What plugs to get ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 12:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do NOT run Champion plugs

OK, here's the deal:

Once you get your stock plugs out without incident (try aerokroil), I recommend a one piece plug or the updated Motorcraft plug (the 14 heat range plug, not the 1 or the 2).

Also, do not run the Champions. I ran these when they first came on the market and two plugs failed (the porcelain broke and slid to cover the electrode). This failure occurred almost immediately after install (within 100 miles). Champions are the cheap lawnmower plugs that used to be $0.99 a piece. They did have some good race-only plugs though (about 40 years ago).

I am running the Brisk Racing plugs. I changed to the Brisk at approximately 50K and my motor now has 120K. I just checked the gap on the plugs and they are still within tolerance (1.1 MM) and the motor is running fine. The Brisk will last a long time regardless of what you may have been told.

Good luck. I understand the tool for extracting the plug electrode half works very well, but hopefully you wont need it.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:03 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by wseand
I got the Bosch 4304 any complaints on those. 2000 5.4 L
Yea those would be the worst plugs on the market for your model. What makes those so bad is that they fall apart inside the cylinders. Guess where the pieces go ?

Old 06-27-2011, 04:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
Yea those would be the worst plugs on the market for your model. What makes those so bad is that they fall apart inside the cylinders. Guess where the pieces go ?
Uh... out the tail pipe??? Oh, wait, I guess they can't get that far can they? With as little as Ford's break (certainly in your case), what would the mechanics have to work on if not for BOTCH plugs?

Old 06-27-2011, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by code58
Uh... out the tail pipe??? Oh, wait, I guess they can't get that far can they?
That's possible, if the pieces are smaller than the cat cone. - And if your lucky lol. I'd worry more about valve damage. They may get sucked thru the one of the valves but, the piece(s) could then fall/bounce back and get caught between valve and seat.

Originally Posted by code58
With as little as Ford's break (certainly in your case), what would the mechanics have to work on if not for BOTCH plugs?
Right

Last edited by jbrew; 06-27-2011 at 04:43 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:03 PM
Champion plugs are OK. There are many of us on this and several other sites who have been running them with no problems. I now have 24,000+ miles on mine with zero issues. Earlier on, there were sporadic problems reported. But, I am not hearing any complaints in the last two years. You do have to gap them at 0.045" as the ones I installed all had different gaps from the box. I will probably run them to 50,000-60,000 miles. Good luck.

HYPO

Old 06-28-2011, 02:56 AM

Don't believe everything you read and only half of what you see.

Simple facts, Champions have a failure rate of being unpredictable. They can fail right after install, shortly after install or they may last 5000 miles. Like I said, that's the facts. If you able to run them, chances are that your engine isn't running at its full potential.

So why chance it ? I know, the Motorcraft may separate upon removal. With the Lisle Tool, this is no longer that much of a set back.

IMO, you should only run plugs that have been proven in the past. Champions are hit & miss (no pun intended). Plugs shouldn't be categorized and judged based on install, more-so on performance and longevity.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Don't believe everything you read and only half of what you see.

Simple facts, Champions have a failure rate of being unpredictable. They can fail right after install, shortly after install or they may last 5000 miles. Like I said, that's the facts. If you able to run them, chances are that your engine isn't running at its full potential.

So why chance it ? I know, the Motorcraft may separate upon removal. With the Lisle Tool, this is no longer that much of a set back.

IMO, you should only run plugs that have been proven in the past. Champions are hit & miss (no pun intended). Plugs shouldn't be categorized and judged based on install, more-so on performance and longevity.
"Don't believe everything you read and only half of what you see." JBrew, 6/28/11

Does that statement include you? Oh come on, Brew. Can you ever get off this Champ-bashing bandwagon?

What's the average now for the MC plugs... how many out of 8 break, I mean? Even if you say 20 percent, that's MILLIONS of MC plugs that have FAILED. So many that a huge class action lawsuit is brewing (no pun intended). How many guys that have had to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on plug changes do you think would say, "Oh yeah, them Motorcrafts are GREAT!"

How many Champion failures can you come up with? And if they do in fact fail, how much collateral damage do they cause?

And then we hear you make EXCUSES for the MC plugs saying, "Oh yeah, no problem, if it breaks off, just go buy a $70 tool and bust your butt for a coupla hours, or pay some shop tech $100 per plug to do it." Makes no sense, man. Loyalty is a good thing but BLIND loyalty....????

