Timing Job Issue Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2015, 01:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Job Issue Help Needed

Hey you guys have helped me in the past so I thought I would try again.

I have a 2003 Screw with a 4.6L 2v engine.

I was having some timing chain noise and some CEL codes that I was having trouble figuring out. So I decided to change the tensioner and guides and now I am having some trouble. I have done this job before on a 5.4L Navigator so I am pretty familiar with the job.

So here is what happened. I was having a hard time getting the harmonic balancer off and when i finally got it off, I went to try and rotate the engine and it wouldn't rotate, it seemed jammed or something. So I pulled off the timing cover so see if I could see any issues. The driver side guide was busted and it looked like there was some slack in the chains.

I tried to rotate the engine to line up the timing marks but it wouldn't budge. I thought that the trans might be locked up from me cranking on the balancer, so I hooked the battery back up and just bumper the starter. It turned over and was loose. So I was able to rotate the crank enough to line up the timing marks. So I put all the new chains and everything back in and went to rotate the motor just to make sure that there weren't any issues and the motor now I can only rotate the motor about a 1/4 turn and it feels jammed up again.

I had the key way at about 11 o'clock and the timing mark was at 6 and installed the black links on the crank mark and cam marks. Nothing out of the ordinary.

So I was looking for some direction. I might have messed something up when I bumped the starter or I might not have the chains on right. Any way to tell if I bent some valves or something??

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in Advance

Old 08-08-2015, 03:45 PM
I found a little more info. I noticed on the drivers side that 2 of the cam followers were loose. I am guessing that those 2 valves are bent. They are not popping back up to hold the followers back on.

Does this sound right?

Can I just pull the head on that side and get it repaired?

Thanks
Mark

Old 08-10-2015, 07:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you had the crankshaft keyway at 11:00 then the valves hit the piston on at least one cyl. This is a 90 deg engine and not freewheeling. So if you need all 8 pistons low enough in their bores to rotate the cams then you must have the crank keyway at one of four locations. 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 9:00. anywhere in between those locations and you can hit the pistons with the valves. Thats why I always just used 12:00 for the keyway location and that was our standard baseline location for installing timing chains. Sounds like some valves are bent. I would remove both cyl heads or perform a cyl leakdown test to determine if any other valves are bent on the opposite head.
Remember when you reinstall the heads have the crank keyway already at 12:00 and LEAVE it there before during and after the heads are installed and until all timing chain installation has been completed and chain tensioner's are tightened and extended. DO NOT move the crankshaft keyway from that location. With the crank in the 12:00 position you can rotate the cams only by hand and adjust the timing chains on the timing marks all you want without bending a valve. Good luck.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 08-10-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 09:30 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
The crank being "stuck" was piston hitting valves, then the 600 ftlbs starter bent them when you bumped it

Old 08-12-2015, 06:34 AM
Everbody is assuming you had already removed the timing chain when you trid to turn the motor. you did not say that. if the chains were not removed yet, all that stuf everbody said aint gonna matter one bit. If you hit the startr with the chains off, there right you screw up.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:10 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
Chains on or off doesn't matter. He said there was visible slack because the guide was damaged

Old 08-12-2015, 10:55 PM
I still don't get it. chain slack or broken guide or whatever He said he had chain noise and codes he could not figger out. sounds like it was runnin when he started the job. it would have been trashed if valvs was hittin pistons. Should have been able to turn the motor if chain was on. broken gide chain slack or not. If chains was off then he screwed up

Old 08-13-2015, 08:44 PM

Once the tensioners are off the chain can slip. He also clearly states that he installed new chains. Can't turn the engine with the chain on or off if the valves are hitting the pistons.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:08 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by DYNOTECH
Can't turn the engine with the chain on or off if the valves are hitting the pistons.
I get that . If valves are hitting pistons they don't run worth a damn. So the chain sliped after he shut it down while he was goofin with tryin to get the harmonic balancer off. Or he ain't tellin us the whole story. Cause he didn't even take the timing cover off till after that.

Old 08-15-2015, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by onefumbduck
i get that . If valves are hitting pistons they don't run worth a damn. So the chain sliped after he shut it down while he was goofin with tryin to get the harmonic balancer off. Or he ain't tellin us the whole story. Cause he didn't even take the timing cover off till after that.
ok......

Quick Reply: Timing Job Issue Help Needed