Oil Change gone wrong

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Oil Change gone wrong

Ok so I put my 02 F150 up on ramps to reach the oil filter and have more clearance to get to the oil pan. Change goes easy as I would imagine one does. After putting new oil in and pulling down from the ramps, CEL is on and the OD on the gear shift is blinking. I take off down the road and the oil pressure gauge is reading good so I don't think that is the problem. Now it's sputtering and missing a bit so I take it over to AutoZone to see what the CEL is all about.

P1451, P0443, P1409, P1747, P0161, P0755. All of em!

Just from putting the truck up on ramps to change the oil? What gives, how could the thing fall completely apart after such a simple maintenance action?

Old 06-18-2014, 01:13 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Check what those codes have in common or which circuit they share. Then check the fuse for that circuit.

Or just start testing all the fuses.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
climb back under and find the harness you accidentally unplugged.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:49 PM
Please elaborate. I'd love for it to only be an electrical harness.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:28 PM
I'm guessing jethat is simply proposing it as a possibility, not that he knows there is a harness under there (but he might). I wasn't looking for one when I was last under the '98 changing the oil but I don't recall seeing one in the way. Of course my filter is the remote mounted one so there could well be a harness in the standard filter mounting area I wouldn't be aware of.

You mention wanting access to the oil pan. Was that just to get to the drain plug or did you do more like dropping the pan ?

Or maybe something (said possible wire harness) hooked on the ramps while going up or down, or hooked on your creeper. Were you doing any other work at the same time ? Maybe disconnect the battery ? Really just guessing here which isn't much help, sorry. It's a puzzler with multiple codes coming up all of a sudden

Old 06-18-2014, 07:46 PM
Checking the codes it really does seem like the most likely if not only common factor of them would be a main wiring harness. I'd say have a good look underneath where anything might have hit. One of the codes ( P0161 ) suggests a wiring harness that runs close to the exhaust components and is prone to being burnt by same. Some of the codes refer to the evap emission control circuit which runs back to the gas tank and could share the same harness. That's all I can narrow it down to and I'm admittedly out of my depth even as far as that goes.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:31 PM
Hey any information is helpful. I didnt see anything hanging loose under there. I did nothing but change the oil.

Thought it might be a clogged exhaust so we cleaned that out. Didnt help. Still happening. I'm going to try to change all of the fuses out next to see if something else triggers. Had two mechanics even scratching their heads so who knows

Old 06-18-2014, 09:24 PM
Its gotta be a harness. Thats the logical explanation for getting all those codes at once. Burn through loosened a connector. Something like that has happened.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:29 PM
Look at the harnesses near the transmission. some of then are trans codes I didnt look then all up but it also looks like o2 codes. All that stuff is down there in a wiring harness I guarantee it.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:34 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Do not waste your time and resources replacing or checking all the fuses, all those sensors run off a single fuse, F23 under the hood. However, there are MORE sensors on that fuse, so, if the fuse were open, you'd get even more fault codes if the scanner is picking up and displaying all available codes. I suspect yours isn't displaying all available codes, perhaps the display needs to be toggled to an additional screen, and you've only posted less than half of the total codes stored in the PCM. If F23 is open, you'd also have drivability problems (transmission won't work right, IMRC (if used) not working) plus the A/C won't work.

If you need further analysis, identify your engine. There are variations in the circuitry.

Last edited by projectSHO89; 06-20-2014 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you were using a creeper is it possible that you used your foot against the bottom of the truck /transmission etc. to push yourself out from under the truck? It can happen and you may have broke or disconnected a harness connection.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Do not waste your time and resources replacing or checking all the fuses, all those sensors run off a single fuse, F23 under the hood. However, there are MORE sensors on that fuse, so, if the fuse were open, you'd get even more fault codes if the scanner is picking up and displaying all available codes. I suspect yours isn't displaying all available codes, perhaps the display needs to be toggled to an additional screen, and you've only posted less than half of the total codes stored in the PCM. If F23 is open, you'd also have drivability problems (transmission won't work right, IMRC (if used) not working) plus the A/C won't work.

If you need further analysis, identify your engine. There are variations in the circuitry.
Sounds exactly like what is happening. It's getting a full diagnostic today so they should find out if that is it. My engine is the 4.6L V8 efi. I'm hoping they get it sorted out for me. Much obliged for the information

Old 06-21-2014, 10:14 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
When I change the oil in my truck, I always notice this little what looks like a small black plastic vacuum line that is beside the filter. I try to take care not to break it when I change the filter. Take a look and see if this is your issue.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:39 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
A vacuum line cannot cause an electrical fault.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:14 AM
no , but whatever it runs to may throw a code if it's not getting a vac signal

though I doubt it would cause the dasiy chain of code the o-p posted

Quick Reply: Oil Change gone wrong