Will Ford blow it on the new light diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will Ford blow it on the new light diesel?

Ford has been talking about the small diesel for too long. They are going to lose their competitive jump. It is looking more and more like Chevy and Dodge will be ready and may even beat Ford to market. It also looks like the Chevy will have a huge advantage in torque, and that's what diesels are all about. Reportedly the Chevy will have almost a 100 ft/lb advantage. That's HUGE!! It looks like Ford is about to blow any timing advantage and will come to market with a less than competitive offering.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:48 PM
Suspended
Its not Fords fault, its Navistar. They have sued Ford yet another time, this one is about the diesel for the new F-150. Rumor had it that Ford wanted to use the diesel engine from Range Rover and once Navistar got ahold of that info they yet again launched a lawsuit.

Navistars lawsuit
http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/07/n...-diesel-engin/

Fords plan before all the drama
http://www.autoblog.com/2006/10/13/d...f-150-by-2009/

Old 07-22-2008, 04:17 PM
with diesel costing over $5 per gallon in CT, I dont care much about the evolution of a smaller deisel engine anyway. I wonder if its a winning proposition for Ford to even spend the time and dollars to build a small diesel.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by Les22
with diesel costing over $5 per gallon in CT, I dont care much about the evolution of a smaller deisel engine anyway. I wonder if its a winning proposition for Ford to even spend the time and dollars to build a small diesel.
The diesel will have a longer life, get better mpg and have more power. Not for all but it does have its advantages or all 3 manufacturers would not be rushing to the market with one

Old 07-22-2008, 04:30 PM
Originally Posted by scott1981
The diesel will have a longer life, get better mpg and have more power. Not for all but it does have its advantages or all 3 manufacturers would not be rushing to the market with one
AMEN. My honest opinion, looking at the way things are going, diesel is the wave of the future. Yes, diesel fuel price has gone up dramatically BUT you don't need to run diesel to run your diesel..... You can run damn near anything in those engines, and they keep chugging along. Just make sure to pay all necessary fed road tax and what not.

We are actually looking into becoming a back door bio-diesel station here at the shop. We have done numerous conversions for straight veggie oil and the people want it. The thing hanging us up is the federal BS, but the wiser men here are working that out as we speak.

Ford may have less power, but might have better fuel economy... which to many people would be the big "reasoning" behind the diesel anyways. Not sure what they are doing though. All there engines (power ratings at least)seem to be falling short of the competitions... so we'll see.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:07 PM
will the new diesels have the mileage sticker on the windows? just curious seeing as how the superduties didnt have one last time i checked. something about not meeting epa or along those affects.

ive been ecstatic since hearing that it may be remotely possible to buy an f150 with a diesel.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
f 250 -350 dont have to have mpg ratings. its all in the gross vehicle weight. i think.

Trending Topics

Old 07-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
I've never been a huge fan of small diesel engines in cars and light trucks, but - We took a trip to Great Britan a year ago and while there, we rode in or friend's Volkswagen diesel with turbocharger.

When he stepped on it in the motorway, that thing flat-out "jumped"! I could not believe the acceleration it had in traffic. Suddenly, I was a "convert". They've come a long way baby (since the first ones I remember riding in).

The "city diesel" fuel they have there is very clean-burning too. None of that black crap coming out of the tailpipe.

- Jack

Old 07-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Mercedes has developed the Blue TecH diesel, it supposedly will blow any "clean buring" diesel out of the water.

And have you driven the new ford's ? With the twin turbo... they actually have quite a bit of acceleration on tap. I was VERY pleasntly surprised... just didn't care for the price tag !

In small cars, you may not like em, but getting 40+mpg easy sure does sound appealing ! Damn Commie-fornia !

Old 07-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by acadianabob
Ford has been talking about the small diesel for too long. They are going to lose their competitive jump. It is looking more and more like Chevy and Dodge will be ready and may even beat Ford to market. It also looks like the Chevy will have a huge advantage in torque, and that's what diesels are all about. Reportedly the Chevy will have almost a 100 ft/lb advantage. That's HUGE!! It looks like Ford is about to blow any timing advantage and will come to market with a less than competitive offering.
yea i believe in 2010 ford will make a diesel in the f150

Old 07-22-2008, 10:23 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
The basic design has been in use overseas for several years now, and it seems to be a good engine. The hard part is that Ford is preparing to launch a diesel engine in a time and economy that isn't gonna be friendly to diesel powered vehicles. If they can overcome that somehow, then they'll really have a kick *** setup on their hands.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Quintin
The basic design has been in use overseas for several years now, and it seems to be a good engine. The hard part is that Ford is preparing to launch a diesel engine in a time and economy that isn't gonna be friendly to diesel powered vehicles. If they can overcome that somehow, then they'll really have a kick *** setup on their hands.
yea i drove a guys 6.4 twin turbo diesel today..15.1 mpg average...not to bad..but its sure as heck not good...if ford goes through with a diesel engine in the f150 then they need to make it small..like a I6 maybe like 4.0 or the v6 4.2 or so because if you need diesel that bad..then you get the 6.4 twin turbo...if you buy a half ton diesel..then you dont really need the power of a diesel that badly thats why i said a 4.0 ranger engine or a 4.2 half ton engine would work...dont need a 6.4 twin turbo in a f150 thatd be uncalled for..nobody would buy it because it would get horrible gas milage...4.0/4.2 inline 6 for a diesel engine in 2010 for the ford f150 perfect IMO

Old 07-23-2008, 02:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure what dodge and chevy have in mind but I've read that the 4.4L Lion Diesel engine will put out 330hp/520-30 ft lb/tq. I have a hard time imagining anyone getting more power out of an engine that small stock. I also can't wait for the 6.2L Boss engines. Talk about power. They are supposed to put out 425 hp/480 ftlb/tq stock.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:37 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
even if chev / mopar outperform the ford motor, i'd be interested in seeing the durability btwn them all

Old 07-23-2008, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by NastyNate
I'm not sure what dodge and chevy have in mind but I've read that the 4.4L Lion Diesel engine will put out 330hp/520-30 ft lb/tq. I have a hard time imagining anyone getting more power out of an engine that small stock. I also can't wait for the 6.2L Boss engines. Talk about power. They are supposed to put out 425 hp/480 ftlb/tq stock.
The latest news is that the 6.2 boss in the F150 got the axe... It's only going to replace the 6.8 V10 in the Super Duties

Quick Reply: Will Ford blow it on the new light diesel?