I need a diagnosis, no OBD

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need a diagnosis, no OBD

Finally finished my 2weeks of work on the truck. Everything works great, but after test driving for 20 minutes, engine light comes on.

Here's what I did:

1) R&R the tranny, and had it professionally rebuilt. O2 sensors are all connected, but something might've got damaged, even though everything is in good shape.

2) Replaced the exhaust manifolds with some BBK headers. Did have an exhaust leak, but is now completely sealed.

3) EGR tube replaced with custom tube. No leaks. But vacuum lines are connected a little differently, but basically very close.

4) Dip stick tube replaced after being broken off at the block. New tube fits a little loose, so I'm not sure if its taking a low pressure reading on the crankcase.

Any ideas? I'd rather not buy a reader if I can get away with it. Or take it to a stealership for them to diagnose. Guess I could try the voltmeter trick.

Appreciate any help I can get.

Last edited by fordification; 11-12-2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless you are into parts swapping at random and praying that that method works, get a scanner somehow.

Voltmeter trick was a 1994-earlier thing for 1/2-tons.

Old 11-12-2008, 07:57 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, I'd offer advice, but since I'm automatically a crook because I work for a "stealership," I'll defer this to people who are honest and upstanding and willing to help you. <insert massive amounts of sarcasm...*here*>

But while I'm here, I'd like to know what you do for a living, so I can make stupid generalizations about your field.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:36 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Who installed the tranny? Did they cross the O2 sensors when putting the harness back on? Did they misroute the harness and allow it to contact the exhaust? Did they pinch the harness when installing the transmission?

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 11-13-2008, 02:03 AM
Borrowed a friends reader.

Looks like it was #3 on the list.
P-0401
Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected

It for some reason doesn't like my brothers connections.
Can anyone see why? The vacuum lines are connected a little differently but could this cause a restriction?

Old 11-13-2008, 02:12 AM
Anyone explain why there is 2 vacuum lines? I think they maybe conflicting each other.

EGR valve probably isn't opening.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:53 AM
Received 104 Likes on 97 Posts
Uh, what happened to the orifice that was in your original EGR tube?

Without that, you'll never get it to work.

Don't take this the wrong way, but do you understand how EGR flow is measured on Ford's system? If not, go to www.motorcraftservice.com and download the OBDII manual for your model year truck. It contains a basic description of how it works.

Steve

Last edited by projectSHO89; 11-13-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Uh, what happened to the orifice that was in your original EGR tube?

Without that, you'll never get it to work.

Don't take this the wrong way, but do you understand how EGR flow is measured on Ford's system? If not, go to www.motorcraftservice.com and download the OBDII manual for your model year truck. It contains a basic description of how it works.

Steve
wow, I sure f#$ked that up. Guess I should of researched that a bit more. Too many things on the mind.

Thanks for the ref man!!

Actually we had provisions for reconnecting the tube with the extended flex line, but decided not because of length. So I have the fittings, just have to reconnected/reroute.

Quick Reply: I need a diagnosis, no OBD