Your thoughts on converting clutch fan to electrical fan

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 06:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your thoughts on converting clutch fan to electrical fan

I have a 1997 F-150 4X4. 4.6L, automatic, with AC. I live in hot Arizona and tow a heavy boat. Last year my clutch fan went out so I replaced it. This new clutch really revs high and seems to spin even when not needed, like first thing in the morning when it's cool, etc. Makes a really loud blowing noise most all the time. I can tell that it is putting unecessary strain on the motor, it even affects my shifting pattern, truck seems to stay in low gear and shift harder than before. Will change to and electric fan help this? I want to be sure I stay cool enough when towing and not waste gas. Any types or brands of electric fan better than others?? Thanx !

Old 04-25-2011, 11:42 PM
Ya for sure plus you lose that extra weight and strain on the motor. I put a Lincoln Navigator fan on my truck when i swapped a lightning motor in my truck. I just made some mounting bracket and wired the fan for high speed in my truck to a switch so i flip it on and leave it one all the time with no strain on the motor and keeping it cooler. I paid like $30 bucks for the fan in a junk yard cant beat that compared to a efan or flexalite they run a couple hundred bucks. As for brands im pretty sure they are all the same just depends on the size and the blades and brand name kinda deal. hope this helps mine works great and was cheap

Old 04-25-2011, 11:59 PM
Its a noticeable difference. I too live in Phx (Mesa) and have had a flexalite #270 fan for 3+ years on my '97 4.6 with zero issues. I still have my original fan as a backup in the garage (paranoia) but dont think I'll be needing it . If you do install e-fans make sure to install the controller in a fairly cool place out of the way and SOLDER ALL CONNECTIONS. One of the best mods I've done lots of fun.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on converting clutch fan to electrical fan