Slightly confused. Need a second opinion (intake)

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 10:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Slightly confused. Need a second opinion (intake)

I'm replacing the gaskets on my intake of my lighting 5.4.

RH cylinder head @ back, has a port that I can not see into, my fat head doesn't fit into the firewall to look down it and confirm what i suspect it to be. This matches the gasket fine, throw the gasket onto the intake manifold and it runs into a blank, which appears to be scabbed on.

Please help. I will add pictures, I'm thinking that its wrong, but then it could be fine and I'm just jumping for no reason.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:43 PM

Cyl head, between the two bolts. I assume water passage, right next to the square water passage.

Intake. obviously goes nowhere for that passage.

I wouldnt get excited if it didnt match up with the cyl head though.

This is what I mean by obvious addition to that corner of the intake

Last edited by Klitch; 04-24-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It goes no where. Not sure why it was casted into the heads but I asked this same question a while back with concerns as to where it went. Heres a pic i took of mine when it was in question...

I had my engine out and could see where it exited at the bottom of the head, went nowhere. Oddly though, the pic I am showing has the intake installed and the intake doesnt even cover that hole..

Not sure why someone has added that extra piece onto your intake? My pic is from a 00 5.4L, maybe the lightning used that for something, looks different

May have something to do with the heads being casted the same in reverse. Maybe it was used up front on the drivers head but in the passenger head was not. Bet that's it.

Last edited by Toyz; 04-25-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:15 AM
It is used on the drivers head, its right under the t-stat, but I cant figure out for the life of me why the intake wouldn't use that passage. Then again I cant get my fat head in there to see what that passage even looks like in the head.

So that passage in the head, does nothing on that side, so the intakes modification wasn't needed?

But its nice to hear that someone else has noticed this too. Even better to hear that it goes nowhere

I can slam it together now and change my o2's

Last edited by Klitch; 04-25-2011 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:30 AM
The pic I have shown, where you see the arrow facing downward is where it exits. Into nothing. I thought maybe I was missing a hose there or something is why I asked about it. But was informed (now that I remember) that it was due to the heads being casted the same and it was not used in the rear of the RH head. You can see it in your very first pic, that bulge just below it on the head with a slight angle is where it comes out. That's why it's so clean, it doesn't get used.

That hose is original, one of the heater lines I believe and feeds off the rear square coolant passage as you can see from the pic you have of the under side of the intake. The ear that was added on, must have broke at one time and was fixed.

Last edited by Toyz; 04-25-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:39 AM
Sweet man, thank you! I can worry less now and get it together in a few hours.

Another stab at Troyers "mechanical" problem I supposedly have. No evidence of a vac leak.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:44 AM
Ah, fun stuff in this nasty NW weather. If you just happen to misplace the intake and supercharger and they end up in a box shipped to Oregon, I won't be mad if they show up on my porch

J/K

Good luck

Trending Topics

Old 04-25-2011, 03:49 AM
You wouldn't want this intake, its been repaired, though looks like it was done well.

It hasn't been too nasty yet, little windy but fortunately I was able to sneak into my brothers shop when he was out of town

I dunno how that red truck got in there, but I'll work on getting it out

Thanks again Toyz.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Technical Article Contributor

The cyl heads are interchangable prior to cyl head assembly at the plant. So the hole you see on the rear of the passengerside cyl head would be at the front of a driverside cyl head. The heads are cast the same, cam installation etc. dictates left or right assembly and installation.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yea, the non-PI's are the same way -

Old 04-25-2011, 02:02 PM
I see this now, just when in middle of putting it all together I got all excited thinking what the hell! why is this piece added on to the intake and its above a passage on the head..

Guess I had a moment, should have realized the heads were the same casting.

Quick Reply: Slightly confused. Need a second opinion (intake)