Thinking of rebuilding my 4.6 tell me if this sounds stupid.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 02:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thinking of rebuilding my 4.6 tell me if this sounds stupid.

I have a 2000 4.6L 4x4 and the passenger head gasket is failing and leaking oil which drips on the exhaust pipe between the exhaust manifold and cat, but not leaking collent, trucks still runs great, I have been considering getting a rebuild. the engine only has 105 000 miles 175 000 KM I have owned since new, never touched any seals or bearings, never missed an oil change. if it wasn't for the head gasket failure, then engine can easily handel way more milage. But for the cost of rebuild and cost of just get a head gasket addressed. I thinking of do a rebuild.

I found a place that has a good rep, they want $2800 plus tax out the door. This is in Cnadian funds in Canada Toronto area. includes pulling the engine rebuilding the engine with parts and putting it all back together. Plus a ONE YEAR UNLIMITED MILAGE WARRENTY

This is what I get with the rebuild.

Every gasket from the head covers to the the oil pan, rebuilt heads, machined crank, new pistons, I think the reuse the connecting rod not sure.
new timing chain,

I forgot to ask about new exhasut manifolds is it typical to get new exhaust manifolds when you get a rebuild done.

It doesn't include new injectors, But I was thinking to have them install a new set or injector o rings to be safe, what do you think?

Also, I want to have them put on a nice set of CNC machined alluminum pullys and some nice aftermarket valve covers.......

although I haven't found any valve covers for a 2000 4.6L truck engine, will after market mustang valve cover worked.

a set that has "Powered By Ford" would be cool. If so who sells them?????? I checked summit racing...no go.

do you know anyone who could do the simlay rebuild cheaper or is this sounds good. I am will to have it done in the states or take it somewhere far number one concern is qualified techs doing the work.

Last edited by JoryWLU; 03-02-2010 at 02:50 AM. Reason: forgot something
Old 03-02-2010, 03:54 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd rather spen half that and get a nice used 4.6 out of a junk yard. You could get for $1400 an engine out of a 2005 with 25k or maybe even less.. Last persons to see the insides of it was Ford an in general they built these motors right I trust them more then what ever engine shop..
For $2800 I'd just pay the dealer to fix the engine you have its in good shape you've taken care of it. Probably last you another 200k with that gasket fixed..

Old 03-02-2010, 06:51 AM
I would rather spend the extra money on a rebuild then a junk yard motor that you have no idea how it was taken car of!
That's not a bad price for pulling , rebuilding and reinstalling the motor.
But I would go a little further and swap to a 5.4 wile your at it.

Summit has plenty of valve covers for your truck.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/P...?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

Phil

Old 03-02-2010, 05:56 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Just drive it and keep adding oil. Where in Ontario are you?

Old 03-02-2010, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keep an eye on craigslist, my gf just picked up a 5.4 and trans with 98k miles for $300, nothing wrong but were rebuilding it anyways

Old 03-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Originally Posted by JMC
Just drive it and keep adding oil. Where in Ontario are you?

I am from Alliston, around the Barrie area.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by jethat
I'd rather spen half that and get a nice used 4.6 out of a junk yard. You could get for $1400 an engine out of a 2005 with 25k or maybe even less.. Last persons to see the insides of it was Ford an in general they built these motors right I trust them more then what ever engine shop..
For $2800 I'd just pay the dealer to fix the engine you have its in good shape you've taken care of it. Probably last you another 200k with that gasket fixed..
But to fix the one gasket is at least 1500, and then 6 months from now the other gasket goes. Oil pan could start leaking, my rear main seal is leaking. a used motor is 1500 plus I need to pay someone to swap them. Plus I will have to do my timing chains, It is just too much money to too little work, Build seems great bang for the dollar, and I know my block and everything is mint, so I wont be taking chances. Plus ONE YEAR UNLIMITED milage warrenty. That warrenty is priceless itself.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:42 PM
Lets say you do go the rebuild route, and 18 months from now the head, intake, oil pan and front cover are leaking, what do you do?

I'd just get the head gasket fixed.....

Old 03-03-2010, 12:49 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JoryWLU
I am from Alliston, around the Barrie area.
Too far for you to come to Windsor so you can see the oil leak in mine. Both heads are leaking. I just add oil.....

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 03-03-2010, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by Ed753
Lets say you do go the rebuild route, and 18 months from now the head, intake, oil pan and front cover are leaking, what do you do?

I'd just get the head gasket fixed.....
I am not an expert but you guys seem very cautious about a rebuild, what typically goes wrong with bebuild, everything is done by hand, so if the guy working on it is doing a proper job it should be better then the factory.

If it doesn't leak in the first year, it should be solid. What experiences have you had.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:48 PM
had the same problem with my '99 at 99k...good thing i bought the extended warranty from ford it only cost me 50 bucks

Old 03-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by JMC
Too far for you to come to Windsor so you can see the oil leak in mine. Both heads are leaking. I just add oil.....

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier
Does your oil get one the exhaust, if you shut of the truck does the engine bay smoke?

Old 03-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by JoryWLU
I am not an expert but you guys seem very cautious about a rebuild, what typically goes wrong with bebuild, everything is done by hand, so if the guy working on it is doing a proper job it should be better then the factory.

If it doesn't leak in the first year, it should be solid. What experiences have you had.
Sometimes(most of the time) on a rebuild, there needs to be some machine work done because the parts can wear at different rates. Usually thee cylinders need to be bored at least .30 over the original size, and sometimes the crank, and rods need machine work also. You have to be pretty meticulous to build an engine right.
When they come from the factory , they all came from castings, so they are pretty well matched up for fit.

Edit: I forgot to mention the heads. They always need a lot of attention.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Have you tried retorquing the heads? I'd do that first see if you can stop the leak that way PM Dynotech for the details on how to do that. He has said that is sometimes successful in stopping oil leaks from the head..

Old 03-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by jethat
Have you tried retorquing the heads? I'd do that first see if you can stop the leak that way PM Dynotech for the details on how to do that. He has said that is sometimes successful in stopping oil leaks from the head..
To retouqe the heads, is all I have to do is remove the valve cover to get access to the head bolts or is there a lot more invovled. My friend told me if I retourqe the bolts have to be backed off then retighten not just trying to torque them down from where they are.

Quick Reply: Thinking of rebuilding my 4.6 tell me if this sounds stupid.