Use what spark plug you like. The bone I pick here is over the blanket statements based on very few facts. Once in a while, you see somebody here (or elsewhere) talk about Champion problems. How often do we talk about MC problems here? Practically a daily basis. "Hoorah! 6 out of 8 of my MCs came out without breaking!" Yeah, everybody DANCE!

Last edited by JimAllen; 06-28-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by JimAllen
"Don't believe everything you read and only half of what you see." JBrew, 6/28/11

Does that statement include you? Oh come on, Brew. Can you ever get off this Champ-bashing bandwagon?

What's the average now for the MC plugs... how many out of 8 break, I mean? Even if you say 20 percent, that's MILLIONS of MC plugs that have FAILED. So many that a huge class action lawsuit is brewing (no pun intended). How many guys that have had to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on plug changes do you think would say, "Oh yeah, them Motorcrafts are GREAT!"

How many Champion failures can you come up with? And if they do in fact fail, how much collateral damage do they cause?

And then we hear you make EXCUSES for the MC plugs saying, "Oh yeah, no problem, if it breaks off, just go buy a $70 tool and bust your butt for a coupla hours, or pay some shop tech $100 per plug to do it." Makes no sense, man. Loyalty is a good thing but BLIND loyalty....????

Use what spark plug you like. The bone I pick here is over the blanket statements based on very few facts. Once in a while, you see somebody here (or elsewhere) talk about Champion problems. How often do we talk about MC problems here? Practically a daily basis. "Hoorah! 6 out of 8 of my MCs came out without breaking!" Yeah, everybody DANCE!
No, you can trust me. If I get it wrong, I admit it. I'm not here. You on the other hand, you know there's been more than just handful of guys having problems with Champions, yet you keep pushing them like their the greatest plug on the market. They're working for you, congratulations. It's to bad that can't be said for everyone. That's the truth about these plugs and that's where my posts on the topic come from. At least I haven't made anything up lol.

It comes down to this right here, -

From a RESPECTED tech on this site,-

Question: Champion 7989 plugs yes or no?

Originally Posted by Quintin
They work in some trucks but not all of them.
__________________________________________________ ____________

- Another thing JA.. No one in their right mind pays thousands of dollars for a plug change,-your high. The average plug change will cost between 300-350 + 50 -80 per plug if they break.

Like I said -

Here's just a few miscellaneous posts real quick. I'm not going to post them all there JA. Plenty more, search.
__________________________________________________ ______________
Originally Posted by DVD_FX4
2004 f150 5.4L

Avoid the Champions at all costs.

I installed a set of these new Champions a few months ago. Within one day, two of the plugs failed due to broken ceramics (the white insulator was sliding up and down on the center electrode) making the truck undrivable.

Originally Posted by Intimidator317
old thread but still an issue...
e3 3.70 plugs failed in 3 weeks, champion plugs seem to have lost there power

looks like Brisk plugs are only good 1 pc option

anyone who has used them please share results

Originally Posted by Ford12508

Many people who have the 5.4L engine swear by OEM motorcraft, stating that all other plugs have problems down the line even if they run fine in the beginning. I don't know the truth to that, buy I have talked to a few people who have had trouble when they changed over to E3 or champions(I think those were the 2 anyway)

Originally Posted by PaulR

I have an 05 F150. Enough said.

The only problems I've ever had with bad plugs/misfires are the Champion Truck plugs and the E3's.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Etcetera and so forth.....

That's the way I see it, so stuff it if you can't handle it. Only thing you have to stand on is that the Motorcraft may break upon removal. You can trust your engine to go the distance with a Motorcraft plug, which is something all of us can't do with a Champion plug.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:32 PM
ok, im with you on the Motorcraft plugs......why are hey impossible to find in town? except at the dealer for $26 a pop?

Old 07-11-2011, 07:50 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by mandofire
ok, im with you on the Motorcraft plugs......why are hey impossible to find in town? except at the dealer for $26 a pop?
IDK.....check out www.rockauto.com less than half of 26 even with shipping...

Old 07-12-2011, 06:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 88racing
IDK.....check out www.rockauto.com less than half of 26 even with shipping...
X2
Great customer service and a reasonable price, even with paying a little extra for shipping!

Old 07-12-2011, 01:20 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Assuming you have a 5.4, the SP-515 double platinums are $9.12 each plus shipping at rockauto.com.

Quick Reply: What plugs to get ?