P0174 system lean bank 2

Old 07-25-2015, 03:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0174 system lean bank 2

Shop tested the f-150 5.4v8 Triton 3(v) no external leaks smoke test.
Fuel pressure was 38 to 41 psi @ idle Spec: is 35 to 45 psi.
that seems to be ok.
Everything leaning towards fuel injectors.

Symptoms are every time I try to accelerate under load at or around 45 mph.
At normal cruising speed everything is fine.

My question is what year ford f-150 can I pull injectors from?
They are $60.00+ ea. from o'reilly auto parts.
• Universal Cats are new so is the o2 sensor and passenger side
manifold is new.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:13 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Injectors may be expensive, but in a 3v you should use the latest Motorcraft injectors. Check rockauto.com. Have you tried running Techron in the gas?

System lean on only one bank can be caused by an exhaust leak before the converter. Bank 2 is driver's side.

What are the symptoms? How many miles are on the spark plugs and coils? Do you have any mods on the engine such as an aftermarket intake?

Old 07-25-2015, 08:06 PM
Thanks for the reply GLC. The Symptoms are when driving normal at 40mph if I want to give it gas to pull out at pass somebody the motor will hesitate and buck. I have to slowly back off the throttle and gradually give it gas from the pedal. the response is not there.
• Plugs where last changed at 137,000 now have 180,000
• Mechanic told me to run the Royal Purple Fuel Inj. cleaner from O'reilly auto parts W/93 octane. did one tank full.

• possible other causes LEAK IN THE PCV SYSTEM.
any help much appreciated.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:34 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Injectors?? Not so sure.

@gibby84

IMO the injectors is the wrong direction (unless confirmed by further tests). #1) To get a lean code from faulty injectors, one or more would have to be sticking closed, or in seriously need of cleaning, or clogged. The ECU will respond in Closed Loop monitoring by increasing the fuel trim (on that bank) to compensate for the lean reading coming from the upstream O2 sensor because of any injector failing to deliver its proper amount of fuel. It would be MOST helpful if you can get live short term and long term trim figures for both banks with a data scanner. GENERALLY, even one or two injectors can double their delivery capacity and compensate for two completely clogged injectors. This condition will show up as very positive fuel trim numbers and should also evidence itself in visual inspection of spark plugs - (Black sooty ones running rich / White chalky ones running lien). A laser temperature check of the cats should show about normal operating temperature because the average amount of fuel being delivered by all injectors on that bank should be about average - although fuel trims read HIGH. If this test is positive, then (due to expense) you would could replace only those supplying cylinders with white chalky spark plugs.

#2) The more likely IMO, is a vacuum leak. Under this condition the ECU will respond by increasing fuel trim (on one or both banks - depending on vacuum leak location and severity) in an attempt to normalize (proper 14.7:1 ratio) lambda for ALL air entering the combustion process (both metered and unmetered), based on the reading from the upstream O2 sensor. In this case, ALL FOUR spark plugs might (or might not) indicate rich, but a laser temperature check of the cats will show they are operating at much too high a temperature trying to burn off all the excess fuel - even though the O2 sensor still sees the mixture as lean ratio. This may even result in a 0430 (cat operating below efficiency) code, flashing CEL, and even destroy the cats. If this test is positive, it can help narrow it down by pinching off any PCV hose with vice grips, spray starting fluid (ether) or carb cleaner around the intake while monitoring fuel trims or just listening for idle to change. [Not while smoking and have a fire extinguisher nearby]. Also, check for exhaust leaks on bank 2 exhaust manifold with a stethoscope (or 3ft length of 3/4 radiator hose) for exhaust leaks upstream of the 02 sensor. Of course, fix any leaks found.

If you are still having trouble with misfires, there might be something helpful found in this post. https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...ml#post5159499

Good Luck. I'd like to hear what you find.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:34 PM
this is where I started with the multiple errors Down to P0174

• Fuel pump driver module replaced
• Pass front exhaust manifold replaced
• Universal converter replaced
• two 02 sensors downstream replaced
• Cleaned mass air flow, cleaned throttle body
• plugs where changed at 137,000

is there a good diagram someone can point me to where the pcv hoses are located?
Maybe they have a pin hole in them somewhere.

5.4 Triton 3 (V) 2005

Old 07-26-2015, 09:29 PM
I have placed a page from the Factory Service Manual here: http://www.devoll.com/public/F150-5~...e-PCV-hose.pdf

Check that the oil filler seals good. It's about the only place air can get into the crankcase other than cylinder blow-by, (or possibly a bad o'ring on the PCV hose).

hope this helps.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:40 PM
Do you know what year injectors you can pull from a F-150? Are they all universal?
I have a 2005 FX4 5.4L (3) Motor. Thanks everyone

Old 07-31-2015, 02:03 AM
I just checked about four different year models on www.rockauto.com

and they seem to each have different part numbers in both Bosch and MotorCraft.

I am still suspicious that "injectors" themselves won't be the cause of a P0174 code, if that's still what we are talking about here.

Let us know what you find out.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:01 PM
P0174 Issue update

Well I changed the
• fuel filter
• bought OTC 6918 spark plug remover.
• new C.O.Ps
• new plugs motorcraft SP-515
2ND econd plug change @ 183,332. 1st plug change was @ 137,000
had no problems on removal of plugs, followed the procedure posted on this forum. The hesitation seemed to go away but damn if the 4WD actuator on the driver side is starting to make a noise. And the engine light came back on. Arrrg.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: P0174 system lean bank 2