Injector melted piston??? 2006 5.4 3V

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Injector melted piston??? 2006 5.4 3V

ok guys, well I posted a few day ago regarding an engine rebuild I was doing to my father's truck due to a melted piston. I screwed up on the timing while the motor was on the engine stand and stuck it in the truck like that, and later found out the timing was off. yesterday I redid the timing the right way and luckily no damage was done to the valve train. Now my problem is that its making a constant ticking noise from the driver's side bank at idle and while revving. I should also mention that the melted piston was on the "driver's rear-most cylinder"; would an injector cause this kind of issue? any help would be very appreciated, I just want to get this piece of **** running right. by the way the truck has 225,000 miles and the motor was bored .030 and completely rebuilt, the heads also received a fresh up.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you had the timing off meaning the timing chains were not set properly then there is a very good chance that a valve is bent. Perform a compression test or better yet a leakdown test. Any codes?

Old 01-16-2012, 07:15 AM
Screw ford injectors

Old 01-16-2012, 07:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by RAMkiller
ok guys, well I posted a few day ago regarding an engine rebuild I was doing to my father's truck due to a melted piston. I screwed up on the timing while the motor was on the engine stand and stuck it in the truck like that, and later found out the timing was off. yesterday I redid the timing the right way and luckily no damage was done to the valve train. Now my problem is that its making a constant ticking noise from the driver's side bank at idle and while revving. I should also mention that the melted piston was on the "driver's rear-most cylinder"; would an injector cause this kind of issue? any help would be very appreciated, I just want to get this piece of **** running right. by the way the truck has 225,000 miles and the motor was bored .030 and completely rebuilt, the heads also received a fresh up.
How much have you driven/run this?
Might be a lifter that hasn't full oil pressure yet? or a exhaust leak?
the lifter thing, is if you haven't driven or run it much at all.

have you changed the oil filter & oil yet?
have you checkd out the injector recall....https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...ram-07m08.html yes, yours is 06 but certainly couldn't hurt

other thoughts,
presume that you had all new phasers and guides replaced with the Overhaul....but did the shop make sure the oil gallies were cleaned out after the machine work was done?

From what I understand there are some mesh like, dare I say filters, on the phasers that can become clogged/restricted and compromise oil flow/pressure to the phaser for limited/ proper functioning. this is a extreme thing I'm suggesting. good news the phasers can be taken out and rechecked without tearing down, or removing the whole engine again. But there is work involved.

maybe chatt with machine shop about the possibilities

Old 01-16-2012, 10:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 5.4L 3V is a non-interference motor. You cannot bend a valve because the timing is off. This is not the case on the 2V motors but on the 3V there is no interference between the valve and the piston even with the stock flat-top pistons.

As far as the ticking goes did you replace all the lash adjusters? Did you thoroughly inspect the rocker arm rollers? With 175K on mine just about all of my lash adjusters were shot and I had two stuck rollers.

The injectors on these motors can tick and sometimes pretty loudly. How loud is this ticking? Did you replace all the injectors? Even though you have a 2006 I would be careful reusing the injectors. You never know if some of the bad batch in 2005 made it into 06. I have seen a couple occasions on here where 06's had bad injectors like the 05's.

You also may just be experiencing the dreaded Phaser knock on that bank. Did you replace the Phaser and VCT solenoids when you rebuilt it? I hope you at least put new phasers on it during the rebuild. Even if you did if you had to take it apart a second time to get the timing right the phasers are very easy to damage if you put any force on them.

By the way what was wrong with your timing? You stated in your other post that you had the chain marks lined up correctly. Did you slip a tooth at some point after you got the front timing cover on?

Old 01-16-2012, 10:10 AM
Electron- basically i was stupud about it and forgot that the cams have a left and right side to them and accidentally put both the cams on the "L side". No damage whatsoever was done to the valves. And i can rule out exhaust leak because i got brand new MOTORCRAFT manifolds and torqued the bolts down good I looked for one anyways and couldn't find one. I have only driven the truck for maybe 3 miles but i've let it run for about an hour. Would the injector have anything to do with the noise? The noise is sort of a dead tap but its loud enough to be heard outside while idleing and accelerating. Also it happens cold and hot but when its cold it seems to be weaker.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Enriched- i performed all the work on the engine and heads and I am 100% sure everything was cleaned prior to assembly. I did see those little screen things on the VCT solenoids and cleaned them thoroughly when i put the heads in the washer. Do you think the injector really did cause my piston to melt and is now causing issues again with the rebuilt motor?

Old 01-16-2012, 10:16 AM
Btw. Its pretty much a new motor. All new bearings, pistons & rings (bored .030) blah blah blah. Yall get it. And I did fill it with CASTROL SYN BLEND. synthetic 5-20. Wix filter because i dont trust anything else

Old 01-16-2012, 10:22 AM
Forgot to mention that the phasers were not replaced but I did inspect them and the pins were in good shape

Old 01-16-2012, 02:38 PM
ok guys I drove the truck for about 100 miles today and it has developed a shake at idle, it runs very rough in park or in gear but if I give it some gas in neutral it clears up and runs alright for a while.

It came up with two DTC codes
(P0022"A" Camshaft Position Timing Over Retarded Bank 2)

(P0175 System Too Rich Bank 2)

I am 100% sure I got the timing right this time and I don't believe cam phasers could have been damaged in anyway... VCT solenoids were thoroughly cleaned prior to installation whats goin on here

Old 01-16-2012, 03:30 PM
ok here is a link to a video of the truck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFDcIU0kFS4

Old 01-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds rough....

I would change the oil filter again, reason being is that during the machining process there could get fine particles of grit that left in the nook and crannys as it has now run a fair bit the oil could have flushed it through to the filter...& compromise the filter effectiveness very quickly...like wise the possibility on those vct solenoids. NOT say that is it but certainly couldn't hurt to check. maybe new phaser and VCT solenoid on that side or a dead lifter or 2 on that side

I would tend to agree with compression test could yield more answers.

with codes that are tripped sure does seen to indicate a over fueling issue. p175

Old 01-18-2012, 01:03 AM
ok guys so here is the plan. I spoke with electron today and gave me some thorough insight as to what my problem could be. He seems to be dead on with the truck's symptoms so what I am going to do is replace the phasers and remove, clean, and replace the VCT "valve bodies" if thats what you want to call them... Im going to spend $276 + shipping on ROCKAUTO for a pair of phasers made by DORMAN... are those good quality parts? anyway I will get those ordered tomorrow and when I get them I'll post updates...

here's some food for thought though, here is a pic of the melted piston

Old 01-18-2012, 01:12 AM
scratch that just bought the last two from amazon for a total of $237.26 shipped.
BTW the part number is Dorman 917-250

Old 01-18-2012, 09:35 AM
New injectors

I would at least replace the fuel injector on the burnt cylinder.
Electron-Jack also has a VERY valid point on the roller rockers. The 3V motor has a much smaller rocker arm and much smaller bearing. The smaller bearing has to carry a much higher load and these do not last much over 200K. I would double check the rockers and lash adjuster while I had the valve covers off. Did you ever find out what caused the burnt piston in the first place?

Quick Reply: Injector melted piston??? 2006 5.4 3V