Will Ford blow it on the new light diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 03:02 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
imo ..yes.

the currnet 5.4 was new in 2004, 5 years latter, no improvement. can anyone tell me what the engine developmnet department at ford has been doing for the last 5 years?

the diesel should have been out in 07. this is what you do when you are number 1, you keep improving.

right now it is all about price and mpg, don't kid yourself and think that an engine that last past 200k miles will be a hot topic or a selling point that feeds the masses.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
imo ..yes.

the currnet 5.4 was new in 2004, 5 years latter, no improvement. can anyone tell me what the engine developmnet department at ford has been doing for the last 5 years?

the diesel should have been out in 07. this is what you do when you are number 1, you keep improving.

right now it is all about price and mpg, don't kid yourself and think that an engine that last past 200k miles will be a hot topic or a selling point that feeds the masses.
In 06 they did a big overhaul on the 5.4. Reportedly getting rid of any spark plug issues once and for all.

Disel should have been out a lot longer, but Ford has run into numerous problems, including a sue happy company.

The longevity of the diesel isn't the selling point (200k easy for a gasser, disel can last forever, literally, if taken care of ) the fact that you can fill up a 30 gallon tank for roughly $60, run your diesel and still get BETTER mpg's then a gasser might be a high selling point. Even if you don't run some "alternative" fuel in your diesel, your still looking at cheap fuel costs over a year. Better MPG's.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:46 PM
Ford and Navistar are [going to be] through...

I just read this in my new Four Wheeler magazine. I tried to find the article at Four Wheeler's website, but couldn't. Basically...

Spy photos were taken of the new F350. "Sources" say Ford has a new 6.7L V8 Scorpion Diesel going into the Super Duties in 2011. Ford's Scorpion engine is expected to permanently end Ford's longtime use of Navistar diesels in the SD's since 1982. The scorpion will also be mated to a 6 speed auto tranny. Their contract ends in 2012.

Here's a some more "talk" of it...

http://www.fomoconews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2079

Old 07-23-2008, 03:55 PM
I saw the pic, but didn't read the article... still gotta finish up the Peterson's mag and Crawl... damn i'm behind. Thanks for the heads up though MT, interesting stuff.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In 06 they did a big overhaul on the 5.4. Reportedly getting rid of any spark plug issues once and for all.
in my opion ford new they had a spark plug problem by 01, they should have corrected it when the new 3v head came out in 04, no excuse for me.

you can only have excuses for so long.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by BROTHERDAVE
in my opion ford new they had a spark plug problem by 01, they should have corrected it when the new 3v head came out in 04, no excuse for me.

you can only have excuses for so long.
I see your point, and I'll agree they dropped the ball. I am by no means a Ford Fanatic... heck, this is my FIRST ford i've owned.

But, you do know all the sparkplug problems are not the same, right ?

You know there first problems were that the spark plugs were popping out of the heads. Then, (i think it was for the 3v) they made the threads longer, so you couldn't pop em out, and instead, people were breaking them off inside the head, requiring extensive work to repair.

So, they knew they had a problem, a couple years later tried to fix it, but made it so too many morons were breaking them, and after a couple years, fixed it for good.

Have any idea how much red-tape they have to go through ? How much R&D thats involved ? how much $$ it costs em ? I think a couple years to fix sucha a serious problem isn't too outrageous (unless of course your an owner of one of these problematic engines)

also, just an , the 4.6 orginally had this problem as well, but was fixed with the newer 4.6 in 04 models.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by MercedesTech
I saw the pic, but didn't read the article... still gotta finish up the Peterson's mag and Crawl... damn i'm behind. Thanks for the heads up though MT, interesting stuff.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:24 PM
Suspended
Originally Posted by MudTerrain
I just read this in my new Four Wheeler magazine. I tried to find the article at Four Wheeler's website, but couldn't. Basically...

Spy photos were taken of the new F350. "Sources" say Ford has a new 6.7L V8 Scorpion Diesel going into the Super Duties in 2011. Ford's Scorpion engine is expected to permanently end Ford's longtime use of Navistar diesels in the SD's since 1982. The scorpion will also be mated to a 6 speed auto tranny. Their contract ends in 2012.

Here's a some more "talk" of it...

http://www.fomoconews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2079

Thats great! Navistar has been nothing but a thorn in Fords side for years now. Time to cut ties and move in a new direction.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally Posted by acadianabob
Ford has been talking about the small diesel for too long. They are going to lose their competitive jump. It is looking more and more like Chevy and Dodge will be ready and may even beat Ford to market. It also looks like the Chevy will have a huge advantage in torque, and that's what diesels are all about. Reportedly the Chevy will have almost a 100 ft/lb advantage. That's HUGE!! It looks like Ford is about to blow any timing advantage and will come to market with a less than competitive offering.
Whats the point in having all that power if your frame, suspension, etc. can only safely haul 8000lbs?? Ford has the weakest Gas engine but out tow the competition now because of this Probably will see the same thing with the diesel, and still out tow them SAFELY

Old 07-23-2008, 05:38 PM
Another thing about a diesel it would be able to run on about 60% cng which is only $0.85 per gge

Quick Reply: Will Ford blow it on the new light diesel?