Thinking of rebuilding my 4.6 tell me if this sounds stupid.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tumba
Sometimes(most of the time) on a rebuild, there needs to be some machine work done because the parts can wear at different rates. Usually thee cylinders need to be bored at least .30 over the original size, and sometimes the crank, and rods need machine work also. You have to be pretty meticulous to build an engine right.
When they come from the factory , they all came from castings, so they are pretty well matched up for fit.

Edit: I forgot to mention the heads. They always need a lot of attention.
The shop that quoted me 2800 does rebuild the head, and they machine everything. I am not sure about the boring. As far as rebuilders go they are as good as they come. My friend did his 302 mustang engine from them and didn't have the problems. They told me that even with all the parts in stock it will take at least 4 days to take it out rebuild it and put it back in.

Here is the website for the place. Let me know what you think

www.aerohill.com

Old 03-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JoryWLU
To retouqe the heads, is all I have to do is remove the valve cover to get access to the head bolts or is there a lot more invovled. My friend told me if I retourqe the bolts have to be backed off then retighten not just trying to torque them down from where they are.
Thats pretty much right. Dynotech knows the proceedure. Send him a pm He'll help you through it. Its worth a shot..

Old 03-04-2010, 02:11 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Does your oil get one the exhaust, if you shut of the truck does the engine bay smoke?
No and no. The leaks drip down the side of the head and on to the block in such a way that it doesn't drip on the exhaust. I have all the gaskets and a set of head bolts ready to do the job. I just couldn't be bothered. It runs just fine with the leak and the oil never gets dirty between changes. One of these days I just might off my lazy **** and try tightening the head bolts.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not an expert but you guys seem very cautious about a rebuild, what typically goes wrong with rebuild, everything is done by hand, so if the guy working on it is doing a proper job it should be better then the factory.

If it doesn't leak in the first year, it should be solid. What experiences have you had.
OK, let me put it another way......

You want to spend $2,800 plus, plus, plus on a truck that is worth about $5,000

How many times are you going to hear, "you need one of these too", "It broke in my hand upon disassembly", "you might as well replace this too, while we have it apart"......

Now you are looking at $3,500 for a truck when your done is worth $5,000.

That is why I recommend just repairing it.

Old 03-14-2010, 01:47 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Contact these people and ask for a quote. http://kraushaarmachine.com/
But for that kind of coin I would get a low mileage 5.4 and shove it in.
The left over $$ would go towards something else.

Quick Reply: Thinking of rebuilding my 4.6 tell me if this sounds stupid.