1st time ever 98 F150 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st time ever 98 F150 won't start

Started it this morning to back it out of the garage. Tried to start a few hour later and all I get is a loud click. Lights all work fine. Tried jumping it but still just a loud click. Replaced the battery two years ago and the alternator 3 years ago so I know it isn't teither of those.

Raining cats and dogs right now but when it stops I'll check for ground wire connection. Can a starter just go out all at once? Never had a problem starting from day one.

Thanks,

Ron

Old 08-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Originally Posted by Ron98F150
Started it this morning to back it out of the garage. Tried to start a few hour later and all I get is a loud click. Lights all work fine. Tried jumping it but still just a loud click. Replaced the battery two years ago and the alternator 3 years ago so I know it isn't teither of those.

Raining cats and dogs right now but when it stops I'll check for ground wire connection. Can a starter just go out all at once? Never had a problem starting from day one.

Thanks,

Ron
Have you ever replaced your starter? I had to do it on mine when it was 6 years old due to the same problem. It did not start, started 15 minutes later with no changes, but I replaced the starter just to be safe and it worked great for a year till I wrecked it.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:43 PM
Never replaced the starter. Never had a single problem starting until today. I always thought starters went bad gradually. True? Not true?

Ron

Old 08-21-2010, 02:56 PM
Never replaced the starter. Never had a single problem starting until today. I always thought starters went bad gradually. True? Not true?

Ron
My situation happened when I had to be at a wedding 10 miles away that day. Thank God it started the second time. My mechanic told me to change the starter to be safe.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:25 PM
I just went out and played around with it and all wires are connected and not corroded so it's not that. I think the sound is more like a mufled clunk coming from the firewall area,if that makes any sense. Still can't understand how something just dies all of a sudden.

Ron

Old 08-21-2010, 03:47 PM
i had a similar issue with my 98 exploder 5.0. never had a starting issue. Started it one saturday morning went to the gas station and it wouldn't restart. Had to sit in the freakin gas station lot dropping the started. There's a little ground strap on the started that had fallen apart. Corrosion got the best of it.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ford starters last a long long time. My guess is its the firewall relay the one right next to the battery. Short the big post to the small post with the key in the on position if it starts your problem is the relay.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by jethat
Ford starters last a long long time. My guess is its the firewall relay the one right next to the battery. Short the big post to the small post with the key in the on position if it starts your problem is the relay.
Just got back from Auto Zone where they tested the firewall relay and found it was NG. I had them test the new one I was going to buy and it was NG as well. Tried a 2nd one that worked and brought it home and installed it. Still won't start! Changing out the starter is all I know to do at this point.

Ron

Old 08-21-2010, 07:15 PM
did you short the posts? could be a connection I would take all battery cable off and clean them on both sides on the engine connect side to. Check the starter cables especially they corrode pretty bad especially in snow areas.. road salt.. Be careful taking the connector bolts off on the starter The corrode and break. Especially on one that old..

Old 08-21-2010, 07:19 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
It's probably the solenoid on the starter itself - or corrosion. I'm pretty sure now you may be looking at a starter. They don't last forever.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:05 PM
Originally Posted by glc
It's probably the solenoid on the starter itself - or corrosion. I'm pretty sure now you may be looking at a starter. They don't last forever.
I hear ya, but with only 83k miles I wouldn't have guessed the starter would be going bad so soon.

Ron

Old 08-21-2010, 11:21 PM
I hear ya, but with only 83k miles I wouldn't have guessed the starter would be going bad so soon.

Ron
mileage is kind of irrelevant when it come to corrosion. The truck is going on 13 years old..

Old 08-21-2010, 11:58 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine was corrosion at 5yrs and 40k miles. I suggest removing the oem cable and checking all of the leads for integrity.

Old 08-22-2010, 02:41 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yea, it's most likely just the wires down low. I've never had a Ford starter go out, -but I broke enough of them. Glad theirs a lifetime warranty, - They updated the starters a couple years ago, -Via TSB. They all come pig tailed in the box, - that's so you won't need a 10mm to install it .

Seriously, - it's so Bosch isn't throwing you another starter every other year.

Do you have a meter ? You can check continuity real quick. -

Measure the resistance between the starter relay to starter solenoid positive cable.

If resistance is less than 5 ohms, - replace starter relay.

If not, replace the circuit in question.

Old 08-22-2010, 07:56 PM
Problem fixed with a new starter. The wiring coming out of the starter was completely corroded off. Bought a rebuilt one and she purrs like a kitten again. I have to say that the top bolt was the hardest to get out seeing it was in the blind. Per normal, it went back together much faster then taking it out.
Thanks to everyone for the comments/suggestions!

Ron

Quick Reply: 1st time ever 98 F150 won't start