if an auto tranny would have been okay with you)?

Old 10-07-2001, 06:29 PM
Dennis: they tried to locate me a 4.6 (same truck setup) but failed.... so i stuck with the v6. with a the mods i'm doing and 50-100hp NOS i should be hittin high 13's to mid 14's.

yes... i would rather have the v6!

Quick Reply: New 02's have plastic upper intake!!! WTF?