Changed plugs have a few questions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2001, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Changed plugs have a few questions?

First I'd like to thank everybody for the great information on this board. Today I changed my plugs, fuel filter, air filter, cleaned my DPFE sensor and cleaned my MAF sensor in only 3 hours plus I stopped to eat a few slices of pizza. This was my first atempt at the plugs and really I was prepared because of the info I got on this board. The thing I found most odd was my plugs on the drivers side (all 4) were worn alot more than the passenger side plugs. Buy the way it's a 98 ext cab 4.6l 4X4 (FOU1 computer code) and the plugs were the origional plugs with 91,000k (56,000miles). I have had a problem with pinging since about 30,000k and after taking it for a quick run around the block the pinging is alot less but still there under full throttle. Any ideas on the uneven plug ware or the pinging problem would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks Mark

Old 10-02-2001, 03:35 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
HI Blue,

The FOU1's are more aggressive than any other 1998 4.6 calibration code from the factory, to the point that about 5% of them will exhibit audible detonation from the factory on 87 octane.

Since you still had the original spark plugs in it at those miles, I'm guessing that you may also still have the original spark plug wires, and if so, they are shot by now, you're not getting anywhere near the current to those spark plugs that you should. Don't replace them with the factory wires, they're expensive & very poor quality, use an aftermarket set, I'd suggest perhaps using the Accel 300 series, they're about the best bang-for-the-buck. Replace them now.

I would also have those coil packs replaced too, since you mention that one bank of plugs was worn considerably more than the other bank, you probably have a weak coil pack on one side of that motor, and those are normally about a 50K mile service part, and should be replaced anyway by now. Again, here I would use the Accel 300 series, great bang-for-the-buck.

Even after doing those necessary maint. items, you may still have some detonation on 87 octane. Make sure you're using only the best possible fuels, stay away from Exxon & any no-name or off-brands, as they have lower energy content even though the octane is there, and will not give you the performance or mileage you could be getting, and can cause or contribute to detonation. Try to use only something like Texaco, Amoco, and if you're out West, Chevron works well there as well. If after using only the best fuels (meaning at least 3-5 tanks), you are *still* getting detonation, you'll have to move up to 89 octane, some of those FOU1's just have to have it. Still, use only the best fuels, even if you have to go up in octane, it always pays in the long run with better performance & mileage over the long haul.

Good luck!

Old 10-02-2001, 04:06 PM
Couple of real stupid q's. Where does one find Accel coil packs and wires for a '99 with a 5.4L? I've check the usual suspects, Jeg's, Summit, and they have generic descriptions of the parts and no application guide.
Please tell me that I don't need 8 of those $55.00 coil packs for a tune up!!??!!
Where can I get the wires and packs that Mike just referred to?

Old 10-02-2001, 05:04 PM
Isn't the fact that plugs on one side of the engine is more worn due to the fact that, for lack of a better way to describe it, the ignition system fires in series? Two plugs fire at the same time on opposite sides of the engine (one coil fires two plugs at the same time) with reversed polarities?

I know in '97 Ford also installed different plugs depending on the side of the engine. One side had platinum only on the center electrode and the other side and platinum only on the side electrode. Or was that urban legend?

Old 10-02-2001, 05:07 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink Two different things...

Linetest,

The "coil packs" Mike was talking about are for the 4.6L. They have two of them and use actual spark plug wires, four on each side. The 5.4 uses individual "coil packs" on each spark plug. You don't have to replace these for a "normal" tune up, unless you damage one trying to take it off, or the heater hose dumps on the rear one and shorts it out.

I'm not sure what the aftermarket has for the 5.4L. But unless you do a bunch of additional mods to the engine to really need more spark, I don't think they would do much more then the stock ones.

Old 10-02-2001, 05:19 PM
Got'um

I notice some difference. Not enough to right home about, but some. It's a little peppier and the idle smoother.

Along with this wires and plugs.

Old 10-02-2001, 08:09 PM
Can't help it. I'm dense. Mitch, the coil is part of the spark plug? Or, you remove the coil pack, and the plug is underneath? If the coil is a seperate piece, it won't need to be replaced unless defective? No improvement by switching out the OEM? If that's the case, then just new plugs and wires are the ticket to a tuneup correct?
Sorry folks, I have a 1970 Cutlass I'm restifying with a 350/4. I can do what I can see! I have changed to electronic ignition, chaged the intake and carb, as well as many other little things, and I'm begging for help with a spark plug change on my truck. LOL. I pop the hood on these new engines, then quickly close it again.

Old 10-02-2001, 08:22 PM
Thanks for the reply Mike but do you have any part #'s for the accel 300 series wires the only one I can find is for the super stock spirals (5137B) are these the same as the 300 series?

Old 10-02-2001, 08:26 PM
F-150 Ram Air where did you buy you accel wires and coil packs and what did you pay for them?

Thanks Mark

Old 10-02-2001, 08:34 PM
Blue4X4,

Paid 53.00 for the coils and 93.00 for the wires. There 8mm wires. I'd rather have had the 8.5mm but, that .5 isn't gonna make a difference. I got them at a local speed shop. The coil is Part#140018. You have the wires (Part#5137B) already.

Old 10-02-2001, 08:36 PM
Oh Yea

You'll need two coils. You knew that anyway. But just in case.

Old 10-02-2001, 11:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Oops, got disconnected during the submit. didn't realize it double posted

Last edited by 98SCREAMER; 10-03-2001 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-02-2001, 11:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

At the risk of sounding like a compleat idiot, do the Accel wires have any other color than blue? I already have my engine covered in red loom with yellow tie wraps, and somehow blue doesn't fit in Wasn't Accels' color always yellow?
I've priced the coil packs before, maybe it's time to do something(65,000 miles with original plugs, wires, and coils) It started to lose some pep around 50,000.,,,,98

Old 10-02-2001, 11:28 PM
Thanks Ram air
I was thinking of asking you the same thing as Blue 4x4 did.

Accel now makes wires in four colors mostly yellow (main Accel color) and then some of the time there is a choice in blue, red, and black. Watch out because some of the blue, red, and black kits are the "universal" design and you have to put you own ends on. Now the part#5137B is not universal it is custom fit which means it is a premade setup.

Now I just wish I could get them from work with a 20% discount. Got the part #, just don't carry that part, it sucks.

Old 10-03-2001, 01:18 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking Linetest:

All good questons. I too had no idea where the plugs were when I first opened the hood! Took me twenty minutes to find the oil filter for the first time! Didn't realize it was remote and tucked up next to the front bumber!

Anyway, the coil packs on the 5.4's are basically a boot with the actual coil on top of each one. They run along the top of the heads right under the fuel rail and next to the injectors. They are a real PITA to get to and you do have to take each one off (they have a small 7 or 8 mm hex head screw holding down each one). Then blow or vaccum out any dirt that may have gotten down the plug hole. They do use just standard spark plugs of your choice.

Usually, just the new plugs will make a big difference. That 100k mile deal Ford states is ridiculas..... I changed mine at 61k and they were shot. I never let plugs go that long. I bought the truck used and that was the first thing I did.

There are no actual plug wires. Only wires that connect it to a harness that goes someplace into the bowels of the engine compartment. Took me four hours to change mine the first time. You will need a host of extensions, swivels, bandaids and patience (beer worked for me too )

Just let me know if you have anyother q's on it. There are many posts on it too. Those really helped me out the first time.

Last edited by MitchF150; 10-03-2001 at 01:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Changed plugs have a few questions?